Advice please, 30th St. or Washington DC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldCond

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Hi, I'm just looking for some advice on where readers think would be the better station to spend the night between trains. Next month I'll be coming east into 30th St., Philadelphia on No. 42, the Pennsylvanian on a Saturday. I'll then take a connecting train to Washington DC and then train No. 51, the Cardinal to Chicago on Sunday. I can take the connecting train to WAS the same day as my trip on No. 42 then spend the night in Washington or spend the night in 30th St. then take the connecting train to WAS the next day. I really don't want to spend several hundred dollars for a hotel room plus taxi so I figure to spend the night in either station as they are shown as being open 24 hours. I'll be traveling in a sleeper on No. 51 so that will allow me access to the ClubAcela lounge in WAS when it opens at 5:00 am. My concerns are safety, comfort and maybe the ability to get something to eat in the middle of the night. Any advice would be appreciated . Thanks in advance! (I realize that the Capitol Limited would get me to Chicago faster but I want to ride the Cardinal for the scenery I've heard so much about.)

Hi, I'm just looking for some advice on where readers think would be the better station to spend the night between trains. Next month I'll be coming east into 30th St., Philadelphia on No. 42, the Pennsylvanian on a Saturday. I'll then take a connecting train to Washington DC and then train No. 51, the Cardinal to Chicago on Sunday. I can take the connecting train to WAS the same day as my trip on No. 42 then spend the night in Washington or spend the night in 30th St. then take the connecting train to WAS the next day. I really don't want to spend several hundred dollars for a hotel room plus taxi so I figure to spend the night in either station as they are shown as being open 24 hours. I'll be traveling in a sleeper on No. 51 so that will allow me access to the ClubAcela lounge in WAS when it opens at 5:00 am. My concerns are safety, comfort and maybe the ability to get something to eat in the middle of the night. Any advice would be appreciated . Thanks in advance! (I realize that the Capitol Limited would get me to Chicago faster but I want to ride the Cardinal for the scenery I've heard so much about.)
WAS. Definitely.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live near BWI, so I don't frequent the hotels enough to be familiar with them, but there are a bunch, they're cheap, and it would be a good place to break your trip.

Cardinal doesn't stop here, so you'd need to get a Regional or a MARC train from BWI to either WAS or BAL Sunday morning. Easily done.

Just an FYI...the ClubAcela in WAS closes at 9PM. They've pushed me out the door a couple of times while I was waiting to board #66. I think it was perhaps 5-6 years ago, when I had to spend the next hour or so in what passes for 'chairs' at WAS. Without a doubt, they are the most uncomfortable chairs I've EVER sat in, especially for a couple of hours, when #66 was running late. Now those chairs have been introduced at other stations like PGH, etc. Any place with those uncomfortable chairs (there's less than 1/4" foam with a vinyl covering on them, and uncomfortable metal arm rests to separate you from the person next to you) would be my LAST choice of where to spend the night. Maybe that's intentional to keep the homeless from sleeping in the chairs. HOWEVER, there's Amtrak trains leaving WAS about every 2 hours during night, plus any late arrivals, so there's more than just 'undesirables' waiting for the train, too.

That leaves PHL. They still have the original 100-year old benches in the waiting area. I think their ClubAcela also closes at 9PM. However, someone horizontal on one of those benches is likely to get one of the RR cops to wake you up and tell you to 'move along', etc.

About a year ago, I wanted to take the westbound Cardinal, like you. Living in New England, I've ridden eastbound a fair number of times, and connect to #66 at WAS as they have the best food court, in my opinion vs PHL or NYP. Plus, by the time #50 reaches PHL, the vendors would be closed. So, I did a 'hotel check' in the WAS area online and had to limit my choices to one that was within a block or so of a subway stop...any subway stop. I found one in Alexandria pretty much across the street from the subway (elevated) station, and provided a full view of the Amtrak trains as well. It also has the distinction of being built on top of the late, great, Potomac (Pot) Yard. Unfortunately, it was quite pricey. There's two hotels there, and I walked into the wrong one. Having been a night auditor at a national hotel chain 15 years ago, I naturally asked the clerk what the walk-up rate would be at 7PM when I got there. He quoted $125. By 7PM or so, they know how many rooms are likely to go unfilled that night and most clerks are given some leeway on what price to quote, just to fill the bed and make a couple dollars. Sort of like flying 'standby' in days past. But I've had a number of business trips years ago to WAS and one time found that my 'usual' hotel (a Travel Lodge near the Iwo Jima Monument in Alexandria) was booked solid due to a convention. Other times, I found that reserving rooms at the government rate (I was on gov't contracts) was more expensive than a walk-up while I was checking in one night. You can't win.

