Lincoln Service CHI - STL Business Class

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdeschner

Train Attendant
Hello All,

I have decided to merge my 2 favorite hobbies on my next trip from Chicago to St. Louis. I have booked to take the 301 from CHI to STL at 7am - 12:20pm, and then I will catch a cab to go to Saxquest, a saxophone store to drop 2 of my saxophones off for repair before the summer, and then catch the 304 at 3pm to head back to Chicago. I have selected business class, and this will be my first trip riding business, as I usually ride Sleeper on long distance, and haven´t really ridden many medium - distance trips. I understand we get use of the Metropolitan Lounge, and priority boarding. What can I do to help myself try to get one of the single seats in the 2x1 Configuration? Can you reserve a seat like a room on a sleeper? Also, is there a secure area so that I can leave my saxes and go to the cafe half of the car? I have only ridden one other train without checked baggage, and I didnt have any carry on, so this is newer to me. Does it just have the overhead shelves like a regular Amfleet I/II coach? My Final question is will Business Class be allowed to use the ¨First Class Lounge¨ In STL? I would assume so, it would be kind of odd for them to just use it for one line of sleepers per day (Texas Eagle). I have a pass for the lounge I can use if need be.

Thank you very much for your help,

Kyle

Kyle:

Good choice. As for the BC Car, half the car is the cafe,half is the 2x1 Seating separated by a curtain.

I wouldn't worry about leaving your instruments in the overhead bin while you visit the cafe which is only a few steps away, in fact you can leave the curtain open while you do this if you want to keep an eye on your valuables.

As for the Lounges, use a Red Cap in Chicago to board early from the Metro Lounge and snag a choice seat. ( tips appreciated)

The "Lounge" in STL is really just a, separate Waiting Room by the boarding point where Coach passengers line up close to the elevator and escelators to the platform.

You get a code from the Amtrak agent to enter. It has a TV, sometimes Coffee and water, and Clean Restrooms and beats the heck out of the small,crowded main waiting hall which is shared with Greyhound.

Don't plan on eating inside the station, all they have is a mini KFC/Pizza Hut Combo counter slinging greasy chow @ high prices.

Business class is usually full. Try to be one of the first to board if you want a specific seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
Correct and unfortunately from what I've seen a red cap is not likely to get you to board earlier than the rest of BC. I too wish you could pick your seat when you booked the trip like on the airlines' web sites.

Honestly, it is unlikely the business class will be full for the 7:00 am train out of CUS unless it is a Monday morning. However, it is pretty easy to snag a 1 seat if you just go the the front of the line after they call boarding from the lounge. Don't feel like you have to follow the leader, just walk fast to the train. The business car will either be the first car you come to, or the last car.

Agree with other to not be worried about your instruments on the train. Business class is isolated from coach, and your are steps away when you are at the cafe counter. There are overhead shelves.

Didn't even know that St Louis had a lounge. My only advice for St. Louis is don't stand in the long line of coach passengers. When they call boarding, just blend in. I doubt business will be full out of St. Louis either, even on a 3:00 train.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all very much. I have been informed by other sources that on some routes, there have been trains where they will seat business class in coach class. Is there a concern I need to have about that? I´m not paying more for a soda and a newspaper. I have seen the split cafe cars, but I have heard on other routes they may sub in a full cafe for the 1/2 cafe if the equipment needs service. Should I worry about that?

Thank you all for your help. Never have done BC Before!
-Kyle

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, it is unlikely the business class will be full for the 7:00 am train out of CUS unless it is a Monday morning. However, it is pretty easy to snag a 1 seat if you just go the the front of the line after they call boarding from the lounge. Don't feel like you have to follow the leader, just walk fast to the train. The business car will either be the first car you come to, or the last car.

Agree with other to not be worried about your instruments on the train. Business class is isolated from coach, and your are steps away when you are at the cafe counter. There are overhead shelves.

Didn't even know that St Louis had a lounge. My only advice for St. Louis is don't stand in the long line of coach passenger. When they call boarding, just blend in. I doubt business will be full of of St. Louis either, even on a 3:00 train.
It says St. Louis Has a First Class Lounge on their site, but then again I have never Arrived / Departed out of STL.

https://www.amtrak.com/stations/stl.html

Thank you all very much. I have been informed by other sources that on some routes, there have been trains where they will seat business class in coach class. Is there a concern I need to have about that? I´m not paying more for a soda and a newspaper. I have seen the split cafe cars, but I have heard on other routes they may sub in a full cafe for the 1/2 cafe if the equipment needs service. Should I worry about that?

-Kyle
It's not anything I would worry about. Is it possible? Sure, I suppose so. Is it at all likely? No, not in my opinion. I've never experienced that in my Midwest corridor business class travels (Lincoln, Wolverine, etc). And I can't recall reading about it here from others either.

Also, I've traveled to/from St. Louis a number of times, but I've never bothered to figure out about the lounge.

-Kyle
It's not anything I would worry about. Is it possible? Sure, I suppose so. Is it at all likely? No, not in my opinion. I've never experienced that in my Midwest corridor business class travels (Lincoln, Wolverine, etc). And I can't recall reading about it here from others either.

Also, I've traveled to/from St. Louis a number of times, but I've never bothered to figure out about the lounge.
Regular business rider here on the Michigan trains and I have never experienced that either. One time when I got on at a small stop Business Class was full so I asked the conductor how can that be since I have a BC ticket and sure enough someone was sitting in BC with a coach ticket. They then had to get up and move and there was my seat. But that was once out of many many many rides! I'd say IF that happened ask them to then downgrade your ticket/reservation to coach and refund you the difference.

Okay. Thank you. All Drinks are free? I have heard so many disputes about this. I have heard unlimited free coffee or tea, one free beverage, or unlimited beverages. I would just like to know what to expect onboard.

My understanding is one free beverage. They have you sign a form when you get your free beverage. I could see unlimited coffee maybe, but have never asked.

yes coffee or tea is unlimited. Other beverages (non alcoholic) are free and you are limited to one (soda, juice, water, etc.)

Back