Amtrak's New "Fresh Choices" Dining on CL & LSL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I am understanding correctly the "diner" on the LAKE SHORE is lounge for just first class passengers, and coach passengers have no entry?

Andy
Correct.
Strictly speaking "Sleeper Passengers" Amtrak has generally stopped using the term "First Class" in connection with its Sleeper Service. There still remain some vestiges of its usage, but those are leftovers that someone forgot to remove.

Sleeper Passengers do not get the First Class AGR bonus, They do still get access to lounges. And progressively they get more restricted food service, possibly requiring additional food purchase from the Cafe or bringing their own food on board - e.g. on the Silver Star.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised they haven't gotten rid of the lounges and just put a "Priority Line" in the station--sleeper passengers would line up separately from coach and have priority boarding. The lounges are really the only thing left of amenities for sleeper passengers--I wonder how soon they will go.

The lounges are a huge benefit to their FC and AGR status passengers. No way they get rid of them on the Corridor, unless they excluded sleeping car passengers.

The Chicago lounge was just rebuilt and it would be a huge underutilization of space if it was just for Business class passengers. LA is also a nice retreat for BC passengers on the Surfliner.

Maybe the lounge in New Orleans is expendable. But I really wasnt impressed by the NOLA station, so it would be a shame to get rid of it.

The lounges are a huge benefit to their FC and AGR status passengers. No way they get rid of them on the Corridor, unless they excluded sleeping car passengers.
My experience is that the Acela First Class and AGR status passengers far outnumber the sleeping car passengers. Boston only has one train with sleepers, New York has 5, Philly has 4 and Washington has 5. This compares to the large number of NEC departures, and for that matter, if you have AGR status, they even let you use the lounge if you're waiting for a commuter train. Unlike Washington, the New York Club Acela announces all of the Amtrak trains, even the Regionals and Empire Service. The only time I've ever seen a relatively high proportion of sleeper passengers is in the Washington Club Acela, about 6:30-7 PM waiting to board the Meteor. During the other departure times, they're outnumbered by Corridor passengers. I see no advantage to Amtrak to kick sleeper passengers out of the lounges.

So the new "sleeper lounges" are the only Exclusive, non-revenue type cars on the entire system, since the demise of the CS Pacific Parlor Car?

For some people, I suppose that may be a "plus", if the dismal downgrade in meal service were not considered, that is.....
default_wink.png

So the new "sleeper lounges" are the only Exclusive, non-revenue type cars on the entire system, since the demise of the CS Pacific Parlor Car?

For some people, I suppose that may be a "plus", if the dismal downgrade in meal service were not considered, that is.....
default_wink.png
The Sleeper Lounge will sell you alcohol drinks. So limited renenue car.

default_wink.png
Okay...but I believe that historically at least, all "feature" cars on a train, where they couldn't sell a berth or a seat, were considered generically as 'non-revenue' in that sense...

Okay...but I believe that historically at least, all "feature" cars on a train, where they couldn't sell a berth or a seat, were considered generically as 'non-revenue' in that sense...
In which case you would count the dining cars as non-revenue...

default_wink.png
Is there an attendant in there?
default_huh.png

The Chicago lounge was just rebuilt and it would be a huge underutilization of space if it was just for Business class passengers. LA is also a nice retreat for BC passengers on the Surfliner.

Maybe the lounge in New Orleans is expendable. But I really wasnt impressed by the NOLA station, so it would be a shame to get rid of it.
I perhaps didn't phrase my post well--I wasn't suggesting they get rid of the lounges--I love them! I was just thinking of what Amtrak still had that was nice that they would make sure to get rid of.

Food was kept in the kitchen. At this point it was sleeper passengers only, I was only on for breakfast, I can not speak to the other meal periods. At this point in time I don't think they have a system in place to sell unused packages to coach or BC passengers. That has been speculated upon, but I've tried to keep my posts on this subject to what I have actually experienced or observed.Since sleeper passengers often walk to the cafe car, nobody paid much attention to the far door, if a non sleeper passenger walked in and was not bothering anybody, and it wasn't crowded, nobody would notice. It isn't like it used to be where the DC crew was setting up the tables for the next meal.
PVD--Thanks for providing the early information on the food. Have you ever had so many people interested in what you had for a meal?
default_tongue.png

default_wink.png
Is there an attendant in there?
default_huh.png
There's an LSA assigned to the sleeper lounge.

Curious about how the crew is fed? I'm thinking their meals probably come from the cafe. I mean, how much of the same thing can they take, trip after trip.
To a certain extent, they have the same problem already. I think that these “contemporary” meals are probably healthier and of higher quality than the offerings in the snack car, so are probably a more “sustainable” choice if you’re working in the train for a long time. And for lunch/dinner, there are a similar number of entrees as was previously offered. And many people already order the same thing every day, so I would be surprised if they’d feel any more of a need to get meals from the snack car, than on trains with full meal service.

