WiFi on trains?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I will be traveling with on the Crescent. Does anyone know how the service is on there. Wondering if I will be able to use my Netflix app or should I bring my portable DVD player to watch movies. I will be on the train for 26 hours. Thanks!
"To ensure there is enough bandwidth for all of our onboard users, this free amenity supports general web browsing activities only. Our Wi-Fi does not support high-bandwidth actions such as streaming music, streaming video or downloading large files. "

https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/journey-with-wi-fi-train-station.html

On the Crescent I got a call on my phone that was connected to the WiFi. I couldn't understand the caller and had to call them back after I turned off the WiFi Calling feature. We loaded a half dozen compressed movies on our iPad. That was more than we had time to watch.

It really does depend on the train. I've found the Northeast Regional and Silver Meteor's WiFi fast enough for most things - sometimes it's even fast enough for Netflix streaming. Don't count on any train having great, reliable WiFi, but I'd say it's sufficient for most people's needs when traveling.
Yep, just chiming in that we rode the Silver Meteor a couple weeks ago and the WiFi was quick and surprisingly reliable. Didn't try to stream so I can't comment on that, but I was able to browse online any time I tried and there was very little lag.
Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Streaming is not supported, and some sites may be blocked. Streaming is bandwidth intensive, and in a shared bandwidth environment can seriously impact everyone else's performance.
It let me watch some 480p youtube videos. Amtrak shouldn't care what I'm doing on the WiFi so long as it doesn't exceed my data allowance. So if Amtrak limits me to say 15 Mbps, they don't care if I'm checking my email or watching low resolution videos.

Youtube.com (the base URL) is blocked by Amtrakconnect, but you can click a link to a youtube video and it will play (assuming the bandwidth is there).

I have been on trains where so many people were trying to use the wi-fi at the same time in the evening that is was effectively useless, even for email. Next morning at 6am, it was fine. The issue is not whether you are exceeding "your" data allowance. Can someone tell me if routers meter individual users to "allowances"? That doesn't seem to be the way mine works. It's more like a bottleneck, if everyone wants data at once, none seems to get through.

On the CS last week. WiFi was available in our sleeper. I tried to use google maps on my wife's tablet, it connected fine but it needed to download a map. That download kept failing about two-thirds of the way through. I guess when the say no downloads, they mean NO downloads.

There is no "individual allowance" It is a pooled resource, the more people on line, the less available for each
I'm saying that at a given time, so long as I don't exceed my 'share', AmtrakConnect has been pretty unrestrictive. When things are busy, as has been mentioned above, it's basically useless.

As long as there aren't too many users simultaneously, in a strong signal area, it's generally ok. The point I was making is that there is not an individual allocation or share, whatever is available is shared amongs users, if more users engage in bandwidth intensive activities, everyone's service diminishes. That is why they block certain sites and clearly state they do not support large downloads or streaming.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the Meteor have Wi-Fi in the sleepers? I know it was only in the lounge and coaches for a while....

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Does the Meteor have Wi-Fi in the sleepers? I know it was only in the lounge and coaches for a while....

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
Yes. It usually works pretty well, although there are a few dead spots.

Back