Coast Starlight service advisory (5/28, 5/29, 6/4, 6/5)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmjhagen9426

OBS Chief
Due to trackwork, the Coast Starlight will have modified service on May 28-29 and June 4-5. Here's how it will work.

Between Seattle and Eugene: Normal service, barring circumstances that may inhibit normal service.

Between Eugene and Klamath Falls: Bus replacement, on Oregon State Highway 58. The bus numbers will be 3011 and 3014.

Between Klamath Falls and Los Angeles: Normal service, barring circumstances that may inhibit normal service.

Business class and sleeper passengers whose travel begins or ends in Chemult or Klamath Falls (train 11), or in Chemult or Eugene (train 14) are eligible for refund due to the downgrade.

The details of the trackwork: Union Pacific will be performing some work on Tunnel 11, which had some issues last month.

I am assuming that Train 14 will arrive at Klamathfalls, wyed, serviced, and parked until it is ready to return south as Train 11. I currently live in K-Falls, but never saw the CS being terminated/turned around for myself.

Editing note: Per moderator action (title change) and actual dates for disruptions defined

Last edited by a moderator:
Several years back, I was booked on the CS to travel south from Chemult. When the big Oakridge landslide happened, Amtrak called and told us we'd be able to travel south from Klamath Falls as scheduled. But they said that by the time we returned, the CS would go no further north than Martinez until the track work was completed (it took a couple of months). We'd be on our own to get home, so we accepted a full refund, and chose to travel another time.

I assume they were turning the train at KFS for the couple of weeks that they offered the bus bridge.

Several years back, I was booked on the CS to travel south from Chemult. When the big Oakridge landslide happened, Amtrak called and told us we'd be able to travel south from Klamath Falls as scheduled. But they said that by the time we returned, the CS would go no further north than Martinez until the track work was completed (it took a couple of months). We'd be on our own to get home, so we accepted a full refund, and chose to travel another time.

I assume they were turning the train at KFS for the couple of weeks that they offered the bus bridge.
I heard that it happened in January 2008. I heard it was unofficially known as the Coyote Hills (?) landslide. What would have caused a landslide so severe?

Due to trackwork, the Coast Starlight will have modified service from May 28 until June 4. Here's how it will work.
I'm not sure where you're getting this from but are you sure you're reading correctly? This (and a few other track projects) popped up a few days ago (still waiting for it to update on the website) but from what I understand, the project occurs on four days: 5/28, 5/29,6/4 and 6/5. This will impact 14(27), 14(28), 14(3), 11(28),11(29) and 11(3).

Your title and opening line makes it seem as though there is a disruption every day from 5/28 to 6/4. I'm not saying you're 100% wrong since things can change, but I am wondering what you're reading.

Additionally, 14(5) will be affected although if things go according to plan, there won't be a need for a bus bridge.

What if they detoured over the Central Oregon & Pacific (former SP) through Medford and Grants Pass? That'd be some exceptionally rare mileage!

What if they detoured over the Central Oregon & Pacific (former SP) through Medford and Grants Pass? That'd be some exceptionally rare mileage!
I'd jump on that one in a "New York Minute" if they would do that!
default_biggrin.png

And the same if they went via the O.T....(not sure where that track work is exactly).....

The OT would be a far faster detour because the ex SP via the People's Republic of Ashland is largely a ten mile an hour line. But I too would do either in a New York minute.

I heard that it happened in January 2008. I heard it was unofficially known as the Coyote Hills (?) landslide. What would have caused a landslide so severe?
2008 sounds about right. The landslide was caused by heavy rain on steep, unstable, logged-over slopes. It took months to fix (105 days according to the UP article linked at bottom), and the CS was just out of service after it was determined that it would take more than a couple of weeks.

http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2008/03/373794.shtml

http://bark-out.org/content/major-landslide-willamette-national-forest-caused-1992-clearcut

https://www.uprr.com/newsinfo/releases/service/2008/0506_mudslide.shtml

Due to trackwork, the Coast Starlight will have modified service from May 28 until June 4. Here's how it will work.
I'm not sure where you're getting this from but are you sure you're reading correctly? This (and a few other track projects) popped up a few days ago (still waiting for it to update on the website) but from what I understand, the project occurs on four days: 5/28, 5/29,6/4 and 6/5. This will impact 14(27), 14(28), 14(3), 11(28),11(29) and 11(3).

Your title and opening line makes it seem as though there is a disruption every day from 5/28 to 6/4. I'm not saying you're 100% wrong since things can change, but I am wondering what you're reading.

Additionally, 14(5) will be affected although if things go according to plan, there won't be a need for a bus bridge.
My bad. That's the way I heard it when I asked the agent.

2008 sounds about right. The landslide was caused by heavy rain on steep, unstable, logged-over slopes. It took months to fix (105 days according to the UP article linked at bottom), and the CS was just out of service after it was determined that it would take more than a couple of weeks.

http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2008/03/373794.shtml

http://bark-out.org/content/major-landslide-willamette-national-forest-caused-1992-clearcut

https://www.uprr.com/newsinfo/releases/service/2008/0506_mudslide.shtml
19 million cubic feet of mud...that would still dwarf the Big Sur mudslide that's currently blocking CA-1, which I would estimate it would take about at least 5 times longer than the Oakridge mudslide.

