Viewliner II Part 2: Dining Car Production, Delivery, Speculation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While Amtrak has yet to even issue a RFP for Amfleet replacements (nor is one likely imminent) some rail buffs practically already have the contract awarded to Siemens. For all any of us knows at this point, the contract will eventually go to CAF or Alstom or even Joe's Car Foundry & Bait Shop.
I'm hoping for a Super Steel Schenectady revival!

Just arrived a little while ago in DC on the Crescent (20) after my first experience in a new diner. I’m 90% sure it was Annapolis. Real silverware, cloth napkins and VERY tasty freshly made pancakes. Thought the decor was lovely, and the car rode very well. If I had a real coffee cup it would have been an A+!

IMG_5842.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

The cars seem very nice! It may take CAF forever to make 'em, but they seem to be putting out a good product.

Just arrived a little while ago in DC on the Crescent (20) after my first experience in a new diner. I’m 90% sure it was Annapolis. Real silverware, cloth napkins and VERY tasty freshly made pancakes. Thought the decor was lovely, and the car rode very well. If I had a real coffee cup it would have been an A+!

attachicon.gif
IMG_5842.jpg

Annapolis is car 68001. There will be a nameplate on the wall with that number. It is also the only V-II built in 2016, (which is also written there). If it had shown any of that, you were in Annapolis.

As to the pancakes, I had them a few weeks ago in 68013, and I thought they were great.
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:

attachicon.gif
IMG_5842.jpg

That is awesome. I hope to eat in one of those new diners someday!

Talked to a SCA. The only problem she said was lack of storage. Maybe store some items in the baggage car ?
According to another crew member on SM two weeks ago, another challenge is the grill is considerably smaller than the heritage diners. Thus, especially at breakfast, it can slow down service if you have a lot of pancake/egg/omelette orders....

According to another crew member on SM two weeks ago, another challenge is the grill is considerably smaller than the heritage diners. Thus, especially at breakfast, it can slow down service if you have a lot of pancake/egg/omelette orders....
Is that stuff still cooked to order or are they reheated on the grill?

Cooked to order. My tablemate had egg shell fragments in his eggs....The french toast, I think, is pre made and warmed on grill. Pancakes cooked to order.

I was watching the service at breakfast (first ride in new diners) and was wondering why the Continental orders were appearing much quicker than rest of food and then heard that explanation and it all fit together.

Too bad about the shrunken grill. I wonder how much input actual cooks got with regards to the layout of the kitchen and the size of the various appliances.

Cooked to order. My tablemate had egg shell fragments in his eggs....The french toast, I think, is pre made and warmed on grill. Pancakes cooked to order.

I was watching the service at breakfast (first ride in new diners) and was wondering why the Continental orders were appearing much quicker than rest of food and then heard that explanation and it all fit together.

Then, when they get all the kinks worked out, they discontinue the product!
That's the truth!

For some reason, that reminded me of the old joke about hardware engineers making computers faster and software engineers making computers slower—and the software engineers are winning.

Back