Name That Station!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1494163572.783383.jpg

Should be easy.
Raton

This photo was taken by me from inside of a train.
The presence of a catenary post puts it on somewhere on the NEC. Subtracting the mileage on the catenary post from the Boston-NYC mileage puts this station at Kingston, RI.
Yes, I took that picture on the morning of March 12th this year on Northeast Regional 66. This was just after the first of a few major March snowfalls in the Northeast and on the coldest day of the month. When I boarded in Washington, the temperature was near freezing. Snow cover began around Wilmington, and by the time I reached Boston in the morning it was 9 degrees with a wind chill well below zero. Interestingly, I rode the Lake Shore Limited and Maple Leaf back to New York that night, and there wasn't even an inch of snow from around Worcester to Poughkeepsie, which is where I was expecting it. Another note is that this was the night of the time change, so we left New York significantly late but still managed to arrive in Boston about 15 minutes early.
Sent from my SM-J327P using Amtrak Forum mobile app

I can see "MTZ" in the railing, but that's not this station!
Your gathering report confirmed what I thought - Mt Vernon, WA.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

That's correct! I had also previously mentioned this station in a post in a thread on stations near brew pubs, as the Skagit River Brewery is right across the track.
Nice head fake with the Superliners. Ordinarily they wouldn't be serving Mt. Vernon, but every so often (including right now) the 510/517 pair gets the Talgos replaced by Superliners.

Are historic stations allowed? If any of you old timers ever rode the Dixie Flyer you might remember this one.

Meyer-521001.jpg

Could that be Nashville? Wait, on second thought perhaps Evansville?
We have a winner! Yes, Evansville L&N depot. Designed by Richard Montfort who also designed the Nashville station. This station was razed in 1985 by some very short sighted people despite opposition from many citizens.

waiting.jpg

Here is another, name this station.............

The picture is of the waiting room, between trains.

I have another pic that would be a give away, I'llpost that after the winning answer.

Back