Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still have no idea , how fantasies have anything to do with production and delivery ??
And neither do the aprox. last ten posts have anything to do with VII production and delivery. They all have to do with LSL summer reroute and should be moved into that thread.
While I agree, this conversation started off with the prospect of adding a V-II diner to the LSL, and then segued to the LSL termination. I would agree that these posts be moved to the "Empire Service to GCT, Numerous NYP adjustments 2018" thread.

EDIT: Then again, what difference does it actually make.
The difference is people come to these threads based on the headers. If the come to this one looking for info on the new VLII's they don't want to have to read through all of the LSL truncation posts. As you may remember, other trains are using the VLII's.
default_wink.png

AU does allow these streams to meander all over the place, including flowing to an entirely different ocean sometimes
default_tongue.png
It's a balancing act between taking a hard interpretation of what is and is not on-topic and maybe stifling interesting conversation, and just letting anything go in every topic and having discussion wander all over the place. My personal approach is to interfere as little as possible. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. Some like it, some do not.

I will take a look back at this thread and see if some posts should either be merged into another existing topic or split into a new topic.

Iirc yhe lsl food diner lite car is nyp based. The lounge going to bos is chicago based iirc. So changing the diner service of any type will be complicated unless amtrak can temporarily move the lsl diner crew base to chicago.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Here's hoping that the ~5weeks between delivery continues to hold. If they can stick to that and finish up the last 9 diners in the next 5 months, hopefully we'll start seeing some bag/dorms in the fall. It would also be nice to hear about putting some of those diners into some type of service; diner lites or even a pay as you go diner on the Star.

So just as a list of all the delivered diners (forgive me if I'm wrong):

The obvious ones:

• 68001 'Annapolis' - entered service
  • 68002 'Atlanta' - entered service
  • 68003 'Augusta' - entered service
  • 68004 'Baton Rouge' - entered service
  • 68005 'Boston' - entered service
  • 68006 'Charleston' - entered service
  • 68007 'Columbia' - entered service
  • 68008 'Columbus' - entered service
  • 68012 'Harrisburg' - entered service
  • 68013 'Hartford' - entered service'
  • 68014 'Jackson' - entered service
  • 68015 'Lansing' - entered service
  • 68016 'Madison' - entered service
  • 68017 'Montgomery' - entered service
And Montpelier/Nashville have yet to enter service, with Montpelier protecting, and Nashville not quite ready for service?

Last edited by a moderator:
68018 has entered protect service in NYP.
Have wondered if there will ever be a protect at WASH ? That would cover any defects happening NYP - WASH.
I was on 91 (31), which had a defective sleeping car that was replaced at Washington. However, I don't know if it was a protect or was part of the Cardinal consist that arrived the day before.

68018 has entered protect service in NYP.
Have wondered if there will ever be a protect at WASH ? That would cover any defects happening NYP - WASH.
I was on 91 (31), which had a defective sleeping car that was replaced at Washington. However, I don't know if it was a protect or was part of the Cardinal consist that arrived the day before.
Yea other than the time it takes to do the switching, that worked out well. Ordinarily there are not 25000, 28000, 62000, or 68000 series protects in WAS. Mark that as a positive for the Cardinal turning at WAS. What a horrible thought, being downgraded from a sleeper to coach due to a shopped car.

Happened to me once. I asked for a refund, got it and flew instead. I have completely forsworn doing LD Coach on Amtrak after getting shuffled around from seat to seat to address the needs of seemingly everyone else on the train except myself upon the threat of being kicked off the train for not obeying random commands of the crew.

Happened to me once. I asked for a refund, got it and flew instead. I have completely foresworn doing LD Coach on Amtrak after getting shuffled around from seat to seat to address the needs of seemingly everyone else on the train except myself upon. The threat of being kicked off the train for not obeying random commands of the crew.

Same here. I either get a roomette or fly. I head down to Florida a couple times a year, and as unpleasant as the airlines are, I would rather endure that for three hours than be stuck in a (much more spacious) seat 26 hours overnight, effectively with 60 other roommates. Additionally, its often cheaper to fly than take coach on Amtrak.
I know that for many people, a fear of flying or a medical condition prohibits them from taking a plane, but for me, my love of Amtrak isnt great enough to justify spending more than a day in a seat.

Happened to me once. I asked for a refund, got it and flew instead. I have completely foresworn doing LD Coach on Amtrak after getting shuffled around from seat to seat to address the needs of seemingly everyone else on the train except myself upon. The threat of being kicked off the train for not obeying random commands of the crew.

If I went to the trouble of reserving a trip early, got to the station early, in an attempt to get a choice seating locale; I too would be very displeased, to put it mildly, if I was ordered to give up my choice location...

I generally only will do sleeper. Occasionally I will do coach but never overnight, and the trains sleepers must be astronomical. Hence my next trip I'm deadheading out on the cardinal. It's a daylight trip. Then I don't need to waste the money on the sleeper. But if I take 91/92 north from SC I will always do a sleeper.

It's currently protecting in NY. They also have a new one protecting in NOL.

Back