Planning a LSL Trip - Recommendations Appreciated

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since you are boarding in Erie at 7:20AM (could be later), consider booking Business Class seats on 448. The BC seats are in the front section of the cafe car and are quite comfortable for a daytime ride.

On the return trip expect to arrive late in Erie. Westbound you really want the roomette.
Ill second the recommendation for Business Class on the 448 LSL. Its comfortable, a money saver on a day trip, and a lot less hectic and crowded than coach typically. Also, when Ive taken a roomette on a Viewliner on 448 with my wife, there is usually a large, accessible bathroom only 1 or 2 cars down in the lounge. Thats a good alternative to the in room toilet - and you still have the in room sink - which is a great feature for brushing your teeth, shaving or splashing some water on your face.

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum
Thanks for the heads up. How would you go about scheduling on the 448 or 449 out of ERI? The only options that appear for me are 48/49 without business class seats as an option (for the multiple dates I've played with).
You would have to book a multi-city or two separate tickets with a transfer at Albany-Rensselaer. If you wait for the forced transfer to be programmed into the system, business class may come up as a possibility on a one-way ticket as well.
Yes. Since 448/449 are the Boston sections, it's not normally listed for passengers past ALB (where the train splits). One thing I will say about Business Class is that it's in an Amfleet I, which means you'd have significantly smaller windows than in a Roomette or even Coach (Amfleet II). And you'd also be walking through maybe four coach cars to get to the diner.
Is the Business Class car generally directly behind the locomotive/baggage cars in the front?
It goes Locomotive - Locomotive - Baggage - Boston Sleeper - Business/Cafe - [a bunch of other stuff]. So yes, it is the third car at the front.
Thanks. Does the LSL have a dedicated attendant for the business class car? I’ve read that the experience tends to shift depending on which route you’re on...

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
I believe the Business attendant also serves as the cafe attendant.

Anyhow, so if you do still decide to take the LSL, I would say definitely get a roomette on #49 since it’s overnight (unless the price is ridiculous), and if a roomette is reasonably cheap on #48, maybe go for it, but I wouldn’t describe it as a necessity. Business does seem like a decent option, but it won’t be a MASSIVE step up from coach. It’ll be quieter, you’ll have a bit more space, and you get a couple free sodas, but really there’s not much else.

However you travel (even flying), I hope you have a great trip!

Anyhow, so if you do still decide to take the LSL, I would say definitely get a roomette on #49 since it’s overnight (unless the price is ridiculous), and if a roomette is reasonably cheap on #48, maybe go for it, but I wouldn’t describe it as a necessity. Business does seem like a decent option, but it won’t be a MASSIVE step up from coach. It’ll be quieter, you’ll have a bit more space, and you get a couple free sodas, but really there’s not much else.

Thank you! Really appreciate all your help!

Glad I could help. [emoji846]

Glad I could help. [emoji846]
Looks like I'll be able to check-out the roomette experience a bit earlier than I expected. Had a last minute meeting pop up in Chicago and decided to take the train there. I will be taking the 449 in roomette 001 there and 48 in roomette 006 back. Since the 449 train pulls into ERI late at night (around 2 AM), will my roomette be configured for sleeping when I board?

Looks like I'll be able to check-out the roomette experience a bit earlier than I expected. Had a last minute meeting pop up in Chicago and decided to take the train there. I will be taking the 449 in roomette 001 there and 48 in roomette 006 back. Since the 449 train pulls into ERI late at night (around 2 AM), will my roomette be configured for sleeping when I board?
Yes. It will be ready with the bed laid out on the lower berth ready for you to got to bed.

Check your roomette number! Normally Roomette #1 on any sleeper car is assigned to the SCA at least on the sleeper cars I've been in.
Just double checked. Car 4920 - Room 001.
default_smile.png

That sounds right for a Viewliner. I've only been on the Florida ones, but room 001 on them is a passenger roomette, and the SCA's room is 12, I believe (or maybe 11).

Room 001 is one of my favorites--you will have a neighbor on only one side, and the linen closet (which never makes any noise
default_tongue.png
) on the other side of you. Although, to be fair, sleeper car passengers seem fairly quiet in general.

That sounds right for a Viewliner. I've only been on the Florida ones, but room 001 on them is a passenger roomette, and the SCA's room is 12, I believe (or maybe 11).

Room 001 is one of my favorites--you will have a neighbor on only one side, and the linen closet (which never makes any noise
default_tongue.png
) on the other side of you. Although, to be fair, sleeper car passengers seem fairly quiet in general.
On Viewliners, the SCA's roomette does not have a number, and is never used for revenue passengers. There are 13 roomettes total, revenue rooms 1-12, and the SCA room.

Last edited by a moderator:
The SCA room on VL is across from the shower and is outfitted with a annunciation board for rooms who pressed their CALL button. The SCA room on SL is always #1, even if they still use the Transdorm. On SL cars #1 is a non revenue room.

Back