Curious about how the crew is fed? I'm thinking their meals probably come from the cafe. I mean, how much of the same thing can they take, trip after trip.
From what I understand, on the Silver Meteor, the crew receives dining car meals, although some bring their own food since they get tired of the those meals. Whereas, on the Silver Star, the crew is not provided meals. If they want to eat cafe car food, they pay for it. From what I understand, most bring their own food. Maybe the crew on the Capitol Limited and Lake Shore Limited would have a similar option as the Silver Meteor and have the option for boxed meals (without the alcohol, of course).

Don't know about how things are today, but years ago, the chef prepared some 'not-on-the-menu' items for crewmembers...

Amtrak problem frowned on this, but it went on anyway, IIRC....

It sounds like Amtrak is onto a good idea here, having an exclusive sleeper lounge is a nice perk, especially if Amtrak gets the wifi going consistently. The unlimited soft drinks are an upgrade, and having food in your room is something that international trains are going towards (OBB who provides a majority of sleeper service in Europe just rolled that option out for passengers as well). Amtrak just needs to work on the food offerings, which is something Anderson told the RPA they are working on, just a matter of working on their catering contracts. I think this concept might work.

The muffin was pretty large, and it was a 7oz yogurt not a smaller one. If you ate the whole box of food it is doubtful (based on the product assortment and nutrition breakdown) that you would still be hungry. Whether or not people will want to eat that particular assortment completely is an entirely different matter.
On the eastbound Capitol Ltd (perhaps should be re-named the Capital Limited?), the problem is that blood sugar will peak and crash after a sugar-and-starch-heavy breakfast long before the scheduled early-afternoon arrival time in DC. And the actual arrival time is often later.
Breakfast is a diabetic's nightmare. My blood sugar went up 500 points just reading about it. They should include a vial of insulin with the meal.

It sounds like Amtrak is onto a good idea here, having an exclusive sleeper lounge is a nice perk, especially if Amtrak gets the wifi going consistently. The unlimited soft drinks are an upgrade, and having food in your room is something that international trains are going towards (OBB who provides a majority of sleeper service in Europe just rolled that option out for passengers as well). Amtrak just needs to work on the food offerings, which is something Anderson told the RPA they are working on, just a matter of working on their catering contracts. I think this concept might work.
Why do I have this sudden curiosity to see your tax returns, and specifically your W-2 form, and specifically the identity of your employer? What could possibly have caused such an irrational urge?

Ainamkartma

Breakfast is a diabetic's nightmare. My blood sugar went up 500 points just reading about it. They should include a vial of insulin with the meal.
I guess it depends on the kind of yogurt, The previous menu was also a disaster for diabetics, unless the diabetic understood what they could eat and what they needed to leave alone.

I remember having the divine French toast once, in my roomette, and taking hours to eat it in an attempt not to get sick. That strategy worked (as far as my not getting sick, my blood sugar was another story). But the 'healthy' offering of yogurt, fruit and granola was even more disastrous than the French toast. Some diabetics can handle egg yolks - I'm not one of them.

YMMV. That is the bottom line for me. Vegetarians and Vegans know exactly what they can eat. it's never been clear for diabetics.

Why do I have this sudden curiosity to see your tax returns, and specifically your W-2 form, and specifically the identity of your employer? What could possibly have caused such an irrational urge?

Ainamkartma
I am not involved in the railroad/train industry in any way. I have just simply taken trains around the globe, and yes I have taken many Amtrak routes in sleeper and in coach. The concept of the dining car with its traditional seating times is dying. OBB nightjet (IMO a gold standard for traditional night trains right now) now allows you to order and eat in your room, or go to the dining car at your will. This is not dissimilar to what Amtrak is doing here. My strike against Amtrak here is the food offerings aren't even comparable to OBB's offerings. Hot food should always be an option on the menu, Amtrak should at least try offering hot food.

Ainamkartma
I am not involved in the railroad/train industry in any way. I have just simply taken trains around the globe, and yes I have taken many Amtrak routes in sleeper and in coach. The concept of the dining car with its traditional seating times is dying. OBB nightjet (IMO a gold standard for traditional night trains right now) now allows you to order and eat in your room, or go to the dining car at your will. This is not dissimilar to what Amtrak is doing here. My strike against Amtrak here is the food offerings aren't even comparable to OBB's offerings. Hot food should always be an option on the menu, Amtrak should at least try offering hot food.
As such an experienced train traveler, you are aware that Amtrak has supported dining in your sleeping car cabin for the last few decades at least, right? You are also aware that Amtrak has "tried offering" hot food in the dining car since 1971, of course.

Nothing left for you to learn about train travel, no sirree. Next you'll be telling us about how these new offerings are "fresh packaged from local offerings, giving the customers new contemporary options."

OK, strike all that. I respect your honestly expressed opinions. Mine are that these changes constitute a major downgrade of services, and that there is no chance of my paying for a long distance trip on Amtrak that lacks actual diner service (hot food served at my table by a waiter). I'd appreciate it if you'd respect my opinions as well, and not tell me how these changes actually constitute some kind of improvement or addition of new service, like the "new" in-room dining that has actually been around since forever.

When you parrot the corporate line of horse hockey, please please don't be surprised if people doubt your motivations.

Ainamkartma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back