Lake Shore Limited, Capitol Limited Rider New Menu Reviews

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
20 posts in and little in the way of comment by "actual riders on the LSL, CL who have experienced the new food service."

Looks like just posts #2 (new cafe menu) and #10 (boxed breakfast).
Yeah, I feel like there would be something to be said for migrating a lot of these posts to the original "Fresh Choices" page.

. I don't see why this is so hard to figure out but then again the actual diner crews on the CL were not reliable either.
Allow me to help you understand why this is so hard to figure. You are proceeding under the assumption that there is an interest in providing an experience. At this point, the main interest is containing costs.

Every single item you stock represents a cost...whether you use it or not. Someone ordered it, loaded it, unloaded it, moved it, stored it, accounted for it etc.

Therefore, it is probably attempting to figure out 'what they can get away with" that is hard. If they give you a hearty enough breakfast, you may not need lunch. If the train runs late, you may not even need/want more food. You may just utilize the cafe car. Should we pack additional food or give vouchers for the cafe? They are probably assessing these things based upon feedback. If the train is routinely 2 hours late and no one complains about lunch, why stock up?
Departing the station represents a cost; so this sounds very lame. Besides the issue is REACTING to very lateness. If the previous chick-a-fill post is to believed, Amtrak seems to have figured it out.

We aren't talking about "experience", rather provide sleeping car passengers with a meal during meal time. You might like to skip lunch; but most people who have already paid for it might think otherwise.

Vouchers for the cafe would be nice; but up to now that has been a no-no. Besides, I can see the cafe running out anyway. The Chick-a-fill method seems to be the solution.

I'm not sure anything earthshaking has been brought up, but I have a number of comments in this thread, and I rode both the LSL and the CL as a sleeper passenger since the changeover. I would hope that qualifies me as part of this group - " actual riders on the LSL, CL who have experienced the new food service." Discussions in other threads have been more pointed and focused, but I certainly am telling it as I saw it. It just may be too early to tell. Hopefully, changes will be made in response to customer feedback.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good point re: quiche. Quiche you can nuke and it's ok.

If this is the future of Amtrak, I'd rather see them reduce the cost of sleepers and let sleeper pax purchase meals in a cafe car with an improved menu. They should utilize the existing and new diners as second cafe cars for sleeper pax, offering pretty much the same menu coach pax get with possibly a few upgrades offered for purchase.

If they want to incorporate some of the new cold items into the sleeper cafe car menus, why not, but they should add some easily heated and served hot food too. For example, oatmeal and/or quiche at breakfast, chili and/or mac/cheese at lunch, and hot beef or turkey with gravy open-faced plated sandwiches with a veggie side at dinner.

If this is the future of Amtrak, I'd rather see them reduce the cost of sleepers and let sleeper pax purchase meals in a cafe car with an improved menu. They should utilize the existing and new diners as second cafe cars for sleeper pax, offering pretty much the same menu coach pax get with possibly a few upgrades offered for purchase.

If they want to incorporate some of the new cold items into the sleeper cafe car menus, why not, but they should add some easily heated and served hot food too. For example, oatmeal and/or quiche at breakfast, chili and/or mac/cheese at lunch, and hot beef or turkey with gravy open-faced plated sandwiches with a veggie side at dinner.

From a whole quiche, you can easily get at least six portions. They could also be pre-packaged as small portions. Microwaving enough to warm quiche does not degrade texture or other qualities, as I do often at home.

Departing the station represents a cost; so this sounds very lame.
I will keep this brief since I don't want to distract from the main point of thread. Departing the station does indeed represent a cost. However, that is a cost that Congress is willing to support...so far. What Congress stated through PRIIA is that Amtrak that Amtrak may not use any subsidies to provide food service. That means it has to break even or Amtrak must foot the bill itself. So, while it may sound lame, the reality of the situation is the food service is under a Congressional mandate to operate without subsidies. I'm pretty sure that is well known, but I guess it is not. There is a difference in the costs of the train and the costs of F&B services.

Besides the issue is REACTING to very lateness. If the previous chick-a-fill post is to believed, Amtrak seems to have figured it out.