The OT would be a far faster detour because the ex SP via the People's Republic of Ashland is largely a ten mile an hour line.
Not to mention that it will also leave out KFS and CMO passengers, unless you bridge it by bus between DUN and EUG. Also this will cause severe delays once the train hits CA. How come the speed limit on the ex SP is only 10mph (which is about 16km/h), and where's the biggest slowdown?

The entire route if I recall is ten. I would have to consult my timetable. Which means I need to find it. But it's a very slow route. But beautiful.

Yikes I’m booked SJC to PDX on 11(6). Looks like I’ll just barely miss this issue? Any thoughts on chances the track work will take longer than expected?

Yikes I’m booked SJC to PDX on 11(6). Looks like I’ll just barely miss this issue? Any thoughts on chances the track work will take longer than expected?
I think there is a good chance this may still be an issue on the 6th of June. 50 feet of the tunnel that was being repaired collapsed.

Tunnel collapse forces Amtrak to bus passengers between Eugene, Klamath Falls

OAKRIDGE — Amtrak is using charter buses as substitutes for passenger trains along its Coast Starlight route, as Union Pacific crews work to clear debris from a tunnel along Highway 58 that partially collapsed on Tuesday.

A Union Pacific spokesman said Wednesday that debris from the tunnel’s ceiling fell onto the tracks during maintenance operations. A 50-foot stretch of the tunnel, which is between Oakridge and Odell Lake, is affected.

The tunnel is expected to remain closed for several days, Union Pacific spokesman Justin Jacobs said. During that time, Union Pacific trains that normally would travel through the tunnel are being rerouted through Bend.

No one was injured when the tunnel ceiling collapsed, Jacobs said.

Amtrak’s Coast Starlight trains 11 and 14, meanwhile, also are affected by the tunnel closure.

Passengers on that route will be bused between Eugene and Klamath Falls until the tunnel is reopened, Amtrak spokesman Mark Magliari said.

He advised passengers to expect delays, given the fact that it takes longer for buses to make the trip than it does for trains.

“Because of the length of time that it’s taking, we are departing Eugene significantly behind schedule,” Magliari said.

Amtrak’s website says it expects Coast Starlight service to be affected through next Tuesday. Trains on the Amtrak Cascade route between Eugene and British Columbia, meanwhile, are not affected by the tunnel closure

I think there is a good chance this may still be an issue on the 6th of June. 50 feet of the tunnel that was being repaired collapsed.

OAKRIDGE — Amtrak is using charter buses as substitutes for passenger trains along its Coast Starlight route, as Union Pacific crews work to clear debris from a tunnel along Highway 58 that partially collapsed on Tuesday.

(Trimmed quote to comply with newspaper quotation guidelines)
Yikes. I need to go down to Sacramento this Saturday. Which means going on a road trip on OR-140 and I-5. This should be interesting.

My bluff is for reopening June 10 (taking UP's maximum estimate).

It looks like #11 arrives Eugene at its timetabled 5:03pm, then turns back north as #14 to pick up all the passengers, often 6-7 hours late. Maybe they should put some passengers on #508 Cascades instead? It would arrive into Seattle at 10:50pm, not around 1:00am.

A Union Pacific spokesman said Wednesday that debris from the tunnel’s ceiling fell onto the tracks during maintenance operations. A 50-foot stretch of the tunnel, which is between Oakridge and Odell Lake, is affected.

The tunnel is expected to remain closed for several days, Union Pacific spokesman Justin Jacobs said. During that time, Union Pacific trains that normally would travel through the tunnel are being rerouted through Bend.

No one was injured when the tunnel ceiling collapsed, Jacobs said.

Amtrak’s Coast Starlight trains 11 and 14, meanwhile, also are affected by the tunnel closure.

Passengers on that route will be bused between Eugene and Klamath Falls until the tunnel is reopened, Amtrak spokesman Mark Magliari said.

He advised passengers to expect delays, given the fact that it takes longer for buses to make the trip than it does for trains.

“Because of the length of time that it’s taking, we are departing Eugene significantly behind schedule,” Magliari said.

Amtrak’s website says it expects Coast Starlight service to be affected through next Tuesday. Trains on the Amtrak Cascade route between Eugene and British Columbia, meanwhile, are not affected by the tunnel closure
Damn. Indeed it looks like I’m getting bus bridged.

I actually rebooked for a day earlier since now I have to take the bus either way. The super late arrival in Portland on the 7th wasn’t going to work for me.

Also, I was able to get rebooked on the 4:30pm Cascades from Eugene so I should be getting to Portland at a much more reasonable time.

Really unfortunate that I won’t get to ride the route as intended, but I did book this trip on points and got about 35% of my points refunded for the “loss of accommodation”.

We received a notice from Amtrak on Friday that our trip on the Coastal Starlight #11 from Seattle to Sacramento on Friday, June 8th would be affected as well. We will apparently have a bus waiting in Eugene to take us to Klamath Falls, then catch another Coastal Starlight to go on to Sacramento. Not sure how they are going to handle the meal situation (dinner, in particular).

We are connecting in Sacramento with the Zephyr, and are pretty sure we won't miss that connection - as we currently show arriving at 6:15 am, with an almost 5 hour layover. It would actually be to our advantage if we were late!
default_smile.png

I spoke to an Amtrak customer service agent today (June 21st) and was told the work completion date had been pushed back to June 11th, and then again to June 26th. I was told I would be allowed to purchase a ticket for travel on July 11th, so hopefully Union Pacific will have completed the work before then.

Back