91(5) and 53(5) Delays.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thirdrail7

Engineer
According to Dixieland, both trains having been standing near Emporia, NC for hours, waiting for an obstruction to clear.
default_ph34r.png

91(5) will "likely" remain on the "A" Line between RMT and SAV.

97(05) is now holding at Petersburg. I don’t see any delay estimates. Q409 had a significant malfunction with a car. Apparently it caught fire, set fire to the right-of-way, tore up good bit of track and several switches before getting stopped.

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

97(05) is now holding at Petersburg. I don’t see any delay estimates. Q409 had a significant malfunction with a car. Apparently it caught fire, set fire to the right-of-way, tore up good bit of track and several switches before getting stopped.

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum
Yikes. Not a good week on the Atlantic Coast lines.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

At this moment 91(5), which ran the A-line south of Selma, is approaching Florence about 10 hours late. 97(5) is trailing, 6 hours late. 53(5) is trailing 97 -- I wonder how that happened -- and will be at least 10 hours late.

92(5) is back on the S-line through NC this morning, and I assume 91(6) will run the S-line also.

Looks like Crash Smash eXplode is truly living upto its name of late!
default_wink.png

The diversion routing for 91 apparently is: (southbound) S-Line Selma-Hamlet, Andrews Sub Hamlet-Dillon, A-Line south

and vice versa for 92 northbound

Last edited by a moderator:
My sister just talked with my niece...She got on in Jesup, (98/5) and at the first stop (Savannah) they took a man off...drunk and disorderly? She thinks he may have got on in Jesup. Then they had hot brakes...CJ

At this moment 91(5), which ran the A-line south of Selma, is approaching Florence about 10 hours late. 97(5) is trailing, 6 hours late. 53(5) is trailing 97 -- I wonder how that happened -- and will be at least 10 hours late.
They ran 97 around 53 as it waited for a recrew.

91(5) made up two hours running the A line...then promptly lost 30 minutes. 53(5) is running 12' down. This will obviously impact 52(6). Who wants to take the over under on a midnight departure for 52(6)?

According to ASM, 53(5) is just coming up to Sanford. It looks like a 10pm arrival and 2am departure? It will take time to get out of this death cycle.

That being said, I have a question for AmtrakLKL. According to ASM, 91(5) departed LKL down 9'58" and is heading to TPA. What happened to the days when they'd bus passengers for LKL and TPA at WTH and send the train directly to MIA to make up time? I believe this maneuver was called the Tampa Bypass.

According to ASM, 53(5) is just coming up to Sanford. It looks like a 10pm arrival and 2am departure? It will take time to get out of this death cycle.

That being said, I have a question for AmtrakLKL. According to ASM, 91(5) departed LKL down 9'58" and is heading to TPA. What happened to the days when they'd bus passengers for LKL and TPA at WTH and send the train directly to MIA to make up time? I believe this maneuver was called the Tampa Bypass.
I was on 91 (06) in January which still stopped in Tampa despite being nearly 12 hours late. Considering the high volume of passengers at Tampa, I think it still makes sense to stop there regardless of a delay unless it will cause a major operational issue that could be avoided by running straight to Miami.

We are boarding 97 this Friday... Safe to assume there will likely still be delays? Hopefully it'll clear up a little by then.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

We are boarding 97 this Friday... Safe to assume there will likely still be delays? Hopefully it'll clear up a little by then.

Shouldn't be. 2/5's delays were due to a freight issue, not the SC accident.

I was on 91 (06) in January which still stopped in Tampa despite being nearly 12 hours late. Considering the high volume of passengers at Tampa, I think it still makes sense to stop there regardless of a delay unless it will cause a major operational issue that could be avoided by running straight to Miami.
What about the rest of the through passengers who will eat another 2-3 hours? Bypassing Tampa it isn't much different than busing the other passengers while the Star is detouring....assuming you can corral the buses.

52(6) left at 2:14am. I was pretty close.

Last edited by a moderator:

What about the rest of the through passengers who will eat another 2-3 hours? Bypassing Tampa it isn't much different than busing the other passengers while the Star is detouring....assuming you can corral the buses.

In my experience, usually at least 2/3 of the passengers detrain in Tampa, with the same fraction boarding heading south of there. If my numbers are accurate, that would mean 80% or more of total passengers board or detrain in Tampa. In addition, when the train is 12 hours late like when I was aboard, many South Florida passengers may prefer it to lose a little more time as it becomes an early morning arrival rather than the middle of the night.

In my experience, usually at least 2/3 of the passengers detrain in Tampa, with the same fraction boarding heading south of there. If my numbers are accurate, that would mean 80% or more of total passengers board or detrain in Tampa. In addition, when the train is 12 hours late like when I was aboard, many South Florida passengers may prefer it to lose a little more time as it becomes an early morning arrival rather than the middle of the night.
If they prefer to lose more time perhaps Amtrak should have left the A line and used the Andrews sub detour after all.
default_mellow.png
That would have chewed up 2 more hours and made for an even later arrival.

At any rate, thank you for your opinion regarding how late you'd like to arrive but I'd still like to read what AmtrakLKL has to say about why this practice seemingly no longer exists. Costs? Lack of buses? Too much travel?

I guess they aren't going to play with it. With 52(6) trudging along 12'21" down, 53(7) is canceled which will eliminate the death cycle for this set and 52(7) is canceled to balance the equipment.

If they prefer to lose more time perhaps Amtrak should have left the A line and used the Andrews sub detour after all.
default_mellow.png
That would have chewed up 2 more hours and made for an even later arrival.

At any rate, thank you for your opinion regarding how late you'd like to arrive but I'd still like to read what AmtrakLKL has to say about why this practice seemingly no longer exists. Costs? Lack of buses? Too much travel?
I understand your point, but I think the majority of passengers would rather be a little more late than transferred onto busses. If Amtrak and the host railroads were willing to give up stops to improve OTP, there are other routes across the country they could reroute but do not such as Denver-Salt Lake City and Fargo-Minot. Regardless, I would also be interested to hear what caused the change in policy. I'm certainly not an inside source, but if I had to guess it may have just been a combination of passenger complaints and high costs.

Looks like trains are having issues at NYP, maybe. 19 was 1h45m late leaving. 97 as of right now is estimated 2h30m late.

Management decreed the bus bypass dead several years ago because it is "too expensive." At what point does an 8, 10, 12 hour late train that turns to a late northbound the next day exceed the cost of a bus?

Back