Winter Storm Riley 3/2/18

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on 131 and I think what it's doing can barely be defined as moving. But I was just glad to snag a ticket at 4am when I woke up to find 79 was canceled.

20 (4) is cancelled account 19 (2) never operated.

97 (2) did not operate, yet 98 (4) is on the move. Does Miami have a protect?

There was a CSX derailment on the bridge over the Susquehanna River between Cecil County and Hartford County Maryland last night. Reportedly four cars went into the river and two overturned on the bridge.

The other bridges including the I 95 bridge were closed with the exception of the bridge on top of the Conowingo Bridge. My Son-In- Law said it took him 3 hrs to get across the bridge last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

There was a CSX derailment on the bridge over the Susquehanna River between Cecil County and Hartford County Maryland last night. Reportedly four cars went into the river and two overturned on the bridge.

The other bridges including the I 95 bridge were closed with the exception of the bridge on top of the Conowingo Bridge. My Son-In- Law said it took him 3 hrs to get across the bridge last night.

You mean Friday, don’t you?

Sorry, I meant Friday. I just heard from my Son-In-Law this morning and said last night instead of Friday night. Blame it on a Senior moment!

Last edited by a moderator:
No, the fake names assigned by the weather channel don’t, much like me deciding to name the shower that rained on me yesterday “Annoying Storm Philly” isn’t meaningful. Hurricanes named by the National Weather Service do for some folks, which was an issue for people when Sandy was reclassified as post-tropical before getting to Jersey.

That’s part of the reason that they’re derided by many folks in the weather enter
Hey, who gave the Weather Service the authority to name tropical cyclones? (If you cite me the act of Congress that gives this authority, I willl retract mey statement.)

Hey, who gave the Weather Service the authority to name tropical cyclones? (If you cite me the act of Congress that gives this authority, I willl retract mey statement.)
The National Weather Service wasn't the first organization to name tropical cyclones, and they're not the current organization in charge of tropical cyclone names (that would be the World Meteorological Organization).

I don't think they need specific authority to use the names of tropical cyclones, but at any rate, 15 USC 9, part 313, gives the Secretary of Commerce (and by extension, NOAA and the National Weather Service) fairly broad responsibilities involving weather forecasting and disseminating weather information.

Back