Cruise port to Penn Station

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pooh2

Service Attendant
We are doing a one-way cruise from Canada and ending in New York City.

We were thinking of then doing the Amtrak from NY Penn Station to Boston.

Is it walkable from the cruise port to NY Penn?

It looks to be only a mile or so?

Totally walkable. A bit uphill but not too bad. If you are the sort of people who would consider walking this, you probably can without issue, but I wouldn't suggest it to someone who doesn't come up with it themselves.

Maybe I am simply lazy to drag my luggage that far, so I always take a taxi. With tip, it should be under $10. Well worth it.

Maybe I am simply lazy to drag my luggage that far, so I always take a taxi. With tip, it should be under $10. Well worth it.
Cannot beat that price!

Was thinking a walk would be nice if the weather is pleasant (have light duffel on wheels) but for that price, maybe we could get an earlier train and just do the taxi.

Totally walkable, and a nice walk along the Hudson at that. The time difference between walking and getting a cab is not significant enough that youd be able to catch an earlier train. But I would still recommend checking Google Maps to make sure the walk would be doable for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mapquest says 1.8 miles, certainly walkable if the weather is nice, but luggage might make that not so much fun. They normally get you off pretty early, if it's a Saturday or Sunday, the cab will (usually) be much faster, during the week or if something special is happening, probably faster, but not by as much.

Norwegian, Carnival,and Aida and a number of less frequent visitors are Manhattan Cruise , Cunard & Princess are Red Hook Brooklyn, and I believe RCL, Celebrity, and Holland America use Cape Liberty (Bayonne, NJ) I am not 100% but I think that's pretty accurate.

Norwegian, Carnival,and Aida and a number of less frequent visitors are Manhattan Cruise , Cunard & Princess are Red Hook Brooklyn, and I believe RCL, Celebrity, and Holland America use Cape Liberty (Bayonne, NJ) I am not 100% but I think that's pretty accurate.
You are close...HAL uses Manhattan...
default_smile.png

If you are going to wheel your bags from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal over to Penn Station, the best route would be to use the river walk, past the Intrepid Air, Sea, and Space Museum, and continue until you reach 34th street. That way, you don't have to cross all the streets from 48th to 34th, and get a beautiful view of the river and the city along the way.

Not to mention a much smoother and easier ride on your bag's wheels.

Once you cross to the south side of 34th Street, I would then walk east to 8th Avenue, turn south for the last block to NYP. You could walk all the way to 33rd street, but I think 34th is a better one for tourists to walk on...

I was close, yeah, Holland America doesn't do too much out of NY, but it is Manhattan.
Yeah...HAL all but abandoned NYC a few years ago, except for a couple of autumn cruises...

Incredible considering their long illustrious history here. They have two ships based all summer in Boston, but none here in New York...

Having walked couple of times with a suitcase in different cities, the last two were YYZ and YVR, I say take a cab. The walk from the train station/subway were about a mile but dragging your suitcase on city streets make it feel more like 5 miles. Especially if its under $10.00, take the cab!

after standing on line to get off the ship, and then clear customs, it is a bit of a hike. I would take the cab....
I'll correct my earlier self, now that I think about it. Without baggage and with nice weather, it's a very nice walk. With baggage, it might be miserable.

Getting off a cruise a few years ago, I walked across the street, took the bus to 8th Ave, took the E train to Continental and the Q64 home, just to say I could do it. Last year I left my car at the Ship Terminal and paid for expensive parking. Intrepid is nice to see, but not so much if you aren't going aboard, you don't see much passing Circle Line, and the Tow Pound Pier and the back of the Javits are not much to look at. The best part of the walk would be stopping at B&H Photo to leave what money I had left.

Last edited by a moderator:
Intrepid is nice to see, but not so much if you aren't going aboard
I second this. You can get a peak at the Concorde and see a few of the planes at the very front, but other than that, there's really not much to enjoy. What really sucks is that now you have to pay $20 to walk through the Concorde - it used to be included in general admission.
default_mad.gif

All of that said, the Intrepid is fun and worth doing if you have time and are in the area. Not really applicable advice to the OP, but just as a side note.

What PVD said about standing in line to disembark, only to stand in line at customs, only to stand in line for subsequent transportation options..................makes for a long morning.

When 3500 people get off a ship, there is no fast way. For practical reasons, they need to scan out everyone getting off so they know the ship is clear, and even though Customs is generally pretty good at moving the passengers coming from Canada, since the cruise you are taking is a one way, it gains a little more scrutiny. The Canada cruises I've taken originated from and returned to NY so no one is entering the US for the 1st time. I carry my own luggage off the ship so I don't have to wait for bags before getting on line. They really move pretty quickly, but with 3000 + people you may be on a long line anyway.

Getting off a cruise a few years ago, I walked across the street, took the bus to 8th Ave, took the E train to Continental and the Q64 home, just to say I could do it. Last year I left my car at the Ship Terminal and paid for expensive parking. Intrepid is nice to see, but not so much if you aren't going aboard, you don't see much passing Circle Line, and the Tow Pound Pier and the back of the Javits are not much to look at. The best part of the walk would be stopping at B&H Photo to leave what money I had left.
Okay...I would agree that for most people, especially for two or more, taking a taxi or car service is the best choice.

Personally, since I now cruise solo, and consider myself fairly 'fit', I enjoy using mass transit from my home in Queens to and from all three of the cruise ports in the Port of New York. Even to Cape Liberty in Bayonne, NJ and Red Hook, Brooklyn. The money I save is better spent enjoying on the cruise...

I noticed you ride the Q-64...hey, we must be neighbor's!...
default_smile.png

Back