changes at NJT--any thoughts or background info?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I see comments like this:

The changes would also create two new passenger advisory committees, one for North Jersey and one for South Jersey. Assemblyman Greg McGuckin, R-Ocean, said the bill should ensure the committees are not stacked with people from a handful of counties.

“That’s always been a concern of mine, representing my district, the Shore area and our limited access to public transportation. It seems to me each county should have a representative,” McGuckin said.

I think there's going to be trouble. I also believe this is the kind of statement that will lead to more patronage, competing visions and a lack of focus. These issues are not just a NJT problem. It is an industry problem.

I dont like it either; I bet the reps wont be representative of riders imterests, either. This is why I gave up on this stuff.

They have carefully avoided doing the right thing, which is to hive it off as an arm length from the halls of power, semi-private corporation with an independent Board of Directors. Afterall the NJ Legislature does not want to actually have anything work while removing their own patronage engine. It is mostly NJ style BS at present IMHO. Possibly just my exceedingly pessimistic opinion though, based on my exceedingly low opinion of the NJ legislature. Christie is at present a convenient scapegoat while the legislature scrambles to figure out ways to appear as if they are doing something while preserving all of their privileges. Afterall they are the ones that created this mess over the last three decades, with occasional help from particularly stupid Governors.

Governor Murphy just announced he is tripling spending on NJT and infrastructure.

New taxes to pay for it, but seems to be (except for a bit more in sales tax) taxes on stuff like ride shares, home share sites, and legal marijuana--not taxes on essentials for most people. Plus a millionaire's tax.

He'll probably get a fight, but we'll see what happens.

If anyone can link to a news article on this, that would be great--I'm not having much luck linking to things lately.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone can link to a news article on this, that would be great--I'm not having much luck linking to things lately.

Murphy proposes $242M more for NJ Transit. Will it avoid a fare hike?

By Larry Higgs

[email protected],

NJ Advance Media for NJ.comGov. Phil Murphy's proposed $37.4 billion state budget plows $242 million more into NJ Transit, but advocates said it was unclear if it would avoid a possible fare increase.

Added funding for the agency's operations would be in addition to $141 million allocated in the fiscal year 2018 budget for a total of $383 million for NJ Transit operations in fiscal year 2019, according to budget documents released Tuesday.Murphy, a Democrat, announced the funding infusion during his first budget address Tuesday. In it, he echoed earlier pledges to tear down and rebuild the agency he once called a national disgrace."

"To help residents get to school or work, we will restore the funding that New Jersey Transit needs to once again be a reliable and respected service," Murphy said. "This budget will nearly triple funding to NJ Transit, an additional $242 million investment to get the agency back on its feet."
This is a far cry from the budgets of the mid 2000s but it is a start.

Well, some things remain the same. However, I agree with the "you get what you pay for" premise. When you do things on the cheap, it shows. As long as they are held accountable to go along with their pay.

Murphy defends the big raises for NJ Transit executives
https://www.nj.com/politics/2019/08/murphy-defends-the-big-raises-for-nj-transit-executives.html

The governor said the raises were doled out after “a pretty exhaustive audit," which, among other things, recommended cutting some executive positions and giving others fatter paychecks to attract the best people for the jobs.

“Paying the right amount to get the right talent is something that makes sense,” Murphy said at an unrelated event in Murray Hill.

“We have to put the right people in place,” the Democratic governor added. “You need to put the right team on the field.”[/url]

I find the raise for the person in charge of "customer experience" particularly ironic.:rolleyes:

It doesn't say he's getting a raise for giving the customer a "good" experience, though!:eek:

Well, some things remain the same. However, I agree with the "you get what you pay for" premise. When you do things on the cheap, it shows. As long as they are held accountable to go along with their pay.

Murphy defends the big raises for NJ Transit executives
https://www.nj.com/politics/2019/08/murphy-defends-the-big-raises-for-nj-transit-executives.html
Now we just have to see what "right talent" they manage to attract and put in place. So far they have a miserable record at every level of NJT (and incidentally the state transportation bureaucracy, starting with the know nothing Commissioner).

Last edited:
Back