Derailment of Cascades #501, DuPont WA, 2017-12-18

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A early photo show several tents set up. Each color is a triage level. The colors show transportation order and severe of injuries. Red is 1st or Immediate, Yellow is 2nd or Delayed, Green is 3rd or Minor, Black is last to transport or Deceased/Expected.

I saw what I believed used to be one on the right.

1218171058_hdr.jpg
Who took that photo?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tragic event. Hope that all those hurt recover soon. I just wonder if the theory that something on the tracks caused the derailment is valid
I wish that all Amtrak engines came with a forward facing digital camera, that recorded on a loop, the last 5 minutes of travel, or something like that. That way there'd be video of most collisions.

Tragic event. Hope that all those hurt recover soon. I just wonder if the theory that something on the tracks caused the derailment is valid
I wish that all Amtrak engines came with a forward facing digital camera, that recorded on a loop, the last 5 minutes of travel, or something like that. That way there'd be video of most collisions.
they do... it probably hasn’t been pulled yet, and we likely won’t see it until all legal battles from this incident are done and the evidence is made public.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

I'm thinking the size of these Talgo cars make them poor energy dissipators, and, that the small length enabled that one upside down car on the road, coming squarely to rest in the worst place: a zone where the remaining cars would come down on top of it.

The media seems to be ignoring that report and focising on the the speed limit change from 79 to 30 in 1/4 mile.
The media is a remarkably poor source of reliable information anymore. Not saying there was or was not an object struck (clearly, there was once off the ROW), but when you have a commentator (CNN) referring to the rear P-42 (which appears to have held the rails) as the "front" of the train, you have reason to be suspect of everything else they report.

Are the other Amtrak trains being diverted back to the original trackage around port defiance?

The media is a remarkably poor source of reliable information anymore. Not saying there was or was not an object struck (clearly, there was once off the ROW), but when you have a commentator (CNN) referring to the rear P-42 (which appears to have held the rails) as the "front" of the train, you have reason to be suspect of everything else they report.
QFT.
The media is a remarkably poor source of reliable information anymore.

Are the other Amtrak trains being diverted back to the original trackage around port defiance?
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amtrak-guest-rewards/1882781-pnw-routes-losing-scenic-stretch-after-dec-17th.htmlsays yes.

Besides multiple media outlets calling the Cascade a "high-speed train", one of the nightly national news programs this evening referred to it as a "commuter train".
I have a friend who works in production on CBS Evening News. I told him to tell the powers that be to quit referring to it as a "high-speed train." We'll see if it has any effect...

Back