Amtrak's New "Fresh Choices" Dining on CL & LSL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Frankly, I think the amenity kit looks pretty useless and wasteful. Especially since the inconsistency of Amtrak service makes it imprudent NOT to bring your own toiletries etc.
I have several unopened amenity kits from the last time they were been handed out on the Lake Shore Limited. I agree with the wasteful. Yes the lounge should be able to sell you one in case you failed to pack one, but as freebies no, not needed.

I thought they pretty much did away with Table Cloth during the Boardman Flower Vase massacre. I know some trains on occasion do have Flowers showing up, but has Table Cloth shown up anywhere since then?
I would have sworn that they had tablecloths when I last rode the Meteor (January).
At least one Sliver Dining crew is using tablecloths under the paper sheet. With silk flowers too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Frankly, I think the amenity kit looks pretty useless and wasteful. Especially since the inconsistency of Amtrak service makes it imprudent NOT to bring your own toiletries etc.
I would think the amenity kits are comped to Amtrak and airlines by the companies slinging the products. They are sample-size portions offered in hopes the user likes them and buys the standard size products. In this case, the only expense Amtrak would have is getting the items to the stations to be loaded onto the trains.

I was just looking at the QANTAS site and it looks like they have gone to box service in Economy:

"No more trays and more meal choices - we've revolutionised the way you eat onboard. The meal service is quicker, with meals being delivered and cleared faster; giving you more time to do the things you want to do.

You can look forward to exciting dishes such as spiced lamb koftas with tomato, Riverina feta and roast potatoes; honey chicken salad with roasted vegetables and farro or yellow curry barramundi with jasmine rice."

But if they can offer hot boxed meals to over 100 pax from airliner galleys, I would think Amtrak should be able to offer hot boxed meals as well! BRING BACK AMLAMB!!!

I have several unopened amenity kits from the last time they were been handed out on the Lake Shore Limited. I agree with the wasteful. Yes the lounge should be able to sell you one in case you failed to pack one, but as freebies no, not needed.

I'd rather have a hot dinner or breakfast any day than an amenity kit, especially when I can't be confident I'll even get it. I doubt I'm alone in that. As Tricia said, things are so inconsistent that I'd be afraid not to bring my own toiletries anyway, which makes the kit superfluous.

Also, I seldom drink alcohol, so that free drink ranks well below regular meal choices. I don't even drink many soft drinks, and I can buy those if I want. Better meal selections are far more basic than perks are on a long distance train. And for what sleepers cost... I just don't see this being good for Amtrak overall. Cuts and downgrades add up and do affect the total travel experience.

And yes, (again) I know that was then and this is now, but to see those brand new expensive kitchens sit unused just makes Amtrak look terribly short-sighted and wasteful. I really hope this new plan doesn't spread to the other routes that still have full dining car service. (Crescent, I'm looking at you for later this summer!)

I would think the amenity kits are comped to Amtrak and airlines by the companies slinging the products. They are sample-size portions offered in hopes the user likes them and buys the standard size products. In this case, the only expense Amtrak would have is getting the items to the stations to be loaded onto the trains.
Yeah, with hotels dropping the sample bottles, the companies need to find a home for their inventory. (At least one hotel I stayed in recently had dispensers, not bottles)

Food Facts for the Lake Shore Limited has been updated, and the lunch/dinner options as expected, have sky high sodium counts,

this includes the Kids Meal.

Only the Breakfast Meal has a lower sodium count.

For someone like me who has to watch sodium in take like a hawk, I can not have any of the lunch/dinner options.

http://www.amtrakfoodfacts.com/restimg2/force/template/1/Amtrak__Food_Facts/w612/h396/AMFF-SPRING-2018-CPT-LSL-04.pdf

Ken
Not only the sodium in that, the calories, fat, cholesterol and sugar are pretty high too! Well, it does have 8 grams of fiber!

In my discussion with some of the crew, I heard that they do not get food on board - they are given (what sounded to me to be) a per diem. So, they can spend their per diem in the cafe, or bank it and bring their own. They are not allocated boxes. Also, for someone traveling on Amtrak business, they have to pay $40 per boxed meal, but are reimbursed.
Amtrak employees riding on business travel can purchase the meal box for $25.

