Amtrak Stop OK’d, Gets Mixed Reaction (Lake Forest, Illinois)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reppin_the_847

Service Attendant
Amtrak Stop OK’d, Gets Mixed Reaction (Lake Forest, Illinois):

http://jwcdaily.com/2017/12/05/lake-forest-amtrak-stop-approved-gets-mixed-reaction-from-residents/

Looks like that new stop along the Hiawatha line is coming closer to fruition. 3 more round trips between Chicago & Milwaukee may be added as well.

For those that missed it, check out this link:

https://www.cityoflakeforest.com/amtrak-stop-proposal-at-telegraph-road-train-station/

Proposed schedule:

https://www.cityoflakeforest.com/assets/1/7/Proposed_Amtrak_Schedule.pdf

You would need a rocketship to fly that fast currently from Lake Forest to Chicago's Union Station downtown (West Loop). Most Metra trips are considerably longer. Very impressive, 39 minute trip from Lake Forest to Chicago. 1 Hour trip from Lake Forest to Milwaukee. A 45 minute trip from Lake Forest to Milwaukee Airport stop.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also worth noting that there are numerous major corporate employers located near the Lake Forest Amtrak stop (proposed stop). This could benefit employees from Milwaukee, Racine/Kenosha & Chicago tremendously.

This makes Fox Lake-Sturtevant/Milwaukee Airport/Milwaukee trips plausible. Also Antioch-Milwaukee theoretically (though I doubt the scheduling really works).

Next thing needed is reinstatement of Kenosha-Racine-Milwaukee service; unfortunately the current Wisconsin government is sufficiently hostile that it could probably only be done on the municipal level.

This makes Fox Lake-Sturtevant/Milwaukee Airport/Milwaukee trips plausible. Also Antioch-Milwaukee theoretically (though I doubt the scheduling really works).

Next thing needed is reinstatement of Kenosha-Racine-Milwaukee service; unfortunately the current Wisconsin government is sufficiently hostile that it could probably only be done on the municipal level.
Great point. Milwaukee Airport should find a way to market themselves even more to Lake County Illinois residents by touting the Amtrak connection. As an added bonus, it's a much more pleasant experience than the Chicago airports.

Not sure what Antioch has to do with this. The Antioch trains don't come anywhere near the Hiawatha Route, except for the last couple of miles into Union Station (not to mention, they already have a stop right on the edge of O'Hare Airport).

Not sure what Antioch has to do with this. The Antioch trains don't come anywhere near the Hiawatha Route, except for the last couple of miles into Union Station (not to mention, they already have a stop right on the edge of O'Hare Airport).
The North Central trains have a connection at Prairie Crossing to the Milwaukee District North, so with two transfers one could travel from Antioch to Milwaukee via Prairie Crossing and Lake Forest.
Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

The North Central trains have a connection at Prairie Crossing to the Milwaukee District North, so with two transfers one could travel from Antioch to Milwaukee via Prairie Crossing and Lake Forest.
The Prairie Crossing stations are about a three block walk apart; between that and the double transfer one would have to be a real rail enthusiast to consider that routing over driving!

With the addition of the Lake Forest stop, though, it would only take a connection at Des Plaines (very non-trivial given the routing of US14, but still...) to provide service from Milwaukee to O'Hare Transfer and on to Union Station.

What's all this talk of a "third rail"? When will the alternative study of catenary occur? :p
I bristled at every mention of a "third rail" in that story as well. I don't expect everyone to use the correct terminology in every situation, but really? Couldn't go with third track or third set of rails? Nah, let's just keep saying "third rail" as if we're talking about CTA 'L' lines or something.

What's all this talk of a "third rail"? When will the alternative study of catenary occur? :p
I bristled at every mention of a "third rail" in that story as well. I don't expect everyone to use the correct terminology in every situation, but really? Couldn't go with third track or third set of rails? Nah, let's just keep saying "third rail" as if we're talking about CTA 'L' lines or something.
Or, simply, "passing siding"?

But, with a name of North Shore and avatar of an Electroliner, it did get me awfully excited!

I'd be disappointed by this. Not only because it would take away a more convenient north suburban station closer to the city, which serves my own interests better than a Lake County station. Nor because I like getting ice cream at the place by the Glenview station. But, moreover, because Glenview offers connections with Pace, that I think are of worth. If anything, I'd like to see an additional transit connection to the Hiawatha at Steurtevant to serve Racine, also.

I'd be disappointed by this. Not only because it would take away a more convenient north suburban station closer to the city, which serves my own interests better than a Lake County station. Nor because I like getting ice cream at the place by the Glenview station. But, moreover, because Glenview offers connections with Pace, that I think are of worth. If anything, I'd like to see an additional transit connection to the Hiawatha at Steurtevant to serve Racine, also.
Yeah I think I agree. I don't think I'd mind keeping a Glenview stop available on this route either. We'll see what they ultimately decide. I've lived in the Cook County suburbs near Glenview & the Lake County suburbs near Lake Forest so I understand the appeal in both areas for sure!

What's the most amount of time the train could lose by the addition of a stop? 3-4 minutes?

If it's overdone, by too many additions, that could be problematic. But I just don't see how one extra stop (especially with no real additional costs) is not a plus rather than a minus here, considering additional potential ridership and revenue.

What's the most amount of time the train could lose by the addition of a stop? 3-4 minutes?

If it's overdone, by too many additions, that could be problematic. But I just don't see how one extra stop (especially with no real additional costs) is not a plus rather than a minus here, considering additional potential ridership and revenue.
Yep, and I look at Glenview as a pretty reasonable Uber or Lyft ride east to key areas such as Evanston or west to O'Hare Airport too.

The proposed schedule shows most trains having 4 minutes added to the schedules, going from 1:29 to 1:33.

I agree, adding Lake Forest, rather than substituting Lake Forest for Glenview, seems perfectly reasonable to me. I wouldn't want to lard up the schedule with all that many additional stops, but adding a stop in Lake County (at Lake Forest) and perhaps another in Kenosha County in the future isn't unreasonable. And if we're concerned with running times, those could be reduced by making sure future equipment offers near-level all-doors boarding.

I bet a decent amount of Cubbie fans will ride from Lake Forest to Milwaukee in the summer when the Cubs are at Miller Park playing the Brewers heheh.

Back