Upgrade from roomette to bedroom

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZiaReba

Train Attendant
Hi - when do you propose is the best time to try and get an (affordable) upgrade from a roomette to a bedroom? I travel on January 6 on the SW Chief. I can call customer service in advance, or is it possible to get an upgrade once on board? Thanks for your advice.

It depends what your origin and destination are. Using AmSnag would be your best bet, but I would try to grab the upgrade sooner rather than later, as the price is likely going to rise.

I have not seen Amtrak lower fares in order to sell unused inventory at the last minute (one week out). There will be no discount offered on-board.

Last edited by a moderator:
At one time, unsold rooms were offered onboard at the lowest bucket (fare), but that is no longer true. Now, they are the current bucket. (In fact, you have to call while on board to reserve one.) thus, there is no incentive to wait.

Using AMSNAG I did see a brief time this summer when Sleeper rates for Roomettes dropped about a week before departure on the CS. They dropped to the level i bought at. Two days or so later they were back up.

There are only two ways I know of to determine how a sleeper price trends during the week prior to some certain fixed date of travel:

• Check it daily using Arrow

• Set up a Fare Watch on AmSnag

Once that's completed there's a tendency, unfortunately, to assume that trend applies to other trains and other travel dates. But there's no reason to believe that - even for the very next travel date on the same train!

As always, YMMV

There are only two ways I know of to determine how a sleeper price trends during the week prior to some certain fixed date of travel:

• Check it daily using Arrow

• Set up a Fare Watch on AmSnag

Once that's completed there's a tendency, unfortunately, to assume that trend applies to other trains and other travel dates. But there's no reason to believe that - even for the very next travel date on the same train!

As always, YMMV
Next month, I'll be riding #422 (LA to CHI) in a roomette. To see close-in upgrade prices, about an hour before yesterday's #422 departure, Arrow was showing the lowest bucket fare for the one remaining bedroom. Since I don't desperately need a bedroom, it makes sense for me to wait 'till it's close in and if there's a bedroom left, snag it cheap.

Basically, if you absolutely need the upgrade, book ahead. If it would be nice but is not a necessity, wait 'till a close in low-bucket.

At one time, unsold rooms were offered onboard at the lowest bucket (fare), but that is no longer true. Now, they are the current bucket. (In fact, you have to call while on board to reserve one.) thus, there is no incentive to wait.
I wasn't aware of this change, but it seems like a stupid decision by Amtrak. If Amtrak hasn't sold the rooms by the time the train leaves, they should consider lowering the price to the bottom bucket. I wonder what the % filled capacity of sleepers are on a route? I can't see most people paying top bucket prices to move from coach.

Is a "Close in" low bucket price lower than the standard low bucket price?

I don’t know what Arrow is!

P.S. last. Checked amtrak wanted an extra $600+ from Lamy to Chicago. Too much for me!

I dont know what Arrow is!

P.S. last. Checked amtrak wanted an extra $600+ from Lamy to Chicago. Too much for me!
Arrow is Amtraks pricing/booking system.
EDIT: Hit post just as Tennessee Traveler responded. Darn

I wasn't aware of this change, but it seems like a stupid decision by Amtrak. If Amtrak hasn't sold the rooms by the time the train leaves, they should consider lowering the price to the bottom bucket.
It wasn't as much of a change as it sounds at first, at least not in a practical sense. Many conductors would simple refuse to sell a sleeper upgrade to coach passengers. At first they'd claim all rooms were sold out without making any calls or checking any paperwork. After you confirmed rooms were still available on your own they'd change their mind and claim the rooms were defective or were needed for non-revs or whatever. It was a never ending list of excuses until the next conductor boarded and started the same process all over again. So, while the policy may have changed the result is largely the same. Conductors didn't want to be bothered with selling tickets and they won that battle.

I dont know what Arrow is!
It's the name for Amtrak's proprietary reservations system that interfaces with the reservations center and the website. Amtrak customers don't have any direct access to ARROW but the term is often used interchangeably with Amtrak.com

P.S. last. Checked amtrak wanted an extra $600+ from Lamy to Chicago.
Sounds about right.

Back