Finally a sleeper sale!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmtrakFlyer

Service Attendant
One rail fare free with one purchased for roommette. Not huge seeing its only $176 Lax to Chicago but good advertising.

Book through Tuesday and enjoy

a Roomette for two on select routes

BOOK TODAY

Get on board for your next exciting trip and experience the country in a unique way. When you book a Roomette now through Tuesday, you can get a companion rail fare for free when you buy one adult fare. Roomettes offer comfortable seats by day and sleeping accommodations at night. Select Roomette fares are on sale for travel between August 20, 2018 and February 15, 2019, so get ready to travel for less during our Roomette for two for the price of one sale.

Interesting that they describe what a roomette is but not that it includes meals. I dont read anything into it except another missed opportunity to highlight the diners and the great value sleepers can be.

Buy one, get one railfare free for Roomette travel.

Must Purchase June 20 - June 26, 2018

Must Travel August 20, 2018 - February 15, 2019

Origin Blackout Date: November 25, 2018

Not valid on southbound Auto Train #53.

Book using discount code V555.

This is literally the first sleeper-only sale I've seen in as long as I can remember (I think there might have been a "standard" situation on the Auto Train involving kids, but that's all I can recall). I'm going to confess that I'm a little bit mixed on it...given Amtrak's generalized track record here, it feels both gimmicky (which is sort-of the definition of a sale) and possibly a sign of weak sales overall (the YTD data suggests this)...in turn, possibly due to overpricing tickets at times.

Interesting that they describe what a roomette is but not that it includes meals.
The email does not mention that, but the offer page on Amtrak dot com makes the inclusion of meals abundantly clear. Nowhere in the fine print, however, does it say that some roomette passengers will not receive meals.

A sleeper sale probably indicates that the sleepers are not being regularly sold out. With the elimination of hot meals, I believe that sleeper sales will fall l off a bit on the LSL and CL . It will take more time to see if there is a significant impact on sales and to determine if this sale being offered to compensate for this. As far as my opinion goes, I wouldn't book a sleeper on these Eastern routes right now if they gave it to us for free.

This is literally the first sleeper-only sale I've seen in as long as I can remember (I think there might have been a "standard" situation on the Auto Train involving kids, but that's all I can recall).
Last year, Amtrak Vacations had a $99/person roomette upgrade sale. Not quite Amtrak, but it was a sleeper sale.

A sleeper sale probably indicates that the sleepers are not being regularly sold out. With the elimination of hot meals, I believe that sleeper sales will fall l off a bit on the LSL and CL . It will take more time to see if there is a significant impact on sales and to determine if this sale being offered to compensate for this. As far as my opinion goes, I wouldn't book a sleeper on these Eastern routes right now if they gave it to us for free.
Probably more to do with this from the announcement about charters and discounts than about the LSL and CL meals.

Automatic Discounts

Amtrak has eliminated distribution agreements with private company membership clubs which obtain significant discounts for free from Amtrak and then charge fees to their members for use of the Amtrak discount rates. Instead, we will use our revenue management system to sell targeted discounts to our customers throughout the year. This week we are running a big Spring Sale to drive ridership through Amtrak.com. Please note that we continue our statutory discount programs for the disabled and seniors; we also have a generous discount program for active duty military members and their families.

I just booked our trip from FL. to DC in a roomette (we will take our own dinner) on the Star, the sale didn't apply to the Meteor. Hubby and I are just getting away for a quick late anniversary trip in Oct.On way back we are on Meteor (utilizing Meteors 7 pm departure time) doing coach because there is no sale on that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Automatic Discounts

Amtrak has eliminated distribution agreements with private company membership clubs which obtain significant discounts for free from Amtrak and then charge fees to their members for use of the Amtrak discount rates. Instead, we will use our revenue management system to sell targeted discounts to our customers throughout the year. This week we are running a big Spring Sale to drive ridership through Amtrak.com. Please note that we continue our statutory discount programs for the disabled and seniors; we also have a generous discount program for active duty military members and their families.
Should I be concerned that they're getting rid of the NARP discount?
default_unsure.png

Automatic Discounts

default_unsure.png
I believe that NARP/RPA lobbied hard to retain the discount. I would not be too concerned right now.

default_unsure.png
I believe that NARP/RPA lobbied hard to retain the discount. I would not be too concerned right now.
Thanks. It was frustrating enough when they got rid of the student discount (which was a 15% discount instead of the 10% of NARP), so I've been getting nervous as they cut away at more and more discounts.

Back