'New' Union Station for Raleigh, NC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jis,

Thanks for the pictures. Tuesday only the Silver Stars are running account track work west of Raleigh. Hopefully they'll be doing more interlocking work to eventually connect up the new station tracks.

By they way, I see from another thread that you're patiently waiting for 91 at Raleigh. If I may ask, what brought you up this way?

jb

A grand opening had been set for April 27, but word says it's being postponed a week.

AU has standards???
default_smile.png

Also, reports are that a third daily Piedmont will start in June. Combined with the Carolinian, this will provide four daily Charlotte-Raleigh frequencies.

I don't think anyone will really miss the 1950 Southern station that Amtrak has been using since 1986, but if so, get your photos now. It will be torn down in a few months so that the NS freight main line can be relocated. Ironically the 1942 Seaboard station (used by Amtrak 1971-1986) and the 1890 Union Station will outlive the Southern station. The 1942 and 1890 stations were repurposed.

Also, reports are that a third daily Piedmont will start in June. Combined with the Carolinian, this will provide four daily Charlotte-Raleigh frequencies.

I don't think anyone will really miss the 1950 Southern station that Amtrak has been using since 1986, but if so, get your photos now. It will be torn down in a few months so that the NS freight main line can be relocated. Ironically the 1942 Seaboard station (used by Amtrak 1971-1986) and the 1890 Union Station will outlive the Southern station. The 1942 and 1890 stations were repurposed.
The Southern station has a unique after-thought picture window corridor outside of the brick building. I like it, but it's unsuitable for the traffic it sees. I found the repurposed 1942 station, now home to Logan's One Stop Garden Shop. I can't find the 1890 station. Where is it? EDIT: Oh my. It's not that ugly building on the corner of Dawson & Martin, is it?

They didn't keep much of that "historic brick warehouse" did they? Barely kept the shape.

Last edited by a moderator:
post_4.jpg

Yes, Dawson & Martin. But the building was severely remodeled (ruined?) when it was repurposed. Here's what it originally looked like.

In-service date for new station is postponed to "second half of May" (literally what the City spokesman said).

I went to orientation this morning to be a host at the new station for the rest of the week, and weekend. Things were hopping this morning. The last train to the old station should be the Silver Star #91 tonight. After that, everything will be moved to the new station, including the computer equipment. The first train departing the new station tomorrow morning will be Piedmont #73 at 6.30 a.m.

jb

I went to orientation this morning to be a host at the new station for the rest of the week, and weekend. Things were hopping this morning. The last train to the old station should be the Silver Star #91 tonight. After that, everything will be moved to the new station, including the computer equipment. The first train departing the new station tomorrow morning will be Piedmont #73 at 6.30 a.m.

jb
Won't Piedmont #78 be the last train to use the old station?

Back