Amtrak changed room and car number (EB and CZ)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldCond

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Today I received a call from Amtrak regarding a reservation I made a month ago for a trip three weeks from now on the EB. The message on voice mail said I was being changed from Superliner bedroom to family bedroom and to call if I had any questions. I called back and was told there was a problem with my room and it was being taken out of service and the only room available was the family bedroom.

I didn't think to ask at the time why it wouldn't be repaired within the next three weeks. I'll be traveling by myself so I don't really want that large room with small windows and no plumbing. Oh well. Amazing that they know that three weeks from now that bedroom will still be out of service. Does this happen very often? This past June I was downgraded from bedroom to coach on the LSL but was notified about six hours before boarding. I assume they had just found the problem (no air conditioning) and were contacting those of us that were to be in that car.

I think GML has the right answer - that they are removing a sleeper. Otherwise, I’d understand if it was today’s or tomorrow’s train. They could put on another sleeper from the yard when making up the train. If it was like the PPC, there are no other cars, but a sleeper in 3 weeks, ?????

In answer to west point's question, I was to be on Train No. 8, departing SEA on Nov 15, 2017, car 0831, room E. I was reassigned to car 0830, room 015. The point is moot now as I called Amtrak and cancelled my reservation. I'll probably rebook for next March or April. Hopefully they'll have their equipment issues resolved by then and there will be more daylight to enjoy the scenery anyway. Maybe I'll even be able to talk the wife into joining me next time!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like they are switching to their winter consist. I traveled on the Empire Builder from Seattle to Chicago in January a few years ago and had my room changed as well. I was in a roomette in the 0831 car and was switched to a roomette in the trans-dorm because there was only one regular sleeper on the Seattle section instead of 2. I had booked my ticket about 6 months ahead of time in mid-July and was notified of the room and car number change in late-October.

A few years back we were assigned a roomet on the SL from SAS , when we went to board our name was not on the consist for that car,we had been moved to the transition car wit out any notification.

Sent from my iPad using Amtrak Forum

A few years back we were assigned a roomet on the SL from SAS , when we went to board our name was not on the consist for that car,we had been moved to the transition car wit out any notification.

That may have been a case of a bad ordered sleeper.

Not so,I complained to Amtrak,and was told some one high made the change,and was given a free travel voucher equal to the amount from SAS to NOL.

Now that Mica is retired, he and his retinue are traveling a lot more. Amtrak was just showing their appreciation to him for his past support.
default_mosking.gif

Not so,I complained to Amtrak,and was told some one high made the change,and was given a free travel voucher equal to the amount from SAS to NOL.

That doesn’t actually mean that it wasn’t a bad ordered sleeper.
I am scheduled to take Train 8 (eastbound EB) next week. I had my bedroom changed to A, my least favorite, in another car, so I called Amtrak. I was told that the change was made because of a bad ordered car. Although I was suspicious that they were reducing the consist for the season, it really doesn't matter. At least I'm still in a bedroom.

First time for me, but today Amtrak arbitrarily changed both of mid December trips roomette assignment from roomette 003 Car 532/632 to roomettes 9 car 531 and roomette 10 car 631. Apparently, they are for the time being eliminating all but one sleeper. I called AGR and my very helpful agent did quite a bit of checking since she was also curious what was going on. Currently for those dates I am traveling no car x32 is available for room assignments. Only rooms remaining unbooked are in the transition sleeper. I am not happy but decided to stay with the roomettes 9 and 10 since the sleeper seems to still be the last car on the train separated from the transition sleeper by the coach cars and sightseer lounge from the dining car. Agent did suggest I call back weekly to see in anything opened up other than end of car roomettes 9 and 10.

Anyone else get caught in this arbitrary decision by Amtrak?

MODERATOR NOTE: This thread was merged with a thread on a similar topic. Original topic related to Empire Builder and new topic relates to California Zephyr. The title was edited to reflect both trains.

Last edited by a moderator:
And now to add insult to injury, Amtrak has moved me a second time now to Room 18 in the 640 transition car returning Reno to Chicago in December. AGR agent when I called suggested I call Customer Relations tomorrow morning and he did put a note on my reservation record to stop changing my roomette assignment.

Back