So, finding something at BAL would be workable, hopefully on the trolley line. Heading towards the south, there's some 'high priced' (I think) chain hotels near the college, stadium, and the B&O Camden Yards station (end of the line for B&O line MARC commuter to WAS). Changing trolleys at Camden Yards station, you can ride to the BWI airport, but I don't recall seeing hotels within a short walk from any of the stops.

However...as has been discussed on another site, there's a Holiday Inn or something like that directly across the street from the Newark Penn Station (Amtrak) that's very reasonable. I'm contemplating spending a night there to maximize my NJ Transit 'exploring' time rather than down and back to Massachusetts the same day as I have been doing. It's GREAT being retired...

I have used BWI, taken the free shuttle to the airport, and the hotel shuttle to the hotel. There are several that generally have good rates.

I would pick WAS over PHL, but actually neither is good all night. As for food, I think they all close up by 9 or befor, then reopen early for the commuter rush.

Have you ever given thought to using an app like Hotels Tonight or Hotwire? Both show same day availability and usually have deep discounts. Once you decide where you want to transfer you could check the app and if you don’t see anything in your price range sleep at the station as your back up plan.

I would go with the recommendation not to stay in PHL 30th st or WAS union station overnight. As soon as the midnight clock hits twelve the homeless pile into those station by the 100's. That's not a particularly compassionate group and some may try to roll you over. You want to know what its really like? Did you ever watch the Walking Dead?

As soon as the midnight clock hits twelve the homeless pile into those station by the 100's. That not a particularly compassionate group and some may try to roll you over. You want to know what its really like? Did you ever watch the Walking Dead?
I must have missed that when I’ve been inside the station at that hour. Shame. Sounds entertaining.
(They’re probably more compassionate than you are)

I would go with the recommendation not to stay in PHL 30th st or WAS union station overnight. As soon as the midnight clock hits twelve the homeless pile into those station by the 100's. That's not a particularly compassionate group and some may try to roll you over. You want to know what its really like? Did you ever watch the Walking Dead?You clearly j
Interesting. I've been at 30th Street Station at 3am and it was nothing like you describe. It was quiet for sure, but I no security issues whatsoever.

I would go with the recommendation not to stay in PHL 30th st or WAS union station overnight. As soon as the midnight clock hits twelve the homeless pile into those station by the 100's. That's not a particularly compassionate group and some may try to roll you over. You want to know what its really like? Did you ever watch the Walking Dead?
That is an extreme exaggeration; most homeless people are harmless and the stations are usually just quiet at those times. However, I have experienced an issue with a homeless person once during the early morning hours. Last month, I rode Northeast Regional 66 from Washington to Boston, which stops for about an hour at New York Penn Station. During this time, I explored the station, which was quiet, but actually busier than I would expect at 2 AM. After this, I walked around the Empire State Building. When I returned, there was a homeless man loudly screaming about what seemed to be nothing in particular, and a few policemen surrounded him and arrested him. I didn't feel unsafe myself, but almost the whole width of the hallway between the Amtrak waiting room and the escalators to street level was blocked off. It was also strange returning to track level at Penn Station with no train movements whatsoever.

I understand you're trying to avoid exorbitant hotel rates, but like you I came into DC

in a sleeper on the Cardinal and wanted to wait until the next day to continue on to Lancaster.

But I had found what I considered a reasonable rate at the Phoenix Part Hotel right across

from Union Station - close enough I could roll my luggage to it. And breakfast the next

morning there was superb - I still remember the thick and meaty bacon (unlike with an

Amtrak breakfast!).

Yes, you'll spend a little more money, but you'll great comfort and food, and personal

safety.

Those overnight chairs and the homeless invasion are probably something you want no

part of. (Frankly, I am wondering why they let the homeless - or, really, any unticketed

passenger, hang out in Union Station overnight.)

