Amtrak train with GOP congressional members hits truck (1/31/18)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
We should start a pool on what NTSB will find.
default_tongue.png

Looks like #4 was the rescue loco
4 was the unit on the north end of the train. All they did is cut away from the 145 and return to CVS.

In case anyone is interested, 51(31) and 50(30) are impacted and there is a need for a bus bridge between the two sets.

Was this a special train just for GOP congress people and spouses and staff? If it is the Cardinal some other passengers may not be

getting the attention they deserve. The truck seems to be a tractor trailer loaded with garbage.

CNN doesn't seem to know the difference between the Greenbriar hotel and the town of White Sulphur Springs.

Speaker Ryan and others say they are OK.
What did CNN say about WSS and the Greenbrier???

I live within minutes......around here the two are looked at as one.....the Greenbrier is surrounded by WSS.

Thx

Congress has never been interested in funding any elimination of grade crossings, maybe now they will see why so many keep asking for their elimination.

Fortunately, the train did not derail sending its cars all over, creating a major event with lots of injuries. I read that some on the train reported the crossing gates down and the lights working.

Prayers for everyone and the families of everyone involved, including the first responders.

This image from The Atlantic article linked above pretty clearly shows there are gates. Probably Google's imagery is out of date.

lead_960.jpg

While we are speculating, I wonder if the garbage “trailer” being pulled by the truck’s cab “high-centered” on the crest of the grade crossing and could not be pulled clear by the truck driver as the train approached.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I personally know one of the Congress people and spouse on the train due to a long standing family connection. Fortunately, they are both OK according to tweets.

For a VIP charter train like this, would it make any sense to run an separate engine a mile or two ahead to make sure the track is clear? With the separate lead engine having special signage to let people know the main train was following. Like “You will die if you don’t wait!”.

Just trying to think outside the box a little. I know Amtrak doesn’t have enough engines to do this on all trains, but for special circumstances it might make sense.

Well if it was a potus charter standard protocol in history has been to run one train ahead as an advance with secret service, railroad brass, and probably some press; usually with a track geography car first. Following by the potus train with the president, VIPs, and media. Being followed by a chase train with mostly media and secret service. But for a potus move crossings are closed and better patrolled.

While we are speculating, I wonder if the garbage trailer being pulled by the trucks cab high-centered on the crest of the grade crossing and could not be pulled clear by the truck driver as the train approached.

Zero chance.

The S curve and limited line of sight are clues.

The three people in the cab of the truck is another clue.

Another idea which could work on all the trains. Run a drone ahead of the train to see if the crossing is clear. A drone with a loud horn that could hover over the crossing if it looks like somebody is going to do something stupid.

The drones should be relatively cheap. Infrared for night time work may add to the cost, though.

SWB would have to increase for whoever is piloting the drones, whether from the cab or central office. Should be an offset by reduction in expense for crashed engines and passenger cars. Plus lives saved.

Another idea which could work on all the trains. Run a drone ahead of the train to see if the crossing is clear. A drone with a loud horn that could hover over the crossing if it looks like somebody is going to do something stupid.

The drones should be relatively cheap. Infrared for night time work may add to the cost, though.

SWB would have to increase for whoever is piloting the drones, whether from the cab or central office. Should be an offset by reduction in expense for crashed engines and passenger cars. Plus lives saved.

I'm just trying to picture this. You want run a drone in front of every single train that is operating in the country and have it hover over the grade crossings until the train clears it. You want said drone to be equipped with a horn that is loud enough to be heard over the sound of a locomotive engine that could be accelerating or moving fast with its horn blowing. Once that is over, you want the drone to outrun the train to the next grade crossing and attempt to protect that crossing as well?

Am I reading this correctly?

For a VIP charter train like this, would it make any sense to run an separate engine a mile or two ahead to make sure the track is clear? With the separate lead engine having special signage to let people know the main train was following. Like “You will die if you don’t wait!”. Just trying to think outside the box a little. I know Amtrak doesn’t have enough engines to do this on all trains, but for special circumstances it might make sense.
You're so far outside the box that you're just a tiny blip on the horizon at this point. If this is what you really want then feel free to fund it out of your own wallet. If anything the US Congress needs to have more experiences that match those of regular Americans. Experiences like having your passenger train hit a commercial truck on an at-grade crossing and having to be bused the rest of the way.

The drone provides visibility of the track ahead for obstacles like idiots running the tracks that the engineer won’t see until too late. The horn is just an added bonus.

And today was a PR disaster for Amtrak. Who in their right mind wants to subsidize train service that puts people in danger on a regular basis? There were spouses on the train, not just Congress people.

I told someone on that train how much fun train travel was a couple of years ago. I’m not likely to do that again.

Back