We aren't talking about "experience", rather provide sleeping car passengers with a meal during meal time. You might like to skip lunch; but most people who have already paid for it might think otherwise.
And if the train wasn't scheduled during that particular meal period, how could they have paid for it? That occurs now...with full dining car service( I believe there is a thread about it or something related to it.) . They haven't stocked enough food for full meals during disruptions in years....and that is what I was curious about, particularly since PVD said they were "figuring" out lateness and they seemingly cut the express lunch.

At any rate, this line of conversation is probably better saved for the Amtrak's New "Fresh Choices" Dining on CL & LSL

On board the Sliver Meteor tonight. A) Super sized with deadheading equipment, more coaches than normal. B) Ticket passengers who fail to have there ticket scan on a segment , and of course the ticket on this train was canceled and sold to other passengers. Complete sold out train. C.) Sitting in Washington DC with no HEP extended stop on a late train. (More cars deadheading) Left a hour late out of DC. D.) The train length delay the departure out of NY, did not even start board into 4 min before departure.

However one passengers came off the Capital Limited and his reviews was: Junk and Depressing. Stated all of the passengers were also depressed. Willing to pay more for the meals. This guy plans on write a letter. He ask if his steak and crab cakes were available on this train. This guy is 65 and discover Amtrak after Sept 11th he gone sleeper, and does not fly anymore.

Rumors are the Sliver Meteor is also going to downgrade food service. Employee talking about retirement and getting out. (Standard rumors of hot and tired employees, who are dealing with a train that does not fit the platform, and alot of baggage and freight.)

From a whole quiche, you can easily get at least six portions. They could also be pre-packaged as small portions. Microwaving enough to warm quiche does not degrade texture or other qualities, as I do often at home.
Equally bad no matter what you do with it.

What I think would be really amazing is.....

if this topic could stay on topic. Actual reviews and photos from people who have actually eaten the new meals. There are other threads to discuss your dietary restrictions and to speculate on how elimination of steaks will lead to the downfall of public transit.

What I think would be really amazing is.....

if this topic could stay on topic. Actual reviews and photos from people who have actually eaten the new meals. There are other threads to discuss your dietary restrictions and to speculate on how elimination of steaks will lead to the downfall of public transit.
Agree. Let's keep discussion here first-hand reviews of the new dining only. Other discussion can be in the open Lake Shore and Capitol Limited dining topic.

This topic is being discussed in two places. Here is what I posted elsewhere in this forum concerning my actual experience.

I just took the Lake Shore Limited last week in two legs: Chicago to Cleveland July 28th) and then Cleveland to Boston (July 1st) . I sampled the dinner and breakfast boxes on leg one. There was a huge box with a super thick paper napkin and silver colored plastic cutlery. The beef was odd appearing in the beef salad. It was formed beef product circles (approximate 3-inch diameter and 1/4-inch thickness) that looked like brown (beef) and white (fat) lace. Not attractive or tasty. I tried a bit despite the unappetizing appearance; gave up on it; and went to the dessert. It was OK, but nothing special. I hadn't planned to be around for breakfast since the scheduled arrival time was 5:30 am. This was no problem because the train did not arrive in Cleveland until 9:30 am! As others mentioned, you get a container of melon with a box of bread and two bars. I don't eat yogurt so the parfait was tossed out. The giant "blueberry" muffin was poorly made and had only a few blueberries that had sunk to the bottom. I am still looking and the banana bread still in its paper. I may open and taste it tomorrow.

I next took the Cleveland to Boston Lake Shore Limited. It was supposed to leave at 5:50 am but didn't leave until 9:44 am. (Eventually we got into Boston at 1:30 am instead of 8:00 pm). On the trip back, I knew better and chose not to eat out of the box: I grabbed a breakfast sandwich at Dunkin' up the street from the station. For my second meal, I just went to the snack coach and paid for a nice hot burger. My beverage was my complimentary sleeper beverage.

All things considered I'd rather they gave up the pretense of elegance of the green beribboned white box with lemon wet wipe. I felt like this was a big attempt to make us believe we had first class meal service. I would prefer cold conventional sandwiches like ham or tuna and maybe a microwave hamburger and breakfast sandwich options. Perhaps they could also consider an option that included a voucher or coupon to get something from the regular snack car.

