Extremely loud, long announcements on Capitol Corridor!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The vast majority of intercom/PA systems on the various passenger railroads generally have an internal settings. They can not be adjusted in the field which is why I made the statement below: If the system is too loud, too soft, over modulating, buzzing or not working, a technician will address it.
I don't doubt or dispute you. I just find it borderline nuts that someone actually designed it that way intentionally. To be fair 1970/1980's aircraft PA's are pretty bad as well, but at least they were typically used less than Amtrak's PA's and are being replaced by more modern systems with better controls today. Speaking of which, are the "new" Viewliners coming with operator adjustable controls or are they the same PA design as the original 1980's order?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are in the sleeper shouldnt all these announcements be part of the SCA greeting and explanation of how the room works shortly after you board as well as advising of your stop and helping with luggage, if needed?

We've heard all that before with the addition of another sentence on the CZ shortly after it left CHI, that advised "and I must remind that smoking is strictly prohibited on this train. If I catch anyone smoking, you will not receive a warning. You WILL be put off the train at the next stop" . It seems to me that passengers continue to break rules and that these forceful warnings are necessary.

Some years back, I was traveling on the TE in the summer. They made **many** announcements about not walking barefoot (violates health law if you go into a food car, not to mention, you could lose a toe in the "pinch points").

They obviously had people who didn't believe it because they made it multiple times....and between stations so everyone on board had heard it at least once.

I was eating in the diner and was seated with a man and his 11-ish year old daughter. When the PA roared into life again, she remarked, "They sure to make that announcement a lot."

"That's because people don't listen the first time" I remarked.

Both she and her dad laughed.

(I am a college prof, so "because people don't listen the first time" is often a part of my life....I will just get done going over when the next exam is and what it will cover, and there will be SOMEONE going "you never told us what day the exam is on!" I once had someone claim "you never told us that!" about some class policy - they were a problem person - and at least two other people in the class turned around and said to them "YES SHE DID")

Some years back, I was traveling on the TE in the summer. They made **many** announcements about not walking barefoot (violates health law if you go into a food car, not to mention, you could lose a toe in the "pinch points"). They obviously had people who didn't believe it because they made it multiple times....and between stations so everyone on board had heard it at least once. I was eating in the diner and was seated with a man and his 11-ish year old daughter. When the PA roared into life again, she remarked, "They sure to make that announcement a lot." "That's because people don't listen the first time" I remarked. Both she and her dad laughed.
I've heard Amtrak's safety announcements a few thousand times at this point and in my experience it has rarely if ever been about walking barefoot in the diner. It has almost always been about walking without shoes anywhere on the train. Which probably sounds great to a smug professor, until he stops to consider that 99% of the casual shoes on board wouldn't do much of anything to protect your toes if they were stuck in an actual pinch point.

Personally I think the main issue with wearing shoes on Amtrak revolves around the fact that the bathrooms are allowed to slide into lord of the flies conditions, so if you were to wear socks in there you'd track even more human waste into the rest of the car. But admitting that Amtrak doesn't care enough to actually clean the bathrooms doesn't sound nearly as "helpful" as warning people to remember their shoes, so that's the direction they went.

Speaking of which, I recently flew on new airline (EVA) and they had the most amazing PA announcements ever. Not a single announcement was too loud or shrill or otherwise annoying and none of them droned on endlessly about avoiding harm via stupidity. It was heaven for my ears and made it much easier to relax and sleep. I cannot say with any certainty whether anyone injured themselves by doing something moronic, but if they did at least I didn't have to hear about it.

Back