Northeast Regional WiFi

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Given all the complaints we hear, sometimes it's nice to be able to give a compliment. I don't remember when it happened, but they've really upgraded the wifi in the NER and at least in Baltimore and Washington stations. Not only is signing on a lot easier, but you can actually stream stuff. Kudos to Amtrak for wifi that is actually useful.

Given all the complaints we hear, sometimes it's nice to be able to give a compliment. I don't remember when it happened, but they've really upgraded the wifi in the NER and at least in Baltimore and Washington stations. Not only is signing on a lot easier, but you can actually stream stuff. Kudos to Amtrak for wifi that is actually useful.
I agree that WiFi has gotten better, but are they actually letting people stream stuff now? Or do you still have to stream through a VPN like I do?

I agree that WiFi has gotten better, but are they actually letting people stream stuff now? Or do you still have to stream through a VPN like I do?
Seriously? You admit to streaming which makes it much worse for everyone else?

They allocate each person a certain bandwidth depending on how much is available and how many people are using it. So one person trying to stream a video won't affect other people's usage, since you'll always be limited to a certain amount of bandwidth.

They allocate each person a certain bandwidth depending on how much is available and how many people are using it. So one person trying to stream a video won't affect other people's usage, since you'll always be limited to a certain amount of bandwidth.
Then why are you trying to get around the terms and conditions? If they only allocated a certain kpbs per person there would be no reason to block

streaming sites other than a lack of quality video. Streaming is not allowed per their rules. There's a reason they are building their own trackside wireless network so they can provide more bandwith to the riders.

Then why are you trying to get around the terms and conditions? If they only allocated a certain kpbs per person there would be no reason to block

streaming sites other than a lack of quality video. Streaming is not allowed per their rules. There's a reason they are building their own trackside wireless network so they can provide more bandwith to the riders.
Amtrak used to block video and music streaming, but with upgrades that restriction is no longer in effect. Maybe the terms and conditions still state such, but no one reads the T&Cs and it is no longer blocked. Even the long hauls have had back haul upgrades. Can't remember the last time I had a complaint about WiFi onboard not working or running slowly.

Can't remember the last time I had a complaint about WiFi onboard not working or running slowly.
Riding perhaps 15-20 trips per year on regional trains in the NEC, only ONCE have I had 'good' wifi speeds...and that was about a year ago! Loss of signal or response times as long as 5 minutes happen way too often...especially on packed regional trains (no surprise, really). Both my laptop and cellphone had nearly non-existent WiFi on train #148 several weeks ago. And after switching to diesel at NHV, NONE!

Yes, station WiFi installations have improved, but are still dismal at NYP and BOS...and that's in the ClubAcela lounges that I can use as I have Select Plus status. CHI Wifi is OK, LAX OK, PDX,..slow.

Supposedly, Amtrak is working on improving WiFi capabilities, but in my opinion, it's still only 'moderately usable'. For starters, WiFi should be available on ALL trains including LDs! (#29/30, 1/2,11/14 (spotty), 7/8/27/28 do NOT have Wifi, as of 2 months ago, when I rode each of them! From what I can tell, they don't have sufficient router capabilities on each train, so only 2 WiFi channels seem to be available...one is 802.11a and 802.11n, one channel each as I recall. Why not more channels? Why not 802.11AC? The last time I rode an Acela (using an upgrade coupon), I was quite happy with the speeds...and that was 2+ years ago.

And after switching to diesel at NHV, NONE!
You mean on the New Haven–Springfield Line? In my experience, that WiFi is actually better than on most of the NEC, probably because there are significantly fewer people connected to a single access point, especially if you're on a two-car Shuttle!
default_mosking.gif

Then why are you trying to get around the terms and conditions? If they only allocated a certain kpbs per person there would be no reason to blockstreaming sites other than a lack of quality video. Streaming is not allowed per their rules. There's a reason they are building their own trackside wireless network so they can provide more bandwith to the riders.
Amtrak used to block video and music streaming, but with upgrades that restriction is no longer in effect. Maybe the terms and conditions still state such, but no one reads the T&Cs and it is no longer blocked. Even the long hauls have had back haul upgrades. Can't remember the last time I had a complaint about WiFi onboard not working or running slowly.
Do you know what the upgrades have included specifically?

Tuesday night I was coming back to WAS from NYP and noticed that my laptop seemed to even have service inside some of the tunnels. It looked like I was actually able to navigate to pages while in the Hudson tubes too!

Only place i noticed I lost internet access was while stopped on the Philly platforms.

I have to say the WiFi from my perspective has indeed gotten much better.

Unfortunately, for me, the two-car NHV-SPG shuttle varies from 'OK' to non-existent - eg, down. The conductors haven't a clue how to reset it based on my experience with a couple of them. However, a couple years ago, on the Vermonter, the conductor knew exactly where to go in the lounge car and 'fixed' it. So it's hit and miss in my opinion. At least the shuttles are back after 3 years of the stink buggies. I always ride 'uneasy' if I'm not the one driving the car (or bus...I'm not a bus driver). Riding the bus in the winter always had me on the edge of my tiny seat.

Actually, 802.11AC really isn't necessary. BUT...having more channels available onboard for each makes all the difference in the world. Maybe I should burn up some more AGR points and ride the Acela again to see how they have great WiFi.

Unfortunately, for me, the two-car NHV-SPG shuttle varies from 'OK' to non-existent - eg, down. The conductors haven't a clue how to reset it based on my experience with a couple of them. However, a couple years ago, on the Vermonter, the conductor knew exactly where to go in the lounge car and 'fixed' it. So it's hit and miss in my opinion. At least the shuttles are back after 3 years of the stink buggies. I always ride 'uneasy' if I'm not the one driving the car (or bus...I'm not a bus driver). Riding the bus in the winter always had me on the edge of my tiny seat.

Actually, 802.11AC really isn't necessary. BUT...having more channels available onboard for each makes all the difference in the world. Maybe I should burn up some more AGR points and ride the Acela again to see how they have great WiFi.
It's more like the conductors aren't suppose to reset it, as in weird situations it could make problems worse. They are suppose to call IT and they can sometimes reset things on their end and get it functioning again, or they may instruct the conductor to reset it manually.

Back