C Z consist

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slither

Train Attendant
Is the CZ consist still traveling in the summer line-up ? Thanks for the info in advance..

The summer consist is three sleepers, but yes, that is how the Zephyr is running now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the general seasons of the two basic consists for the California Zephyr

Season - Sleepers on the rear - Approximately Memorial Day in May to after holiday travel in mid January

Season - Coaches on the rear - After holiday travel in Mid January to approximately Memorial Day in May

That's not an absolute science because they experimented with a "reduced Winter consist" in January 2015 in which they ran engine, baggage, SSL, coaches, dining car, sleeper without a crew transition car and only 2 coaches and 2 sleepers. Apparently was not successful since this has not been repeated. Only way to be sure of any consist is to "Ride".

Why the seasonal switch on this route and not others? The AU search engine returns a Google error but using Google search I get the following: In summer there's often demand for an additional sleeper, in winter there's often demand for an extra coach (Donner snow so people don't want to drive). Is that still the best guess as to the logic?

Why the seasonal switch on this route and not others? The AU search engine returns a Google error but using Google search I get the following: In summer there's often demand for an additional sleeper, in winter there's often demand for an extra coach (Donner snow so people don't want to drive). Is that still the best guess as to the logic?
I think Google answered a different question from the one you asked. It talked about the number of sleepers and coaches, and a rationale. But the seasonal switch usually refers to whether the sleepers are up front or bring up the rear.

Back