Lake Shore Limited 48/448 (26) Skipping Erie

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SubwayNut

Conductor
Im currently on the Lake Shore Limited for a quick trip home from Chicago to South Bend (after flying into OHare from the West Coast).

The crew has announced (and I heard something in Union Station) that were skipping Erie, PA due to its record snowfall. No one can safely come to open/close and access the station.

The train also left Chicago 21 minutes down with me arriving to just confusion in the boarding area (hear no announcements on the loud speaker) at 9:15 when normally I can just walk into the train.

Im sitting in an Amfleet I right now - not the normal Amfleet II the lake shore uses thats nice and empty, there even a few empty cars but the conductor has mentioned huge crowds like 50 people boarding in South Bend, 75 in Cleveland, and 110 in Buffalo boarding down line.

Finally this was an in prom-to Amtrak trip. I bought my ticket low bucket under an hour before departure when my flight was early and I realized I could make the train instead of dealing with the longer and more expensively bus ride.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you wrote that on your phone...did you mean "impromptu"?

I'm not surprised that the train is set to be jammed. Even setting aside the weather (clearly a contributing cause), it's a busy-as-heck travel week. Hope you're able to enjoy the ride.

P.S. Do I still owe you pictures from a trip?

This very short Amtrak adventure ended more bizzarely, the train lost maybe 10 more minutes into South Bend because we arrived on the South Track across from the station which is extremely rare. This requires the station agent to communicate with the crew and give an all clear that everyone's across the pedestrian crossing and ready for broading so the train can enter the station. He told me this as we waited to cross the tracks to the parking lot.

I also found out why we left Chicago late - they decided to exchange an engine at 8:30. The tone of the conductor as he mentioned it wasn't too pleased.

Anderson, I can't think of any pictures we discussed.

Sounds like a switch failure west of South Bend to get them up to track 1. Stopping on track 2 requires the dispatcher's involvement also, since there's an active track between the platform on track 2.

Is there still a lot of snow left on the ground along the LSL route? Will there be by Thursday Night/Friday?
I don’t think Erie will see grass till June.
default_ohmy.png

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

South Bend has two long side platforms so Track 1 isnt actually blocked since as the train is in the station another train could pass. There just isnt a pedestrian tunnel or bridge so all passengers need to be across both tracks before the train can enter on Track 2.

Considering how bad the condition's are at Erie, it's surprising they can even get thru there. I do think it is unfortunate that they decided to skip the stop, even if the station couldn't be opened. There may be some people that would be otherwise stranded, that might be close enough to make there way thru and get to the train, or vice versa. How frustrating it would be to brave the elements, get to the station, and see the train just roll on through without stopping. On the other hand, it could be hazardous for them, and Amtrak just does not want to take any undue risks....

As for the station in South Bend....what a shame that Amtrak couldn't use the beautiful old art deco Union Station....there would not be any crossing of tracks if they were there....

And why would you need to take an "expensive" bus ride.....what about the South Shore, instead?
default_smile.png

This is because the last South Shore (which I take all the time) leaves Chicago at the early hour on weekdays of 7:10pm. Weekends is 9:15pm.

Amtrak is also an hour faster (although I dont trust its timeliness to Chicago)

Erie is in a state of Snow Emergency, so ONLY emergency vehicles and snow removal vehicles are permitted. The city stated that no buses, planes or trains could be used , for all travelers to call to make other arrangements.

This is because the last South Shore (which I take all the time) leaves Chicago at the early hour on weekdays of 7:10pm. Weekends is 9:15pm.

Amtrak is also an hour faster (although I dont trust its timeliness to Chicago)
Oh...I wasn't aware of that. I would have thought they had trains leaving much later than that....

Erie is in a state of Snow Emergency, so ONLY emergency vehicles and snow removal vehicles are permitted. The city stated that no buses, planes or trains could be used , for all travelers to call to make other arrangements.
Okay...I can see that....but....perhaps some people anticipated that with the forecast, and found a place to stay downtown, within walking distance of the station (or live there)....

Whatever happened to the "All Weather Transportation" that used to be a mantra of railroad travel?
default_smile.png

The problem would be walking through five feet of snow from anywhere to the platform with five feet if snow on it. Completely impractical IMHO. Who will take on the liability responsibility?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Is there still a lot of snow left on the ground along the LSL route? Will there be by Thursday Night/Friday?
There's not much snow on the ground at all west of downtown Cleveland. 1", maybe 2" total. As you get east of Cleveland, the amount will increase drastically.

South Bend has two long side platforms so Track 1 isnt actually blocked since as the train is in the station another train could pass. There just isnt a pedestrian tunnel or bridge so all passengers need to be across both tracks before the train can enter on Track 2.
Thanks for that info. Odd that passengers couldn't be on the track 2 platform before the train pulled in.

They were on the platform. We had to wait (moved very slowly, compared to arriving on track 1 in south bend) for the station agent to give the all clear so we could pull onto the platform opposite the station.

Back