CSX RF&P Subdivision Delays (Atlantic Coast/NEC Service) 5/19

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirdrail7

Engineer
This has been a bad week for CSX. Storms washed out some of their tracks on the Metropolitan Sub. Additionally, storms caused a washout and damaged culvert on the RF&P subdivision this past Thursday, resulting in 26 miles of single tracking. This caused severe congestion between FBG and ASD.

Now, a CSX train has derailed outside of Franconia, VA. This is between ALX and LOR (which means the Auto Train unaffected) but it impacts service from Florida to Massachusetts. At present, there is no route available. Short Distance Intercity Trains from VA to DC (with 80 being the exception) are currently holding at the nearest stations. Long Distance Intercity trains are still on the move. When a route becomes available, severe delays from RVR-WAS are likely.

Keep an eye on the website for possible schedule changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oooof! 30 cars are off the rails and there is bridge damage. This is closer to ALX. AF interlocking (where the NS lines joins) may also be impacted. This would also impact the Crescent and Lynchburger.

Click on the link for the pictures:

Freight train derails on collapsed railway in Alexandria (Photos)

WASHINGTON — A CSX freight train was derailed in the city of Alexandria, Virginia, after traveling on a railway bridge that partially collapsed Saturday morning.

Thirty train cars out of 167 total came off the tracks shortly after 7 a.m. in the Eisenhower corridor, the city said in a news release.

Officials at the Alexandria Fire Department said weather could be to blame for the collapsed bridge.

Looks like only the old bridge for the third track is involved? The other single track bridge was recently replaced by the two track bridge that one sees in the photo.

Is it the bridge across Cameron’s Run that is involved? If so we are in for a longish outage.
I'm not sure of the exact location but they are hoping to have 3 track available to move trains. However, the integrity of the bridge is still being determined. There is still the matter of clearing the debris, which will undoubtedly involve shutting the entire railroad.

In any event, it is starting to get ugly. Trains are starting to reverse course and cancellations are occurring.

They just sent 195 and 91 out from NYP with no comment about a possible service disruption. Wing and a prayer that there'll be a track for them to use this afternoon?

They just sent 195 and 91 out from NYP with no comment about a possible service disruption. Wing and a prayer that there'll be a track for them to use this afternoon?
Even if the outage remains, they still need equipment in WAS. Remember, there are probably a dozen sets of equipment trapped south of this location. Equipment needs to make it to WAS even if the route remains closed, so there is equipment to represent corridor service.

The Washington Post is providing a better description:

Fire officials were dispatched shortly after 7 a.m. Saturday and found a jumble of tracks and debris near Floyd Street and Wheeler Avenue, he said.
The collapse impacted train tracks that run above the overpass and below it.

The upper tracks carry CSX and Norfolk Southern cargo trains and the lower tracks carry those two cargo lines as well as Amtrak passenger trains.By midmorning, the derailment caused one Amtrak train to be delayed south of the city, Dubé said.

Google maps shows a jump over between Holmes Run and Cameron's Run. That is probably the area.

That is where a couple of tracks of NS ducks under CSX to then proceed to AF. There is still one NS track on the other side of CSX connecting to AF. So connection to NS is not fully severed.
You can see that track in the top of this image:
attachicon.gif
IMG_5804.jpg
The single track bridge is the one that collapsed. The double track bridge adjacent to it is fine. So no surprise that trains are starting to get through both on NS and CSX.

And now there are some CSX antics independent of the derailment, in Jacksonville. I'm on 98 of the 19th can't get in the station because they put a long freight ahead of us that broke down. No info. to the Amtrak crew.

And now there are some CSX antics independent of the derailment, in Jacksonville. I'm on 98 of the 19th can't get in the station because they put a long freight ahead of us that broke down. No info. to the Amtrak crew.
Funny...I was on 97/15 and we got held up for 20 minutes at JAX because of freight interference. We were on time, too.

We just rolled thru the derailment sight at slow speed. All of us in the diner gasped at the wreckage, and the work being done to remove and fix it. One car appeared to be smoking. Glad no one was harmed.

i can't understand why you want to make a snarky remark like that. I hope you enjoyed it though.

I knew approximately where the site was. 19 was jammed with overflow in the cafe car; the Roanoke regional had been cancelled and Amtrak put as many as possible on 19, maybe too many. I had an aisle seat at a windowless row next to a person who had no interest. My view was extremely limited plus it was dusk. I was looking at gps map so I could see where we were. The above poster does not say what train he was one. Perhaps there was a different between the RF&P and the NS.

Headed south on CSX it would be on the left side as you cross over NS adjacent to the bridge. Headed south on NS it would be on the left side at some distance. It should be very visible from both. Both a bit south of AF interlocking where CSX and NS separate. From NS one would need to know a bit about where to look, since it would be on the other side of the CSX bridge over NS. From CSX it would be right next to the track.

Incidentally, earlier trains may have faced significant delay or cancellation because the freight that derailed was possibly blocking access to the NS connection until the portion still on rails north of the derailment was uncoupled and removed, and of course there was debris from derailment on the undamaged CSX tracks until the debris was removed..

This news report contains a good video showing a train coming from NS heading towards Alexandria...

http://wjla.com/news/local/csx_train_derailment_alexandria

Missing that derailment would take effort. They have it lit up at night as clean up continues.

In any event, it now seems as if the train derailed prior to the bridge and stayed intact and upright until it hit the bridge and derailed.

Back