CHI-MKE still unreserved?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthShore

Conductor
I've noticed that fares between Chicago and Milwaukee now vary a bit between peak and non peak service times.

Are tickets still for unreserved seating? Can a ticket bought for one train still be used on a following train or on another day? (And is there an extra charge or refund/voucher for riding on a train with a fare differential from your original ticket?) Or is all ticketing on the Hiawathas now train # day/time specific?

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember, it's still unreserved, but there's now peak and off peak trains like LIRR/MNR. Use any day, but if you use an off peak ticket on a peak train, pay more.

So, who would one pay the extra charge to?

The conductor?
I, too, have wondered how that would work. Since the peak/off-peak distinction was put in place, I've used a peak ticket on an off-peak train and a ticket for off-peak Train A on off-peak Train B (as could always be done in the past), but I have not used, nor have I seen anyone else near me use, an off-peak ticket on a peak train.

On the LIRR you would pay the conductor. Penalties for paying onboard may apply, but I have seen some conductors let it slide.
Right. I've encountered it on commuter rail, but wasn't sure Amtrak would follow the same practice.

I wonder if the Amtrak Conductors really want to mess with the up charge. But with everything becoming more and more electronic, wouldn't allowing an Off-Peak ticket on a Peak train be picked up in the ticket audit which could come back to hurt the Conductor?

What else is there? They don't really have any other way available....
Make the passenger purchase a peak ticket ticket on their phone and seek a refund/voucher for the off-peak ticket? Hopefully it would be as simple as paying the two dollar difference. But if the passenger doesn't have any cash on hand...

Sounds like some of our Chicago-area members should do some field-testing to see what happens....
default_wink.png

Sounds like some of our Chicago-area members should do some field-testing to see what happens....
default_wink.png
I guess you're giving me a good reason to make a MKE-CHI roundtrip next chance I get. I just have to remember to purchase an off-peak ticket and ride a peak train.

Make the passenger purchase a peak ticket ticket on their phone and seek a refund/voucher for the off-peak ticket? Hopefully it would be as simple as paying the two dollar difference. But if the passenger doesn't have any cash on hand...
I imagine at CUS and Milwaukee Intermodal Terminal, a passenger check of tickets before boarding could result in sending a passenger with a deficiency back to the ticket counter to rebook...if there's time. But that would not work at an intermediate station.

And could one even be reissued a properly priced ticket online for a train at or after departure time?

So, in using a peak ticket at a non peak train time, is there any refund/credit?

This is an issue only for the Luddites. For the rest who use their Smartphone to buy and display tickets, one buys the appropriate ticket just before boarding the train. I can't remember the last time I used a paper ticket on any of the NY area Commuter Services.

CHI-MKE service is Amtrak service with ticketing available through the Amtrak App, so just buy the ticket just before boarding the train.

Now if only NYC MTA could get its act together and actually get a modern Smartcard based fare collection system up and running...... specially one that accepts any NFC device like many other great cities of the world do....

The question was regarding having a an off peak ticket, and boarding a peak fare train or vice versa. The MTA e-ticket app requires the ticket be purchased and activated before departure. It does not prevent you from buying the wrong ticket for the particular train you board. It also requires linking to a credit card, which occasional riders often don't want to bother with. Plenty of action at the TVMs, they take cash......

Yeah one could also buy a ticket to a wrong destination by mistake and there is no refunding of it too
default_biggrin.png

Actually, you have to purchase and activate the ticket before a Conductor demands to see it. Usually I am purchasing and activating the ticket as I am walking to my seat on the train.

Cash? What's that?
default_tongue.png

The people who don't ride the railroad often, especially tourists and "city ticket" on weekends are big tvm and cash customers. Actually, the MTA instructions specifically call for activation before boarding, but that is probably unenforceable.

I imagine at CUS and Milwaukee Intermodal Terminal, a passenger check of tickets before boarding could result in sending a passenger with a deficiency back to the ticket counter to rebook...if there's time. But that would not work at an intermediate station.

And could one even be reissued a properly priced ticket online for a train at or after departure time?

So, in using a peak ticket at a non peak train time, is there any refund/credit?
There is no pre-boarding ticket check at CHI and MKE. On board, tickets are typically not checked until after Glenview (northbound) and Sturtevant (southbound).

As for a refund/credit, I highly doubt it, but I've never asked/tried.

This is an issue only for the Luddites. For the rest who use their Smartphone to buy and display tickets, one buys the appropriate ticket just before boarding the train. I can't remember the last time I used a paper ticket on any of the NY area Commuter Services.

CHI-MKE service is Amtrak service with ticketing available through the Amtrak App, so just buy the ticket just before boarding the train.
So, here's the scenario I have in mind....

One travels to Milwaukee (or Chicago) for a day trip, expecting to return that evening. For ease, you purchase a return ticket (let's say it's an eticket, off your phone) at the same time, on your expected train. But, you stay in town late...maybe even overnight, skipping the original booking. So, you don't bother to cancel and rebook. After all, you already have a good ticket in pdf. Just use it on whatever train you do take home. But, if you paid a couple bucks more for the rush hour return, or if the next train is peak service and your ticket wasn't....

Obviously, the easy answer is "Cancel and rebook." But, what if one doesn't think to do so, and simply boards? Now what?

As a practical matter, I'm considering organizing a group trip upon which travelers may wish to return at different times, depending on whether they are interested in getting home faster or spending some time in Milwaukee. The easiest thing to do would be to offer them each a personal ticket for the next trip back to Chicago, note the return trip times, and let them choose, individually, to get on whatever train they want. Some (most) are likely unfamiliar with Amtrak procedures, however, so it isn't as straightforward as it might be for a regular commuter.

A peak ticket can be used on an off-peak train with no problem. And it's only a two-dollar difference in fare. When I've been unsure which train I'll end up taking and wanted to book in advance for whatever reason, I've booked a peak train.

Back