Amenities that have disappeared from Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably put ads for the Amtrak like "Travel with us. If we're late you just hang out with us with overflowing bathrooms". "We care about our customers - unless you're the one we haul off the train and decamp with all the cash from". "Free meals for first class. The rest of you can starve to death. We don't even serve free peanuts or water".
I changed those ads a little to make them more appropriate for Amtrak
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I know that downloading schedules is doable--so does everyone else on this forum. I do think, though, that Amtrak might ought to make the train experience friendlier for passengers who are new to Amtrak and/or not foaming rail fans.

It seems a fair bet that the marketing and customer-satisfaction value of having printed schedules AND A SYSTEM ROUTE MAP available on the train would exceed the small cost of printing them. Cutting "amenities" has a cost, which may or may not be fully offset by Amtrak not having to pay for the amenities.
Having just returned from a SW Chief trip (CHI-LAX) I once again experienced the "no printed schedule and no route guide" in the bedroom "thing." Nothing really surprising but always a turn-off. I do travel prepared with my own personal copies of both from trips-past - however, I have to wonder and feel a bit sad for those travelers making their first trips who haven't a clue with regard to "this 'n that" along the way. Given that hardly any of the onboard crew seems to want to take the time and make the effort for onboard announcements - it has become far less that pleasure and treat of decades past.

You hit the nail on the head with your comments - however, perhaps too much credit to those dabbling in customer-satisfaction. Now, there is a good start for a cut-back.

Tom in Missouri

I still say, these have been so unpredictable on all my travels it would be hard to tell if they are actually gone or not. Some of the route guides still had F-40's on the front! So who knows when they were actually last printed.

I still say, these have been so unpredictable on all my travels it would be hard to tell if they are actually gone or not. Some of the route guides still had F-40's on the front! So who knows when they were actually last printed.
The route guides were only OK, for me at least. But the schedules are a must, especially with Amtrak's unreliable timekeeping.

And the system MAP ought to be seen as a critical marketing tool, specifically for passengers already on an Amtrak train, who are obviously primed to consider booking a different trip--but only if they know Amtrak can take them there.

But the schedules are a must, especially with Amtrak's unreliable timekeeping.
I agree. When I was on the Sunset/Eagle, we were running a few hours behind, and between the three time zones and lack of cell service, we had no idea where we were, when the next stop was, etc. With a handheld timetable, it would have been so much easier to get our bearings.

If you don't know whether or not you're late, you certainly can't complain to the crew about being late. Looks like they have you just where they want you!

If you don't know whether or not you're late, you certainly can't complain to the crew about being late. Looks like they have you just where they want you!
That would be accurate if they hadn't said we were three hours late. Come on guys, you were almost in the clear!

If these will not be printed material anymore, what about a link attached to your tickets that references your itinerary thus prepares a folder of the schedules, first time travel information, route guides, etc. that can be printed out or downloaded.
Give the man a job with Amtrak Marketing!
I have already been in touch with Amtrak, but no one seemed interested, basically saying no one would use the service.

In this day and age where everyone seems to want more information about everything, not less, I would that Amtrak would embrace such an idea as yours.

The route guides were only OK, for me at least. But the schedules are a must, especially with Amtrak's unreliable timekeeping.

And the system MAP ought to be seen as a critical marketing tool, specifically for passengers already on an Amtrak train, who are obviously primed to consider booking a different trip--but only if they know Amtrak can take them there.
I just took a peek and The National (the Amtrak on-board magazine) has a system map in the back. That follows the typical airline parlance; the biggest problem is that it's often difficult to find actually on-board a lot of the long distance trains. It really needs to be in 100% of the seat back pockets and refilled throughout the trip as people take them home with them (which isn't uncommon.)

I just took a peek and The National (the Amtrak on-board magazine) has a system map in the back. That follows the typical airline parlance; the biggest problem is that it's often difficult to find actually on-board a lot of the long distance trains. It really needs to be in 100% of the seat back pockets and refilled throughout the trip as people take them home with them (which isn't uncommon.)
Thanks for that info--I had no idea there was anything actually useful in the on-board magazine.
default_huh.png

You'd think Amtrak would WANT customers to take home a route map. If they don't publicize where their trains run, who will?

Depends, Anderson may want his options open. Having Route maps out there, makes it obvious if a route is modified or cut. The less marketing material in print the less material that has to be withdrawn should changes take place.

On our trip to Wilmington DE on the Meteor, the people in the roomette across from us asked the SCA for a schedule and he gave them and us one.

Back