Family bedroom upgrade on #422

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpotisch

Engineer
Hello everybody! As Ive mentioned before Ill be riding TE #422 on 2/18 from Pomona, CA to Chicago. Itll be me and my dad, and were currently booked in an (upper level) roomette.

For $391 we can upgrade to the family bedroom, which could fit our bags and be a lot closer to the bathrooms. Additionally, there would be space to sit (lower kid bunk) if I woke up early and wanted to look out the window while my dad is still sleeping. I do have a $300 e-voucher I could use, but its not like I would never use it otherwise. The bottom bunk is a foot wider in the FB than the roomette, which would let us watch a movie or something (or just sleep better). Plus, the windows on both sides would be nice (even if theyre small).

I know that this is a ton of stuff to consider, so thanks in advance for any help!

That sounds like a great price to upgrade for that length of trip. We love the family bedroom for the two of us. So much more room than the roommette. Honestly, the smaller windows did not bother us at all. We enjoyed being able to spread out.

Tough choice. For a trip that long, the better bed is tempting, but those windows are really a drawback for me.

If you are in a "scenic territory" you can always go to the SSL. The smaller windows only matter if you stay in the room.
I just booked the Family Bedroom. With the voucher, we ended up paying $93. Thanks everyone for your help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Paul and the_traveler!

Another question: will they give us four-people’s-worth of pillows/blankets or just for two people? It would be nice to have the extra (like if I’m cold or just want to chill in the lower mini bunk).

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Last edited by a moderator:
It’s possible there will just be 2. When the SCA comes by to introduce himself/herself, just ask for extras!

Also be aware that your SCA will be with you from LAX to SAS only, then you will have a new SCA from SAS north. Thus if you want to tip you LAX SCA, do so prior to SAS.

It’s possible there will just be 2. When the SCA comes by to introduce himself/herself, just ask for extras!

Also be aware that your SCA will be with you from LAX to SAS only, then you will have a new SCA from SAS north. Thus if you want to tip you LAX SCA, do so prior to SAS.
Got it. Thanks again!

Thanks Paul and the_traveler!

Another question: will they give us four-people’s-worth of pillows/blankets or just for two people? It would be nice to have the extra (like if I’m cold or just want to chill in the lower mini bunk).

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum
When I had the FB all to myself on the Empire Builder, there were four bottles of water, four pillows, and four sets of towels/washcloths! Can't guarantee it, though--not sure if it is the same on all trains. Hope you get them--the extras are nice.
default_smile.png

Back