New NYP restrooms open, kind of nice

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The concept of "at the same time" doesn't really exist for computers. Each and every recordable event has to come before or after any other recordable event. Somewhere deep inside the forum database there is most likely an event timestamp specified to the nearest thousandth of a second. But, since this is a casual hobbyist forum the precise moment of entry doesn't really matter so the front end rounds the displayed time to the nearest second.

Last edited by a moderator:
The concept of "at the same time" doesn't really exist for computers. Each and every recordable event has to come before or after any other recordable event. Somewhere deep inside the forum database there is most likely an event timestamp specified to the nearest thousandth of a second. But, since this is a casual hobbyist forum the precise moment of entry doesn't really matter so the front end rounds the displayed time to the nearest second.
I understand all that. However if two people post at pretty much the same time, one person's post will often go through before they see the other person's, and they'll notice afterwards. The alternative would be if Ryan saw IndyLion's post but was already going to post himself, and remarked on it afterwards. But this whole conversation is getting pretty far from the new restrooms, so...

Notwithstanding whether or not folks get someone's style or not, or how cultural and societal norms influence practices, a pretty unpleasant place has been made much better. Since bashing NYP (Couldn't resist) is almost a full time occupation for some,it is nice to see one of the major sore points addressed. The test will be whether or not Amtrak keeps it up, or whether it slides back down to what it was.

I can't possibly imagine why some people feel the need to stop and comment on everything they claim not to care about.
I am in NYP often enough that the state of the bathrooms are of more than passing interest to me. So you can imagine my disappointment when I open the thread and discover that all there is to read about are splitting minutes in forum time stamps.

Within the story is a hint why the bathrooms with be practically destroyed in a short while. The people whom they interviewed about the bathrooms were both non Amtrak passengers. A private bus cleaner and a Long Island Railroad commuter, whom has the LIRR bathrooms to use but chooses to uses the Amtrak one. The usage of their bathrooms are far above their ridership and maintenance will never be able to keep up.

Thie iOS app (which is what I sued to post) does show seconds for times less than a minute. IndyLions post went in 12 seconds before mine did.

It must be a sad state of affairs in American railroading when we are excited for revamped restrooms in a train station.
The #1 reason I'll pick up an AcelaClub pass when I travel with my children, is so that I have access to a nice, clean, safe bathroom.

Though, its not exclusive to railroading, or America. Public Transit bathrooms, all over the world, can be dirty, broken, and full of transients.

It must be a sad state of affairs in American railroading when we are excited for revamped restrooms in a train station.
The #1 reason I'll pick up an AcelaClub pass when I travel with my children, is so that I have access to a nice, clean, safe bathroom. Though, its not exclusive to railroading, or America. Public Transit bathrooms, all over the world, can be dirty, broken, and full of transients.
This has to be one of the simplest and yet longest lasting problems that we still cannot seem to resolve even in 2018. If anything it actually seems to be getting worse over time. I previously mentioned some exceptions in Japan, and there are a few others in places like Changi (Singapore) and Chek Lap Kok (Hong Kong), but on the whole I cannot think of many locations with a high volume of passengers and routinely clean facilities. Seems like the sort of problem that could benefit from an X-Prize style ingenuity motivator.

Thie iOS app (which is what I sued to post) does show seconds for times less than a minute. IndyLions post went in 12 seconds before mine did.
Yeah, I eventually realized I had gummed up minutes and seconds but by then it was already quoted. D'oh!

At the risk of derailing this thread to airlines
default_tongue.png
I found the restrooms in Midway Airport to be very clean and worthy of mention.. Now back to Amtrak
default_smile.png

Seems to be a pattern here - men complaining more than women about cleanliness of bathrooms. This verifies my often thought notion - that men are much more messy than women.
default_tongue.png

The #1 reason I'll pick up an AcelaClub pass when I travel with my children, is so that I have access to a nice, clean, safe bathroom.

Though, its not exclusive to railroading, or America. Public Transit bathrooms, all over the world, can be dirty, broken, and full of transients.

Anyone visit the public toilets at the Leaning Tower of Pisa? They are the most disgusting facilities I have ever tried to use including the "squat holers" in Asia.

Seems to be a pattern here - men complaining more than women about cleanliness of bathrooms. This verifies my often thought notion - that men are much more messy than women.
I read an article on a study about this once and it was split decision. On the one hand the average man was more messy than the average woman, so in that sense you're right. On the other hand the messiest women were far nastier than the messiest men. Those are not scientific terms but the study was mainly focused on presence of risky bodily fluids and the viability of infection spreading. Apparently some/many parents aren't doing enough to verify their offspring are respecting the private areas of public facilities after the point where they've matured enough to use the facilities on their own.

I know that if I was a father to a son I'd do everything I could to make sure he never left a mess without cleaning it up first or risk being punished for it. However, if I was a father to a daughter I wouldn't have a practical method for confirming or correcting such behavior. Since it's a reasonable assumption that there are more boys raised by single parent mothers than girls raised by single parent fathers it stands to reason that in the case of public restrooms more boys are left to their own devices than girls. Boys who do not respect the private areas of public facilities will grow into men with the same attitude and here we are.

The times I've been there (most recently last summer), at least the women's rest room at BON was sparklng clean. So apparently it IS possible to maintain a high-volume, big-city public restroom decently.

Back