California Zephyr re-routing around Wendover?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FB post says they're still in Fort Morgan waiting for a BNSF crew. Current estimate is 21 hours late into CHI. Amtrak provided dinner for everyone.
Was it a cold dinner?
Probably not. I imagine they either went with AmStew or ordered food to the train. Either way, hot meal.
I was on that train. I do not know what coach passengers were served, but I can tell you everyone was provided meals for each of the three meals that occurred after the scheduled arrival on Saturday 7/7. For sleeping car passengers the meals were as follows:

Dinner in Fort Morgan while awaiting crew was the regular dinner menu minus salad and dessert.

Breakfast the next morning was a doughnut or bagel served with yogurt, grapes, and a clementine.

Lunch was an Angus burger or veggie burger patty served with roasted potatoes.

The on-board service staff did an awesome job in a difficult situation. There were only a few passengers who lost their cool about the situation. Sure the extreme delay was frustrating, but losing one's cool didn't get a crew there any faster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Montello is on the Lucin cutoff between Wells, NV and Ogden, UT that bypasses Wendover and is used if trackwork or other issues plague the regular route.
The Wendover routing requires crossing two mountain ranges — one at the Flower Tunnel and one at Silver Zone Pass. With only one operating engine, the CZ might stall — taking the Lucin Cutoff via Ogden would be the safer course. I’ve done it twice on the CZ when trackwork required the detour.

I've been lucky enough to have traveled the Wyoming detour. It was definitely not a cutoff as freight traffic was also routed through Wyoming and my Zephyr left Salt Lake City on time and arrived Denver AFTER MIDNIGHT instead of the 6 PM hour so approximately 5-6 hours late. I was detraining in Denver so made me very late checking into my hotel in Denver.

Back