NER or MBTA Providence-Boston?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pere Flyer

Lead Service Attendant
I’m in Providence doing contract work until the end of the month and considering a day trip to Boston on a Sunday or Monday. I’m not sure if I should hop on a Northeast Regional or take the T. I’m wondering what advice you guys might have.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

It depends if you prefer price or not, stops or not, and earning AGR points.

Amtrak costs more than MBTA, you can also take Acela on Amtrak. MBTA has numerous stops between PVD and BOS while Amtrak is non-stop between PVD and RTE. Unless you charge your ticket with the AGR credit card, you earn no AGR points on MBTA.

If you are talking about this coming weekend remember it is Marathon Weekend, and Monday is Race Day a Holliday in Mass, and an early Red Sox Game. Commuter Rail is cheaper and slower but trains will be crowded. Amtrak is faster and requires reservations, if you want any chance to use Amtrak, book now !

As you can probably imagine, commuter rail is going to be more crowded, slower, and less comfortable. But it will probably be a LOT cheaper. It just depends on your budget and timeframe.

The cost difference is dramatic, and the MBTA takes longer, but not that much.

However, the main issue that I run into is that MBTA is prioritized below everything else on the NER. As such, many times we have pulled into a siding so that Amtrak could pass us.

I just looked at sample Amtrak and MBTA schedules and fares. The T would be $11.50, whereas Amtrak ranges from $12 for a NE Regional Saver Fare to $92 for Acela First-Class. Strangely, the 12:59 PM Acela is the slowest schedule, taking an hour and six minutes from Providence to Boston. The T clocks in at an hour and three minutes. Northeast Regionals range from 52 minutes to an hour and two minutes, while the 9:27 am Acela takes only 48 minutes.

Edit: found lower and higher prices on Amtrak.

Outbound times from Boston to Providence on Amtrak range from 33 to 49 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting. The time difference between the two is probably minimized due to the lengthened Amtrak schedules to allow for track work.

For a more accurate depiction of actual travel times for Amtrak the southbound schedules should be used as there would be much less padding. It seems that in this direction, the Acela Express takes about 36 minutes while the Northeast Regional takes 40, although some trains on either train type take slightly longer (there are also a few that are actually shorter).

Thanks, all, for your input. For me, it looks like a stalemate between NER and the T—speed and few stops vs cost and flexibility. Any plans I make in Boston should guide my transit choices from here. Thank you all!

Back