Coast Starlight diversion between Klamath Falls and Eugene?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UP announced that the tunnel repairs are to be completed tomorrow afternoon (via TO). https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4577616

Thank goodness! Though big disappoint too. I had a pretty good backup plan put together. I sort of wish I went with that plan in the first plsbe.
default_wink.png

Thanks for posting! Oh but I will believe it when trains start running again.
default_wink.png

Amtrak is still showing booked Eugene to Sacramento and vice versa on the 25th. Guess they are skeptical like me.
default_wink.png

It may be possible that resumption of passenger trains may be held a couple of days or so after re-opening the tunnel to freight traffic.. In the northwest, BNSF has a passenger train "moratorium" for what, 72 hours after a slide is cleared?

Just a thought on my part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry- been offline on deadline & out of loop on this Cascades Subdivision Tunnel #11 collapse until today.
Be that as it may, Charlie notes UP may reopen tunnel 20 June. Thanks, CHamilton.

Here's a link to Gewgle Maps location:

https://tinyurl.com/ybt6wtzm

and I found these photos onlne, purportedly of Tunnel 11 damage.

That area is semi accessible: I have family in Oakridge.

Cascade Tunnel 11 collapse1.jpg

Cascade Tunnel 11 collapse2.jpg

Cascade Tunnel 11 collapse3.jpg

Sorry- been offline on deadline & out of loop on this Cascades Subdivision Tunnel #11 collapse until today.

Be that as it may, Charlie notes UP may reopen tunnel 20 June. Thanks, CHamilton.

Here's a link to Gewgle Maps location:

https://tinyurl.com/ybt6wtzm

and I found these photos onlne, purportedly of Tunnel 11 damage.

That area is semi accessible: I have family in Oakridge.
For the amount of damage that is shown it is amazing they are getting the tunnel opened so quickly.

It may be possible that resumption of passenger trains may be held a couple of days or so after re-opening the tunnel to freight traffic.. In the northwest, BNSF has a passenger train "moratorium" for what, 72 hours after a slide is cleared?

Just a thought on my part.
It was actually stated in an article that I read that freight would resume before passenger trains. That is good let those freight trains give the tunnel a good test first.
default_wink.png

Reminds me of that tunnel at Thistle, UT. collapsing, at about the time Amtrak was to move over to the Rio Grande route from Denver to SLC...that was a major disaster, that took about 5 months to fix....

I certainly hope that this doesn't turn into something similar....
That wasn't a tunnel collapse, that was massive landslide that covered the tracks, US 6 and dammed the river. They had to build an entirely new railroad for about 5 miles, IIRC, that climbs up the side of the canyon. The tunnels in that general area are now there are part of the new railroad, not the old one on the bottom of the canyon, which didn't have a tunnel there.
Good correction! I had forgotten the 'details' of that...

Now that's good news...as the UP used to say: "We can handle it".....
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Or as the graffiti artist noted:

"WE CAN HANDLE IT"

"and handle it"

"and handle it"

"and handle it"

"and handle it"

"and handle it"

While 14 still shows as "sold out" on Sunday 6/24 and Monday 6/25, it looks like they reinstated the train for this Saturday 6/23. Since this train was previously cancelled, I believe all reservations were cancelled, so the reinstated train is now basically empty. All buckets appear to be at the lowest price. Looking for a last minute trip at a great price? This is it (assuming the train runs).

Back