I'll also mention that the compartment had a plastic container of toiletries --shower cap, shampoo, soap, body wash, sewing kit, make up accessories. Another "you no longer get a hot meal, but you're still special" ploy.

All things considered, I am more concerned about the extreme lateness. I like sleeper accommodations because of the bed and privacy. However if they still keep a diner car with tables (an option for eating ones box) and a server some limited microwave options should be considered such as the snack car burgers or pizza for dinner/lunch and cold cereal and milk or oatmeal for breakfast

This topic is being discussed in two places. Here is what I posted elsewhere in this forum concerning my actual experience.

I just took the Lake Shore Limited last week in two legs: Chicago to Cleveland July 28th) and then Cleveland to Boston (July 1st) . I sampled the dinner and breakfast boxes on leg one. There was a huge box with a super thick paper napkin and silver colored plastic cutlery. The beef was odd appearing in the beef salad. It was formed beef product circles (approximate 3-inch diameter and 1/4-inch thickness) that looked like brown (beef) and white (fat) lace. Not attractive or tasty. I tried a bit despite the unappetizing appearance; gave up on it; and went to the dessert. It was OK, but nothing special. I hadn't planned to be around for breakfast since the scheduled arrival time was 5:30 am. This was no problem because the train did not arrive in Cleveland until 9:30 am! As others mentioned, you get a container of melon with a box of bread and two bars. I don't eat yogurt so the parfait was tossed out. The giant "blueberry" muffin was poorly made and had only a few blueberries that had sunk to the bottom. I am still looking and the banana bread still in its paper. I may open and taste it tomorrow.
Sorry to hear that you weren't exactly smitten with the food. One thing I'm wondering though: How did you end up with a dinner box on 448 on that first leg? It leaves Chicago too late for dinner...

From another thread:

I missed bacon for breakfast, but was okay with the box. It had yogurt with granola, a kind bar, a large blueberry muffin, and a good amount of fruit. The couple next to us mentioned it was a lot of food and the attendant said they took away the banana bread and a granola bar last week due to comments it was too much food.

It was definitely better than not having anything and I still have the kind bars. It was a shame to see the large cooking area empty. It looked really nice.

Thought people might appreciate a guest report on the LD meal situation, from a week or so ago.

Capitol Ltd: Boarded in TOL, so did not experience the boxed dinner from the night before; other passengers indicated they liked it. The boxed breakfast, however.... I call it "The Sugar Bomb." Here's what you get. A Kashi bar (sugar), a yogurt parfait with vanilla sweetened yogurt (sugar) and granola (sugar) and blueberries (healthy sugar). A fruit plate (also healthy sugar). A muffin (and as we all know, muffins are cupcakes). This is a travesty of a breakfast for anyone who depends on some form of protein in the morning. Would it be that much trouble to subsitute the Kashi bar or muffin with cheddar, mozz or other packaged cheese? (Like what is sold in the cafe car?) It seems somehow wrong to advise sleeping car passengers to bring their own food.. but if you're on the chronically late Train 30, probably want to consider it. Mind you, the blueberries were good, all 6 of them, and part of the fruit plate (I don't eat melons, enjoyed the grapes and mango slices). However with no lunch service, the so called 1st class fare paying passengers can help with the cafe car income stream, or pack your own. I have to have some small amount of protein in the morning, it doesn't have to be a full hot breakfast but the Sugar Bomb is not acceptable. Also, it comes with a lavish amount of excess packaging including marketing messages describing how the packaging is actually green and sustainable. Likely done with the Cap and will board the Silver in NYP or DC from now on.

Silver Meteor: Traditional meal service still present in dining car, although on this trip, no steaks if you boarded in WAS. Not acceptable that "a large group ordered all the steaks." No fish either. We made do with the chicken, and the service could have been a little less surly, but I think they they were busy and tired. Breakfast items - had enough omelletes, thankfully, although if you wanted the quesadilla you were out of luck. Lunch: Well, the "Group" was detraining in Orlando so the passengers at later stops got their leftovers for lunch, too. No dessert left other than sugar free vanilla pudding. I'm not a big dessert person, but the younger generation wasn't pleased. Had I been paying for this trip cash instead of using AGR points I would have been livid.

