Breakfast Buffet In PPC

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seat38a

Engineer
Reporting from aboard the Coast Starlight. PPC breakfast is now a buffet. Scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon and French toast are setup in the buffet station in the morning. You sit down, fill out your slips and the PPC attendant will bring you plates and beverages. Attendant says this was started this summer.

Traveling south on train 11. Since the lunch and dinner items are double catered in LA, nothing really left.

Reporting from aboard the Coast Starlight. PPC breakfast is now a buffet. Scrambled eggs, potatoes, bacon and French toast are setup in the buffet station in the morning. You sit down, fill out your slips and the PPC attendant will bring you plates and beverages. Attendant says this was started this summer.

Traveling south on train 11. Since the lunch and dinner items are double catered in LA, nothing really left.
Are you saying this is better than what is usually served? I've never even been out west, so I can't comment.

It's better than no PPC breakfast offering, which is what I was offered about this time last year.

Full breakfast menu is also available in the diner.

It's better than no PPC breakfast offering, which is what I was offered about this time last year.

Full breakfast menu is also available in the diner.
The PPC attendant did mention the temp suspension of breakfast in the PPC which I was never aware of. I really liked the buffet setup and not having to make small talk with strangers so early in the morning by going to the diner for more substantial breakfast.

I liked the buffet, which I had in early December on 14.

One word of caution, though. The attendant set out the food around 7:15 and the initial offering of food was not replenished. Everyone who was milling around the PPC when the buffet opened appeared to get their fill, but some subsequent people were told that "the eggs are gone" or "the sausage is now gone" etc.

Since those folks had the option of getting the normal breakfast in the diner, it wasn't as though anyone was being denied the chance to eat. It's just worth noting that if you amble down to the PPC at 8:00 a.m. hoping for the buffet, you will probably miss out.

The buffet in the PPC was ok in my opinion. I preferred the full breakfast in the diner.

Although if you like a simple eggs and potato breakfast, PPC is probably your best bet!

When I was on it this past summer, the PPC attendant stayed behind the bar and:

1. Handed me a plate.

2. Handed me an orange juice.

3. Tapped his tip box and gave me a "hey you" look.

It was later in the morning, and there were just scrapings in the buffet trays. Enough for me, but I wasn't impressed.

This summer, the PPC attendant canceled breakfast because the car was too hot, later the car was closed to everyone. He was concerned about maintaining correct temperatures, but said if didn't mind the car warmth, he would bring the meal to the car as a to go..

This summer, the PPC attendant canceled breakfast because the car was too hot, later the car was closed to everyone. He was concerned about maintaining correct temperatures, but said if didn't mind the car warmth, he would bring the meal to the car as a to go..
Yeah I can see the AC not working correctly. On train 11, while our attendant was washing dishes, the facet came off. I was told the Parlor Cars will be going to their annual winter rest after next week and will only we on Friday departing trains. Hopefully the cars really do get some maintenance attention but I won't hold my breath.

Yeah I can see the AC not working correctly. On train 11, while our attendant was washing dishes, the facet came off. I was told the Parlor Cars will be going to their annual winter rest after next week and will only we on Friday departing trains. Hopefully the cars really do get some maintenance attention but I won't hold my breath.
I think every year we "think" (hope) the PPC's will get some real repair and rehab. Not holding my breath either!

On 11(31) today and we have the SSL substituting for the PPC. I didn't see breakfast offered in the car unless it was only downstairs. Dinner was offered by reservation though the times were limited. I have a dinner reservation in there so I'll see how it works.

Hopefully the scheduled down time later this month there will be something of substance done.

On 11(31) today and we have the SSL substituting for the PPC. I didn't see breakfast offered in the car unless it was only downstairs. Dinner was offered by reservation though the times were limited. I have a dinner reservation in there so I'll see how it works.

Hopefully the scheduled down time later this month there will be something of substance done.
Since the SSL doesn't have a buffet station, that is probably why it wasn't offered.

Speaking of buffet's...didn't the Auto Train also have a buffet....or did that end with the Superliner's replacing the Heritage cars?

The Silvers had a two unit (really, two car) buffet and table car set up for a time, possibly following their removal from the AT.

I am not sure when it was, but I remember them. It may have been in the 70’s or 80’s.

It was not a true buffet, but more like a cafeteria setup. You took a tray, employees put your choices on plates, at the end of the line you paid the cashier and then another employee carried your tray for you to your table.

I am not sure when it was, but I remember them. It may have been in the 70’s or 80’s.

It was not a true buffet, but more like a cafeteria setup. You took a tray, employees put your choices on plates, at the end of the line you paid the cashier and then another employee carried your tray for you to your table.
You are right that is a better description. The Silver service lost their cafeteria service before A/T did as I recall.

Tapped his tip box and gave me a "hey you" look.
It's not even a tip at that point so much as simple panhandling. Kind of insulting to people who actually earn their tips. If he really wants to earn actual tips then he can go work at a full service restaurant or hand-measured cocktail bar where tips flow freely. A two star self service breakfast buffet is not a tipping situation.

Will they serve Dinner upstairs or down? Does the food come from the DC?
All food service in the PPC is on the upper level. The lower level is simply a room with a bunch of theater chairs (movies are no longer shown).

I don't know the answer to the second question.

All food served in the PPC comes from the Diner and is loaded aboard with the stuff for the Diner.

Based on my expierence, the downstairs is closed off when a CCC or Sightseer Lounge substitutes for a PPC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back