I'll almost always get a room in nearby Rosslyn, or Pentagon/Crystal City. Both are minutes away on subway, and I've never paid more then $90 with an indoor pool. Rossyln is actually closer to the Lincoln memorial then Union Station.

I've stayed at the DC International Hostel for $25, and it was what you usually get. Loud and dirty. Still better then sleeping on a chair. Its not near a subway.

But I'll rarely stay in a hostel these days. Trouble is I'll usually travel with my kids, but most cities Hostels do not allow children. Yes, "Youth Hostels" usually have a no minor policy. That should tell you everything you need to know about city hostels.

If you do spend the night, check the schedule at the Kennedy Center. They have a free show every night at its Millenium Stage. Sometimes music, or comedians, or whatever.

I would go with the recommendation not to stay in PHL 30th st or WAS union station overnight. As soon as the midnight clock hits twelve the homeless pile into those station by the 100's. That's not a particularly compassionate group and some may try to roll you over. You want to know what its really like? Did you ever watch the Walking Dead?You clearly j
Interesting. I've been at 30th Street Station at 3am and it was nothing like you describe. It was quiet for sure, but I no security issues whatsoever.
I’ve been in there at 4am and it’s nothing like this sorts. It’s quiet and peaceful. Cleaners getting the station ready for the day ahead. I just remember that Dennis has a wild imagination.
default_wink.png

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Why stay in a hotel or in the station when you could be on a train?
default_smile.png

Northbound Option: Stay on 42 to NYP, transfer to 168 and ride up to Kingston RI, then back on 65.

Southbound Option: Take the Meteor down to Rocky Mt NC and back.

That's an excellent idea as well. Just have to keep an eye on the timekeeping and if you get behind be ready to jump from 168 to 65 at an earlier station. I would be more nervous about the timekeeping of the LD trains to do the southern option. It would suck to strand yourself somewhere in NC while your Cardinal was leaving DC.

I just remember that Dennis has a wild imagination.
default_wink.png
Valid point. This is a guy that drove from NJ to Virginia to find somewhere safe to park his car.

That's an excellent idea as well. Just have to keep an eye on the timekeeping and if you get behind be ready to jump from 168 to 65 at an earlier station. I would be more nervous about the timekeeping of the LD trains to do the southern option. It would suck to strand yourself somewhere in NC while your Cardinal was leaving DC.

I just remember that Dennis has a wild imagination.
default_wink.png
Valid point. This is a guy that drove from NJ to Virginia to find somewhere safe to park his car.
Another advantage to the Northern option is that it wouldn' require changing trains in the middle of the night. 67 leaves Providence at 10:22 PM whereas 98 doesn't leave Rocky Mount until 2:09 AM.

DC union station is generally very safe however everytime I am there I am always hassled by the homeless for money in the food court. I've spent plenty of nights at Union Station. However all of them were on private cars usually on thirty track.

I agree with the hostel suggestion. I have stayed at the HI hostels in Philly, Baltimore and D.C. All three were clean but I agree that the hostel in D.C. is a large hostel and it can be noisy. The hostel in Philly is quiet and is a one seat ride from the 30th St. Amtrak station, just a couple of short blocks from the 2nd St. station on the Market-Frankford line. The hostel in Baltimore is quiet but not all that convenient by transit to BAL Penn Station. As someone else said, the hostel in D.C. is 5 blocks or so from a Metro station. Some hostels also have private rooms, but they are a lot more expensive than a bunk in a dorm room. Since you just want to crash for the night I would recommend just getting a bunk in the Philly hostel if you want to go the hostel route. You can also shower in a hostel, which you can't do at the train station. I have used a pay shower in a train station in Europe, and I have heard that train stations in this country used to have them too, but not anymore.

Of course another budget option is to rent a room in someone's apartment on AirBnB. They don't have a filter for good transit access, though, and it can be tedious finding a convenient place on AirBnB.

I do understand not wanting to shell out a lot of $ for a hotel just to sleep in overnight between trains, but when traveling it is important to take care of yourself and get adequate rest. That will be not be so easy surrounded by needy strangers in a brightly-lit train station.

What ever you decide, I wish you a happy trip!

Laura

Back