We traditionally take the train down to Miami and fly home.

Thanks for posting this, we need more as these actual reports from the road (as opposed to speculation, or I heard from the friend of my cousin.....).

The consistent issue that is being reported lately is poor stocking of those trains that still offer traditional dining car service.

Some items are being reported as short stocked, and others not available at all.

Ken

Thought people might appreciate a guest report on the LD meal situation, from a week or so ago.

Capitol Ltd: Boarded in TOL, so did not experience the boxed dinner from the night before; other passengers indicated they liked it. The boxed breakfast, however.... I call it "The Sugar Bomb." Here's what you get. A Kashi bar (sugar), a yogurt parfait with vanilla sweetened yogurt (sugar) and granola (sugar) and blueberries (healthy sugar). A fruit plate (also healthy sugar). A muffin (and as we all know, muffins are cupcakes). This is a travesty of a breakfast for anyone who depends on some form of protein in the morning. Would it be that much trouble to subsitute the Kashi bar or muffin with cheddar, mozz or other packaged cheese? (Like what is sold in the cafe car?) It seems somehow wrong to advise sleeping car passengers to bring their own food.. but if you're on the chronically late Train 30, probably want to consider it. Mind you, the blueberries were good, all 6 of them, and part of the fruit plate (I don't eat melons, enjoyed the grapes and mango slices). However with no lunch service, the so called 1st class fare paying passengers can help with the cafe car income stream, or pack your own. I have to have some small amount of protein in the morning, it doesn't have to be a full hot breakfast but the Sugar Bomb is not acceptable. Also, it comes with a lavish amount of excess packaging including marketing messages describing how the packaging is actually green and sustainable. Likely done with the Cap and will board the Silver in NYP or DC from now on.

Silver Meteor: Traditional meal service still present in dining car, although on this trip, no steaks if you boarded in WAS. Not acceptable that "a large group ordered all the steaks." No fish either. We made do with the chicken, and the service could have been a little less surly, but I think they they were busy and tired. Breakfast items - had enough omelletes, thankfully, although if you wanted the quesadilla you were out of luck. Lunch: Well, the "Group" was detraining in Orlando so the passengers at later stops got their leftovers for lunch, too. No dessert left other than sugar free vanilla pudding. I'm not a big dessert person, but the younger generation wasn't pleased. Had I been paying for this trip cash instead of using AGR points I would have been livid.

Pretty accurate review. Mirrors my wife and my experience on the CL and Meteor this week. Would note that on that last two trips on the Meteor, we were told no mussels were stocked and the pecan tarts seem to be no longer stocked though on the menu.

It's cold food in box. Nothing to write home about. Because my CL was late I had three boxed meals. Because of dietary concerns I skipped a breakfast box and opted for the antipasto box for a breakfast.
This option is super important. It makes the difference between "something to eat" and "nothing at all to eat".

The Sugar Bomb breakfast is simply not acceptable.

Thought people might appreciate a guest report on the LD meal situation, from a week or so ago.Capitol Ltd: Boarded in TOL, so did not experience the boxed dinner from the night before; other passengers indicated they liked it. The boxed breakfast, however.... I call it "The Sugar Bomb." Here's what you get. A Kashi bar (sugar), a yogurt parfait with vanilla sweetened yogurt (sugar) and granola (sugar) and blueberries (healthy sugar). A fruit plate (also healthy sugar). A muffin (and as we all know, muffins are cupcakes). This is a travesty of a breakfast for anyone who depends on some form of protein in the morning. Would it be that much trouble to subsitute the Kashi bar or muffin with cheddar, mozz or other packaged cheese? (Like what is sold in the cafe car?) It seems somehow wrong to advise sleeping car passengers to bring their own food.. but if you're on the chronically late Train 30, probably want to consider it. Mind you, the blueberries were good, all 6 of them, and part of the fruit plate (I don't eat melons, enjoyed the grapes and mango slices). However with no lunch service, the so called 1st class fare paying passengers can help with the cafe car income stream, or pack your own. I have to have some small amount of protein in the morning, it doesn't have to be a full hot breakfast but the Sugar Bomb is not acceptable. Also, it comes with a lavish amount of excess packaging including marketing messages describing how the packaging is actually green and sustainable. Likely done with the Cap and will board the Silver in NYP or DC from now on.Silver Meteor: Traditional meal service still present in dining car, although on this trip, no steaks if you boarded in WAS. Not acceptable that "a large group ordered all the steaks." No fish either. We made do with the chicken, and the service could have been a little less surly, but I think they they were busy and tired. Breakfast items - had enough omelletes, thankfully, although if you wanted the quesadilla you were out of luck. Lunch: Well, the "Group" was detraining in Orlando so the passengers at later stops got their leftovers for lunch, too. No dessert left other than sugar free vanilla pudding. I'm not a big dessert person, but the younger generation wasn't pleased. Had I been paying for this trip cash instead of using AGR points I would have been livid.

