Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in a V-I Sleeper. Its name “Croton River” is prominently visible on its side. The other V-I Sleeper on this train also has its name “New River” displayed on its side. All VL Sleepers are Rivers now.
I know that. However I doubt CAF will be delivering any V-I sleepers anytime soon.
I doubt they would seeing that they’re making V-II’s.
default_wink.png

I am in a V-I Sleeper. Its name “Croton River” is prominently visible on its side. The other V-I Sleeper on this train also has its name “New River” displayed on its side. All VL Sleepers are Rivers now.
I know that. However I doubt CAF will be delivering any V-I sleepers anytime soon.
I doubt they would seeing that they’re making V-II’s.
default_wink.png
That was my point.

Remember, they were not originally "Rivers", they were "Views" For a while, the names on the sides were pretty much gone. only the end plates on the doors were there, and some not in good shape. So the renaming of the series in preparation for its expansion is worth some note. Not sure many casual riders realized the cars were named, and now renamed.

Bag-dorms don't have names, right? I was looking at pictures of prototype 69000 and didn't see one on the side, and OTOL isn't showing anything either. Are they only putting names on the cars that carry revenue passengers?

I haven't seen any signs of it, but VL diners are named and they are revenue passenger used, but not sold space, only a few heritage diners had names...the old heritage dorms were named, At this point I'm ready to take book on which comes first, the completion of the VL2 order or "East side access"

I haven't seen any signs of it, but VL diners are named and they are revenue passenger used, but not sold space, only a few heritage diners had names...the old heritage dorms were named, At this point I'm ready to take book on which comes first, the completion of the VL2 order or "East side access"
I'm working backwards from the fact that the bag-dorms and baggage cars don't have names, and revenue passengers never use them, whereas the sleepers and diners do have names, and revenue passengers do use them.

While there may be a list somewhere, I have never seen names for SL trans dorms, and they routinely carry revenue passengers. Heritage dorm cars had names and did not. Sort of like the first day of a PBX school I attended "All port assignments on cards in this switch start with 0, unless they don't"

Last edited by a moderator:
OK Class; time for a "pop quiz":

The next "drop" of V-II Diners wI'll be comprised of:___, ___, and ___.

00-Albany

09-Concord

10-Dover

11-Frankfort

23-Springfield

24-Tallahassee

Separately, there is a report at another site that 8400 has been observed in Chicago and assigned to 391-394, Illini-Saluki as an axle count car.
Well, no one bothered to take your exam, Mr. Norman so every one gets a zero! You are indeed correct in stating the 8400 is is being used an an axle count car.

Waiting on Thirdrail's exit signs...............

Here you go but I have to advise you this may be my last post....if AmtrakBlue catches me:

14395838.jpg

PTpD-m9VOgEnaLMcaSpTPu1g0-xF4TZgA9RVPSoDKeE.jpg

Here comes the the long delayed, "I'm not last" first state representative. I think this sign sums it up!

Dover Damamge.jpg

I have a hunch it's going to be for a "river." That's a shame. I love the V-I sleepers.

Close, but no cigar. Bringing the trio to a quartet is the car with no name. Here is the representatives debut:

View3.png+2.png

It's time for another thread. We'll see if the mods allow it...and Blue doesn't find me!
default_smile.png

00-Albany

09-Concord

10-Dover

11-Frankfort

23-Springfield

24-Tallahassee

Separately, there is a report at another site that 8400 has been observed in Chicago and assigned to 391-394, Illini-Saluki as an axle count car.
Well, no one bothered to take your exam, Mr. Norman so every one gets a zero! You are indeed correct in stating the 8400 is is being used an an axle count car.

Here you go but I have to advise you this may be my last post....if AmtrakBlue catches me:

14395838.jpg

PTpD-m9VOgEnaLMcaSpTPu1g0-xF4TZgA9RVPSoDKeE.jpg

Here comes the the long delayed, "I'm not last" first state representative. I think this sign sums it up!

attachicon.gif
Dover Damamge.jpg

I have a hunch it's going to be for a "river." That's a shame. I love the V-I sleepers.
Close, but no cigar. Bringing the trio to a quartet is the car with no name. Here is the representatives debut:

attachicon.gif
View3.png
attachicon.gif
+2.png

It's time for another thread. We'll see if the mods allow it...and Blue doesn't find me!
default_smile.png
I’m coming for you.IMG_1531590109.012347.jpg

attachicon.gif
View3.png
attachicon.gif
+2.png

default_smile.png
At long last, the Bag-dorms are here. Next time I'm on a train with a bag-dorm, I think I'm going to ask to take a look in. I get that everyone wants the new, pretty sleepers, but I'm really gonna miss the current ones.

The Viewliner Is will temporarily go out of service as they are renovated, which involves removing the toilets from the rooms and installing a shared bathroom for the car. However, it is unlikely that all cars will be out of service at one time and all will eventually return.

Wasn't it to the left of and just above the sink on VL1? I should have said not on mirror side.
V-Is have two outlets, and yes they are to the left of and just above the sink. Meanwhile Superliner roomettes have one outlet, between the window and the seat, so I thought you were talking about that.

00-Albany

09-Concord

10-Dover

11-Frankfort

23-Springfield

24-Tallahassee

With three additional cars on the property, V-II's could be assigned to 50-51, Cardinal. One would be a protect at Wash.

Once again, when Penn is fully reopened, and 48-51 resume service there, the protects assigned at Boston and Wash could be released allowing more of a "cushion".

I was in Chicago 7/13 and 8400 was on a consist in the yard.

No you’re not, they’re not going anywhere.
default_wink.png
As Brian said, it seems like the plan is to eventually renovate the V-Is and bring the interiors "up" to V-II spec.
This is currently not funded and no one seems know if and when it will be funded.

The SL seatback single is why I always have a plug strip in my bag.Some of them have rims around them that make it very sifficult to plug in certain items. Last trip out on the CZ in June, I did see some older cars with new touch light switches and receptacles installed above the seat, but the receptacle was still a single.

No you’re not, they’re not going anywhere.
default_wink.png
As Brian said, it seems like the plan is to eventually renovate the V-Is and bring the interiors "up" to V-II spec.
As Jishnu mentioned, funding is an issue. The key word is “eventually”. I don’t think you have anything to worry about any time soon.

Back