Emp Serv to GCT, LSL NYP Suspended, Other NYP Changes 2018

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same for me. My wife was in DC for about 2 years for work so we visited a lot of the city on weekends, around Union Station and DuPont Circle were favorites. Even walked down the mall to the Smithsonian Metro to get back to Crystal City after dinner near the capitol on a few occasions. Just keep your eyes open and enjoy.

50's first run as a CHI-WAS is currently 6 hours down and projected to lose more time. This is will definitely miss 90 and I can't imagine them holding 66. It looks like the connections will have to board the 3:15am.

Perhaps we should start a separate thread for this operation?

What say you, Mods?
50's first run to WAS was 50 (29), which arrived WAS on time.

NYC is doomed for another ‘Summer of Hell’

Amtrak on Tuesday announced a massive, multimillion-dollar repair project scheduled for this summer that will force changes on several commuter lines.

“Critical reconstruction” work will be performed on the Empire Tunnel, Spuyten Duyvil Bridge and Track 19 in New York Penn Station, Amtrak said.

As a result, Empire Service, Ethan Allen Express, Adirondack and Maple Leaf trains will be rerouted from New York Penn Station to Grand Central Terminal between May 26 and Sept. 4.The Lake Shore Limited will only run between Boston and Chicago, with New York City and Hudson Valley travelers connecting from Empire Service trains at Albany-Rensselaer.

The repairs will cost between $45 million and $50 million.“While the schedules have yet to be finalized, there will be fewer service impacts and schedule changes compared to Summer 2017,” Amtrak said, referring to the eight weeks of repairs that sparked a “Summer of Hell” at Penn Station.

Time is ticking and there are still issues with the GCT plan. We'll see how this turns out. Who knows? Maybe, they'll cut doors in the noses of the P32s before this is all over.

Last edited by a moderator:
They actually put all of that PTC stuff in giant box behind the fireman's side seat. Still, even if they cut a door in the nose, it would probably impact something useful....like the controls and dash and there isn't a likely way to build steps.

Is the Park Avenue tunnel still undergoing work on weekends this summer Dutch?

Has anything been noted if the LSL will have cut off cars at Albany ? That would save one partial consist as the inbound # 48 cars could make close same day connections to outbound LSL from BOS ?

Has anything been noted if the LSL will have cut off cars at Albany ? That would save one partial consist as the inbound # 48 cars could make close same day connections to outbound LSL from BOS ?
There’s basically no chance they could reliably service and turn the equipment same-day in Albany. If 48 was on time, you’d have maybe 3-4 hours to service, clean , inspect and restock the train. If 48 is late, you’d have even less time.

Well, at least it's all official. I'm tempted to catch a Maple Leaf this summer, just to enjoy a departure from Grand Central. Penn Station is a s**thole by comparison. Actually, Penn Stations is a s**thole compared to pretty much anything.
default_smile.png

Yesterday's Albany Times Union reported that Amtrak confirmed it, but was still short of details on exactly what the final arrangements will be When we see a memo from Amtrak rather than a 3rd party report the picture will (hopefully) be clearer.

So, a serious question: With the Adirondack being shunted to NYG, how is this going to affect transfers to/from said train?

We'll see how much this hurts LSL traffic. NY-Chicago is pretty big business on the LSL, and there's a lot of checked luggage on that city pair too. Is there a connection which allows for checked luggage transfer at Albany? I don't think people will be too happy to wait an extra day for their bags if they have to go via Boston or DC.

Anderson's new policy is to make the monthly reports less informative, so he may well conceal ridership and revenue numbers, but I predict it'll hurt. Financially.

Apart from the checked baggage issue, most people will probably tolerate the train change in Albany.

AFAIK, the only checked baggage between NY and Albany is the LSL. Boston passengers did across the platform transfer for an extended period while the work was done in Albany, I realize it involved less passengers, but the it wasn't too bad. How was baggage dealt with then?

AFAIK, the only checked baggage between NY and Albany is the LSL. Boston passengers did across the platform transfer for an extended period while the work was done in Albany, I realize it involved less passengers, but the it wasn't too bad. How was baggage dealt with then?
There was a baggage car on the Shuttle 448/449 with luggage transferred from one train to another. There is not typically any other train with baggage service over the Empire Corridor although the connecting Empire Service train could temporarily run with a baggage car like the NER did for the Crescent last year. However, an area for checked bags would need to be set up at Grand Central.

By official, I was referring to what the alternate connections will be. That includes trains like ADK or EA as mentioned above.
This is what I was wondering as well. I presume either a self-transfer or a bus connection will run (I think they've done the latter before), but seeing a ton of luggage-hauling pax making for the ACE lines is gonna be a sight.

Reading the announcements...Amtrak staffing Grand Central? And here I only thought they cut staffed stations :p Boy, this is going to be an interesting summer...

(One thing I wish right now is that the Adirondack was (1) timetable-reliable and (2) ran about an hour earlier SB. To hell with making a connection over at NYP, I'd love to be able to enjoy supper at the Oyster Bar upon arrival!)

Back