Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E) (2015 - 1Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Amtrak has been known for striking hard bargains recently. I would expect that Amtrak is delaying the agreement with Washington State by bargaining. Washington is not in a hurry until later this year: as noted previously, they only need the locos when the Tacoma Trestle is finished (a project for which they have been unable to give a date -- any news from locals?)
Rumors are saying December.

Thanks for the rumor, Charlie.

I've been thinking of figuring out how to schedule a trip to the PacNW where I take the old route one way and the new route the other way. Not trivial when the date of changeover hasn't been announced!

It's looking like I definitely won't make it to the Gathering; I'll be busy overseeing house construction at the time, and I don't want to go away during that (in case the builders use substandard materials and bury it in the walls while I'm gone).

If all goes according to plan, a few more Chargers will enter revenue service and lead on another midwest route. If you know the character below, you'll know where to find them tomorrow. :)

QuincyME_JackKlugman.JPG

If all goes according to plan, a few more Chargers will enter revenue service and lead on another midwest route. If you know the character below, you'll know where to find them tomorrow. :)

QuincyME_JackKlugman.JPG
Wait.

So they finally started a route that goes to (Oscar) Madison? Did Scott Walker finally give in? Exciting times. :giggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
You could also make an argument for Los Angeles since that is where the show was based. God I miss Jack Klugman. The entertainers of today are pale in comparison.

Sounder has announced 2 more Round trips to Lakewood starting late September. That seems to indicate the only hold up for the bypass route for Amtrak is the Freight house station ?

Quincy. Carl sanburg or illinois zephyr.
The Quincy newspaper lifted a short article from somewhere regarding the new engines, saying they would be used for trains between Chicago and Wisconsin (Hiawathas) and Missouri (Lincoln Service). No mention of Quincy or Carbindale, although it did say there would be another batch coming out in December.

It also touted their higher reliability (I would hope so) and speed, enabling reduced trip times (possibly confusing the engine speed with infrastructure improvement between Chicago and St. Louis).

Sounder has announced 2 more Round trips to Lakewood starting late September. That seems to indicate the only hold up for the bypass route for Amtrak is the Freight house station ?
No it’s the trestle.Coast Starlight can’t serve Tacoma Dome Station (Freighthouse Square) without double spotting until the trestle is finished. (The platform might also be too short for Cascades, but I’m not 100% sure.)

No it’s the trestle.Coast Starlight can’t serve Tacoma Dome Station (Freighthouse Square) without double spotting until the trestle is finished. (The platform might also be too short for Cascades, but I’m not 100% sure.)
In addition, the existing single-tracking is apparently good enough for the Sounder schedule, but not for the Sounder schedule + the Amtrak schedule, particularly with the Coast Starlight possibly arriving late. The second platform will let Cascades or Sounder get around an out-of-slot Coast Starlight which is doing its work at Tacoma...

Another pair of Chargers was released yesterday. This video by MobileRailSpotterRxR shows IDTX 4628 and IDTX 4629 in Sacramento. Two Amtrak California Dash 8s were the power this time.

Charger 4620 was the solo locomotive leading the 8:30am Chicago to Hiawatha train today with cabbage 90221 on the other end of the coaches.

Another pair of Chargers was released yesterday. This video by MobileRailSpotterRxR shows IDTX 4628 and IDTX 4629 in Sacramento. Two Amtrak California Dash 8s were the power this time.
I loved those vehicles going through while the lights were flashing! Should send that on to the local police.

Charger 4620 was the solo locomotive leading the 8:30am Chicago to Hiawatha train today with cabbage 90221 on the other end of the coaches.
I rode that consist on Sunday. The charger made quite a bit of noise/vibration in the station before departure from CHI, but once on the move I barely heard a thing.

Here's a video of the Hiawatha train set with IDTX 4620 leading and cabbage 90221 on the end taken by NorthbrookRailfannerProductions on Monday.

Hi,

Charger 4620 was the solo locomotive leading one of the Chicago to Hiawatha train on Monday Sept. 18th with cabbage 90221 on the other end of the coaches. A P42 was in charge of the other Hiawatha train. The Charge was noticeably quieter when it passed by compared to the P42, F40ph and the CP freight with GE locos (lol)!!!!

Wonder how long the P-42s will be kept as standby power at CHI and California.? It may be Amtrak will dispatch the most reliable onto LD trains now and hope for the best on the SD trips ? Of course some wired for the various PTCs will need to stay around ?

Hi,

P42 no. 53 leading (with Charger 4619 in the trailing position) brought a northbound 5-car Lincoln Service train into Chicago today Sept. 19th. 4620 was again operating solo on a Hiawatha train along with cabbage 90221.

Thanks for the help. Here are a few photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back