Access to Metropolitan Lounge at DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redbug119

Train Attendant
I usually travel from Orlando to Chicago via Washington DC in a sleeper, but this time I'm taking my niece with me and we are going coach. Since we have several hours in DC, we'd like to take in a museum or just walk around the city, as she's never been there. When I've done this before, I always leave my carry-ons in the lounge, but I know I can't this time. I read in the Chicago station you can pay a fee to keep your luggage in the first class lounge. Is there such an option in DC? Thanks.

I usually travel from Orlando to Chicago via Washington DC in a sleeper, but this time I'm taking my niece with me and we are going coach. Since we have several hours in DC, we'd like to take in a museum or just walk around the city, as she's never been there. When I've done this before, I always leave my carry-ons in the lounge, but I know I can't this time. I read in the Chicago station you can pay a fee to keep your luggage in the first class lounge. Is there such an option in DC? Thanks.
Most Amtrak baggage departments will hold your bags for a nominal fee, I've done it in New York for $10/bag. I'd consider either going this route or checking a lot of your bags.

I didn't know that you could store baggage in the First Class lounges. I wouldn't hold my breath that you could do it in D.C, so if I were you I would check some of your bags (if possible). Hopefully it won't be too hot out, and the bags won't be too much of a pain, but you might not be able to do much about it.

As a coach passenger unless you have a Club Acela pass or hold a high enough membership tier in guest rewards you won't be able to enter. I would either check all your bags. Or store them over at baggage storage. And if it prices right take a sleeper.

The staffed first class lounges, Club Acelas in Boston, New York, Philadelphia and Washington, and Metropolitan Lounges in Chicago, Los Angeles and Portland, will hold luggage for free.

They will not hold it for passengers who are not eligible to use the lounge.

At most stations that have checked baggage service, you can day check bags for a fee, it appears to be $10 everywhere now.

I've been holding my luggage in the DC lounge for years.

Typically, I take the night train in from Boston, around 6am. Far too early to check into a hotel. So I'll drop off the luggage, and explore.

The acela passes have changed recently, and now say "one visit only", so not sure how that applies to luggage.

If you are traveling by Coach you will need to either check bags the whole way or day check your bags for $10 each at the Baggage desk. Question, if you normally take a sleeper, the cost for an additional person, presuming an adult, is usually at the lowest bucket. Just a thought when you have to purchase meals, check bags, etc.

Thanks. Our big ones we are checking all the way thru, and our carry-ons are rolling ones, so I think we'll be OK. Will check into the baggage storage if we end up with too much to haul!!

Question, if you normally take a sleeper, the cost for an additional person, presuming an adult, is usually at the lowest bucket. Just a thought when you have to purchase meals, check bags, etc.
The rail fare for a sleeper is always at the lowest bucket. So there are occasionally cases of a roomette for two being cheaper than a Value or Flex fare. It's definitely worth a look, even if it's unlikely to work out.

Another option could be one leg in coach and the other in sleeper. For example, Orlando-DC in coach and D.C.-Chicago in sleeper or vice versa. This would give you access to the lounge in D.C., and sleeper fares on the Capitol Limited may be less than that of the Silver Star/Meteor simply because there are more rooms per car on the Cap.

sleeper fares on the Capitol Limited may be less than that of the Silver Star/Meteor simply because there are more rooms per car on the Cap.
Sleeper fares are completely independent between trains. The Capitol could be at its highest bucket, and the Meteor at its lowest bucket. Or it could be the other way around. Or it could be somewhere in the middle. It just comes down to whatever is happening with that specific train on that day. And there generally aren’t more rooms on the Capitol, since the Meteor usually runs with three or four sleepers.

Ive gone sleeper many times. I just wasnt sure I was taking the train this trip. I was paying my nieces way so needed to be as frugal as possible. So by the time I decided for sure, and did every combo, the actual sleeper for 2 legs was over $1000. So for the difference I decided to suck it up and go coach. I may regret it but it will be a good experience for her, its her first train trip.

Unfortunately I waited too long to get a low bucket fare. $800 sleeper vs $300 coach.
$500 for those "new fresh choices" in the "Dining Car"... sickening....
Yeah, $500 to get a private room for two, with a bed, for two nights. And with included meals the whole way. And more than half of those meals are not "fresh choices". And they would not be offered ANY meals (with the exception of the lounge car) on the Capitol in coach.

Ive gone sleeper many times. I just wasnt sure I was taking the train this trip. I was paying my nieces way so needed to be as frugal as possible. So by the time I decided for sure, and did every combo, the actual sleeper for 2 legs was over $1000. So for the difference I decided to suck it up and go coach. I may regret it but it will be a good experience for her, its her first train trip.
I don't blame you for going coach. Sometimes a sleeper just isn't possible. Hopefully your niece will love the trip, even if she won't have a room. Fortunately, both legs are relatively short, so it's not like you'll be spending multiple days at a time without food.

Are you saying dining car is not available to coach passengers??
I just got on the website and saw the new dining options. Im glad I knew this because I want her to experience the dining car at least once and would have been disappointed had I waited for the Capital and missed the opportunity.

Are you saying dining car is not available to coach passengers??
On the Capitol Limited, it is not. They replaced the full service dining car on that train with a "Sleeper Lounge" that serves sleeper passengers a limited variety of pre-packaged cold meals. Whereas up until now, coach passengers could dine at a charge, this "Sleeper Lounge" is exclusive to sleeper passengers. Coach passengers have to buy their meals from the lounge car. Fortunately, the Silver Meteor still has a dining car, so you'll be able to get your niece a meal on that train.

Back