Amtrak Cascades F59PHI's

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't imagine that parts availablilty is an issue for the F59s; their basic design is not unique and they are still in common use by commuter operators. There's no way Amtrak is somehow unable to source or ship parts cross country, we figured out parcel distribution decades ago.

I could contribute with rumors (and probably will with my speculation), but I don't think there is anything officially out there for a plan. Am I correct in that Amtrak owns 21 total F59PHIs?

I can't see them bumping the P32-8s, I see those as having a life similar to the GP38-3Hs. Always around and being able to fill multiple roles on an as needed bases.

Maybe on the Autotrain and Virginia services (maybe even the Cardinal & Capitol Limited) freeing the P40s & P42s to other routes if Amtrak wants to keep them.

If they where sold, I suppose there are many possibilities. If anyone could make use of all 21 of them it would probably be Metra (where they would be the 2nd youngest engines on the roster). I imagine otherwise they would be sold in small groups.

If they where sold, I suppose there are many possibilities. If anyone could make use of all 21 of them it would probably be Metra (where they would be the 2nd youngest engines on the roster). I imagine otherwise they would be sold in small groups.
I guess another possibility would be Metrolink if their F125 purchase turns out to be a failure....

Last edited by a moderator:
you will notice that the F-59PHIs have been kept close to SEA. It may be due to very restricted parts availability. If that is the case once the Chargers are approved for regular Cascades service then if they stay in Amtrak service they will need to be assigned to a base that will acquire all the parts.

That limitation would seem to limit them to Oakland, LAX or CHI. On further thought maybe New Haven as well ? That would cover the Springfield - Vermonter trains and free up the P-42s to cover the overextended LD fleets ? OAK, LAX, or CHI might be just temporary as the Chargers all start covering the SD trips out of those bases.
I suppose they could operate on the Starlight, since they'd hit all the other F59 bases. I seem to recall F59s being restricted off of certain parts of the NEC due to clearance issues (they are as tall as a Superliner). For that reason, I'd imagine they'd stay away from New Haven. Even if they're ok for New Haven, they'd be stuck doing only Springfield/Vermont service, and couldn't even be dragged dead down to NYP or points south (not sure about any clearance issues into Boston).

Last edited by a moderator:
F59PHI are likely to be surplus and unneeded. While there are never enough P42/P40 to breathe easy now, there should be once all the chargers are in service. Don't forget it's not only the F59PHI being freed up it's also many P42 in Chicago hub services being freed up by IDOT Chargers too. F59PHI all have been overhauled in the past few years, so they should be marketable for $.

Does the fact that the F59-PHI has a separate HEP genset make it useful for certain routes or situations where is could provide HEP while a first unit (like a P/4042)

runs traction? It would be available for redundancy or sections where a little extra oomph was needed? Just curious...If the genset can run with the pime mover off or at minimum, it might save fuel.

Seems F59PHI will be turned over to their owning bank, and it would be the bank that handles future disposition.

Seems F59PHI will be turned over to their owning bank, and it would be the bank that handles future disposition.
Were leases ever bought out for all of the P-42's, if I may ask?
I'm pretty sure they're not being bought out. The leases on some of those units should only be around for a little while longer as it is. PRIIA will likely have a lot to do with their disposition since the states would be on the hook for reimbursing Amtrak for their presence.

470 & 461 moved to Raleigh today on 79(2).

There is an extra operating tomorrow with NCDOT equipment to WAS, two NCDOT locos, four NCDOT coaches, and an AMTK leader.

I'm assuming the two cascades units will be staying for awhile in NC? While the others go out for work?
Surfiner and Cascades painted units are on loan while the NCDOT equipment heads West for PTC testing, look for it on a super sized Capital Limited this week.

I'm assuming the two cascades units will be staying for awhile in NC? While the others go out for work?
Surfiner and Cascades painted units are on loan while the NCDOT equipment heads West for PTC testing, look for it on a super sized Capital Limited this week.
Is it known which days it will be on the CL? I'd like to see it and get some pictures of it.

Is it known which days it will be on the CL? I'd like to see it and get some pictures of it.
Today is the day. Three P42s, two F59s, four NCDOT cars all on the head of 29(5).

Where will the PTC testing be done?
jb
Once the equipment reaches Chicago, it will connect to the Southwest Chief.
So Pueblo?

Today is the day. Three P42s, two F59s, four NCDOT cars all on the head of 29(5).
Thanks. If 29 is within an hour of it's scheduled arrival time into Chicago tomorrow , I should be able to see it and get a picture (in which case I'll post the picture on here). Otherwise, I'll see if they are visible from Roosevelt Road while they are in the yard.

Thanks. If 29 is within an hour of it's scheduled arrival time into Chicago tomorrow , I should be able to see it and get a picture (in which case I'll post the picture on here). Otherwise, I'll see if they are visible from Roosevelt Road while they are in the yard.
Next week 49 will have a private car on Tuesday.

Another F59 on 30 tonight. That will make a total of three Amtrak F59s on the East Coast.

Back