Pretty accurate review. Mirrors my wife and my experience on the CL and Meteor this week. Would note that on that last two trips on the Meteor, we were told no mussels were stocked and the pecan tarts seem to be no longer stocked though on the menu.
Just traveled Round-trip sleeper from PGH to CHI and I can say thats pretty much the same as what I saw. The wife and I split a breakfast box on the way out and it was enough to tide us over till we found some real food in Chicago. A full one each would have filled us up with crap empty calories. Lucky we traveled on a Sunday and got to eat tacos at Rubis in the Maxwell Street market. Incredibly long line but definitely worth it. In fairness, its hard for Amtrak to compete with any food in Chicago, but seems theyre not even trying. :)
Same coming back, filled up on excellent Montreal pastrami at the French market and did not depend on finding anything on board. The menu offered a number of cold food boxes, the choice for me would have been some type of steak salad, cant remember the exact description.

As to the amenity kits, seems to me thats a giant waste of money. Shampoo, Conditioner, and some type of lotion. A little disc of soap, a sewing kit (!), Shower cap, and some other odds and ends. At this point, Im used to bringing my own shampoo, body wash, and a poofy shower scrub. We got one on the trip out for the room, which I thought was sufficient. On the way back they gave us one each.

On the upside, we did get our free drink even though we did not order dinner, although the attendant packaging the box dinners seemed to be overwhelmed by having to bag up dinners for eight rooms at once and was upset that I had the temerity to try and order two bourbon and ginger ales while she was doing it. This after the sleeper car attendant scheduled me to go get my two drinks at 8 PM.If that flusters you, maybe youre in the wrong line of work?

Scheduled to get your drinks at 8pm. What a complete joke of service.

Amtrak knows how to run this type of service thats the sad part. The parlor car attendant, served sit down prepared meals and was happy to play bartender at the same time. The PPC attendants were some of Amtraks best, but even the last minute fill ins did an admirable job.

This sounds like its set up to fail from the top down. At this point why not get an Acela crew on the these two trains at least they know how to heat up and serve meals....Oh I forget what I just said, its set up to fail...

Ha! There were plenty of lousy PPC attendants, trust me. It's just that the diner LSA's on the Starlight made them look pleasant!

(There was one diner LSA on the Starlight, an older lady, that was just lovely though).

Ha! There were plenty of lousy PPC attendants, trust me. It's just that the diner LSA's on the Starlight made them look pleasant!

(There was one diner LSA on the Starlight, an older lady, that was just lovely though).
This! I only had One PPC attendant,can't remember her name, ( what a shame this concept hasn't been continued with CCCs or even a Second SSL)as good as the Diner Crews on my several trips on the Canadian. YMMV

I can't remember her name, but she was very proud of the PPC, and would advertise her "famous" blood Mary's. She was great. Another gentleman I had more than once was very kind, and did a good job of keeping the purple chairs "unreserved" (he would move any items that were holding a seat). I liked him, but he got very flustered if someone wanted a drink during meal service or interrupted his routine during wine tasting.

The others I had were almost surly and seemed annoyed that you wanted to eat a meal in the PPC.

Back