Originally, I was mortified by these changes, and wanted to raise hell with my congressman, but now I am really intothe changes. The ammentity kits look very promising and high end. The food actually is trendy and modern, perfect for the trendy CL and LSL routes. I am sure they will roll out warm options as soon as the kinks are worked out. Originally I thought these changes were meant to run it into the ground, but now it seems actually more comparable to LH buisness class. The ammenity kit was deffinitly the biggest sign that there was no plans to scrap the route. I think we need to embrace these changes and support a more modern Amtrak future.
I strongly disagree. I don't think that they're going to add hot meals "as soon as the kinks are worked out," since the entire point of this was to significantly reduce food prep costs and labour, and hot meals would require onboard meal prep. I'm also not sure what you mean when you say that the CL and LSL are trendy (or the meals themselves), but I can tell you that what was offered before was significantly better in pretty much every way. There was full table service, several hot options at every meal, as well as side salads and desserts. Now you don't have any choice for breakfast, and lunch and dinner both offer the same five options (only one of which doesn't have meat), which don't allow you to choose your dessert. And you should know that Lufthansa business class (or pretty much any international business class for that matter), offers hot meals and a choice of dessert. The new meal offerings on the Capitol and Lake Shore are not even in the same league. And I'll mention that the amenity kit is pretty run of the mill, and not every crew has actually been giving them out - many passengers haven't gotten them at all. A kit like that can be gotten for around $10 from plenty of stores, so even if you do receive one, it's pretty much nothing compared to the $500+ a sleeper ticket often costs on those trains.

I gave my feedback onboard to an Amtrak rep who was surveying.

I understand the disdain for the changes. Dont knock all of the food until youve tried it. The chicken kale Caesar was markedly better than every meal Ive had prepared in the diners in the last 20 years.

I understand the disdain for the changes. Dont knock all of the food until youve tried it. The chicken kale Caesar was markedly better than every meal Ive had prepared in the diners in the last 20 years.
I'm glad that the salads seem to be very good, however, until I hear that the Vegan Wrap is great (and the "Vegan Dessert Bar" it includes), I'm out of luck.

I'm glad that the salads seem to be very good, however, until I hear that the Vegan Wrap is great (and the "Vegan Dessert Bar" it includes), I'm out of luck.
I gave this feedback (increasing choices for dietary needs) and suggested they look into order-ahead. I also suggested that they look at what ÖBB has done on their NightJet service. The person I spoke to from Amtrak was very open to it. She also lamented the destruction of the opportunity to build community in the diner - and I suggested that they may be able to still encourage that with more engagement from the LSA.

Close... Currently the longest flight is 18 hours.
Must be anAllegiant flight as tey all seem that long.
default_mosking.gif

It's not that the cold boxed meals are "bad" in themselves; it's that they are the only option for lunch and dinner. I'd probably choose one for one day's lunch, although the option of at least a burger would be nice. For the main meal of the day, they are very light fare, especially for more than one day. The high-carb breakfast is a huge downgrade from the traditional cooked breakfast choices.

For what sleeper tickets cost, more meal options should be available. Then there are the coach passengers who are totally left out, with only the cafe food available. Every time I've ever ridden coach on a long distance train, I've eaten in the dining car, as have my travel companion(s). The food was much better than anything offered in the cafe. I'm also one who greatly enjoys the total dining car experience, and am happy that the long-awaited new dining cars have finally (mostly) arrived.

Like some others, I have to be doubtful that hot meals will be added later, as that would seem to defeat the purpose of going to the boxed meals, but we can hope. A larger concern is that this plan will spread to the other long distance trains with longer routes. There's been quite a trend of downgrading food service on several trains already.

People are funny about food. As a retired teacher, I know that participation in brief after-hours school activities, for both students and parents, was greatly increased if we fed them. Unlike other modes of transportation, passengers on long distance routes are held captive in the train for long periods of time, and good food choices are important. While it's not the only factor, it is a factor in choosing how to travel. Personally, I take the train for the total experience, as I don't mind driving reasonable distances and, while I don't especially enjoy it, I don't mind flying which certainly saves a lot of time, and usually money too. I hope the dining cars--used as dining cars--don't go away.

It sounding more and more like the new meals are higher quality than the old-style diner food. Or at least what the old-style stuff had become.

I don't buy the argument that the new menu is too light, on calories or nutrition. Just checked the food facts link. The boxed dinner/lunches run from 1,110 to 1,240 calories (with 29 to 57 grams of protein), and the breakfast is 1,600 calories with 42 grams of protein. That's a whole day's worth of calories and protein in two meals, based on the recommended daily allowance for an adult male.

The menu is generally high in fat, but on the salads at least, it looks like most of it is in the dressing – how much you use is up to you – and the dessert, which you don't have to eat either. That brings down the calorie count, which also leaves room for a third meal in the day.

I hope this menu makes it to the Starlight and Zephyr soon.

It's not that the cold boxed meals are "bad" in themselves; it's that they are the only option for lunch and dinner. I'd probably choose one for one day's lunch, although the option of at least a burger would be nice. For the main meal of the day, they are very light fare, especially for more than one day. The high-carb breakfast is a huge downgrade from the traditional cooked breakfast choices.

[snip]

Like some others, I have to be doubtful that hot meals will be added later, as that would seem to defeat the purpose of going to the boxed meals, but we can hope. A larger concern is that this plan will spread to the other long distance trains with longer routes. There's been quite a trend of downgrading food service on several trains already.

It sounding more and more like the new meals are higher quality than the old-style diner food. Or at least what the old-style stuff had become.

