Coast Starlight and Northern CA fires

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmjhagen9426

OBS Chief
According to Cal Fire and Caltrans, the Bridge Fire, which started shortly before noon, has closed I-5 in either directions.

Source: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/5655/

By looking at the map, the incident site appears to be only a few miles east of the Union Pacific mainline.

Also, there are about a dozen Modis hotspots in Northern CA between Sacramento and Chico, and a few just south of Mt. Hebron (Erickson, CA to be exact), which also are within a few miles from the UP trackage. Is that too close to possibly affect the CS operations, if the Bridge Fire was able to force a closure on the I-5? I am planning to ride the CS next weekend, so this raised some yellow flags on me. CS passengers may not get the bus downgrade either since the I-5 is closed.

More generally, did this year's horrific NCal fires affect Amtrak at all? (If this should be a separate thread, mods please fix it? Thanks.)

More generally, did this year's horrific NCal fires affect Amtrak at all? (If this should be a separate thread, mods please fix it? Thanks.)
It might not have, but it did in years past. Last year, it was affected by the Metz Fire, and in 2014, it was affected by Mt Hebron Fire. So I think it was worth starting this thread, but I understand that SoCal fires may or may not affect the CS.

The wine country fires last month had no impact on Amtrak.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Back