I don't buy the argument that the new menu is too light, on calories or nutrition. Just checked the food facts link. The boxed dinner/lunches run from 1,110 to 1,240 calories (with 29 to 57 grams of protein), and the breakfast is 1,600 calories with 42 grams of protein. That's a whole day's worth of calories and protein in two meals, based on the recommended daily allowance for an adult male.
You can't just judge meals on calories and nothing else. A Big Mac has 563 calories, but that doesn't mean the average adult should eat four Big Macs a day and nothing else. There's a tremendous amount of sodium in most of the new entrees, and there are very limited options for those with dietary restrictions. So I personally don't think the new menu is very healthy, and don't see why much indication that it's particularly high quality.

I'm not seeing Big Macs on the menu. What I am seeing is more fruit and vegetables, and better quality control, than before.

"Limited options" is not the same as no options. Amtrak is not a 3-star restaurant. It's a means of transportation. There's enough food and choice on the new menu to get pretty much anyone from point A to point B. My dietary restriction is I don't like to eat crap, so I eat before I get on a long distance train and/or bring my own food. Or I just accept that travel is about novelty and stretching my comfort zone, and get over myself.

Other than Amtrak I haven't see anyone asking you to buy anything so I'm not sure why you're so fired up about this. Just to be clear, an adult male doesn't need anywhere near that many calories when all they're doing is sitting and sleeping on a train. Also, calories don't measure how full you'll feel after eating and having reviewed the current offerings they don't look like they'd fill me up for the long haul. The rather sparse looking snack box and the cold breakfast box are the least appetizing examples. The salads and sandwiches look okay as a lunch but they don't appeal to me as an evening dinner meal. If riding in an Amtrak sleeper were cheaper I might not care, but where I live and travel it's $500 or more each way and these meals don't do a good job of complementing that kind of expenditure.

I hope this menu makes it to the Starlight and Zephyr soon.
In my experience the Zephyr's dining car staff can be so rude and obnoxious that it might actually be an improvement to kick them off and replace their efforts with generic boxed meals, but the Starlight certainly doesn't deserve this kind of shabby treatment.
default_laugh.png

You can't just judge meals on calories and nothing else. A Big Mac has 563 calories, but that doesn't mean the average adult should eat four Big Macs a day and nothing else. There's a tremendous amount of sodium in most of the new entrees, and there are very limited options for those with dietary restrictions. So I personally don't think the new menu is very healthy, and don't see why much indication that it's particularly high quality.

Perhaps I should clarify, although I think most people would understand what I meant in my post.

By "light" I wasn't thinking of numbers. A salad with a few pieces of cold meat on top and a dessert is "light" (even if high-calorie) compared with say, a steak or steak and seafood dinner that includes a small salad, a baked potato, a vegetable such as green beans, a roll, and a dessert, or even a salmon dinner that includes similar sides.

If the new breakfast has 1,600 calories, it's even worse than I thought, and makes my point better than I did. If I'm going to spring for that many calories, I at least want bacon and eggs, LOL. It's hard to see that 1,600-calorie breakfast as any kind of improvement.

These are just my personal preferences, of course.

I'm "so fired up about this" because the new menu looks to me like a significant improvement in food quality, choice, service and experience. I like salads, I like having two salads and a vegan meal to choose from, I like seeing my meal before I buy it, I like not having to rely on random chance to get a well prepared meal, I like picking up my meal myself when it suits me, I like eating my meal where it suits me and I like not being shoehorned into a table for, as some posters seem to think, the entertainment of strangers.

I'll buy that any time.

A few posts back negative comments were made about the servers on the CZ. Yes, there are some bad apples out there, but I think most of them do an excellent job under often difficult circumstances. The two gentlemen ( Kevin and a Mr Weber)on the Cardinal recently, while My opinion of the food was mostly low, did their best to please the customers and spoke to me about why they prefer working that route. On the Southwest Chief, Shaun and Myrna were friendly and efficient. Those jobs are not for everybody.

I'm "so fired up about this" because the new menu looks to me like a significant improvement in food quality, choice, service and experience. I like salads, I like having two salads and a vegan meal to choose from, I like seeing my meal before I buy it, I like not having to rely on random chance to get a well prepared meal, I like picking up my meal myself when it suits me, I like eating my meal where it suits me and I like not being shoehorned into a table for, as some posters seem to think, the entertainment of strangers.

I'll buy that any time.
You're free to like the new menu. However, as someone who can't eat meat, I now literally have no choice whatsoever. For breakfast, there's just the one option, and for lunch/dinner there's the one vegetarian option. What's "fun" however, is that I hate yogurt (which cuts out about 1/3 of my breakfast) and I tend to hate cold wraps. And if I get that Vegan Wrap, I don't even have a cheesecake to enjoy, because the dessert that comes with it is a "Vegan Dessert Bar." And what if you don't eat meat or gluten? Then you can't have anything.

And bear in mind that you already had the option to eat in the diner or in your room, so there isn't any added flexibility in where you eat. And since it seems like people can chill in the "Sleeper Lounge" whenever they want, it's that much less likely that there will be room for those who are dining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back