Connection Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all,

I'm an avid rail raider since I was a little boy, having traveled all over the united States by train since then. Now that I have my own family we finally embarked on a train trip like I used to go on when I was growing up.

So my question regards a connection that I am a little worried about tonight.

I am currently in Saint Louis, heading to Chicago and then back home to Buffalo.

Our train leaves from St Louis at 3pm, scheduled to reach Chicago at 8:40pm and the LSL leaves Chicago at 9:30PM. I have two kids and this was the only time that really made sense as the other trains left at 6:30am.

It appears the train is mostly on time, but as always, nothing is guaranteed. I'm not sure if this would be considered a "guaranteed connection" if I miss it...does anyone know how Amtrak would handle this if in fact I miss the connection?

How was it booked....as an offered connection, or separately? The guaranteed connection I know about is usually TE to LSL which is scheduled to leave STL at 7:55 AM, I'm using it to connect to the LSL in November, but I'm originating in Dallas.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think in order to purchase this you would have to purchase two separate tickets (STL-CHI, CHI-BUF), as the only option Amtrak offers for this route is the 22 to 48.

You can purchase what you listed above, and you probably have a 90% chance of making the connection. However, if it is one of those days where the train is an hour late, not only will Amtrak not guarantee the connection, but they would have no obligation to put you on the LSL limited the next day if you were late and you could end up being out the purchase price of your CHI-BUF ticket and stuck in Chicago.

As much as the timing doesn't work great, you would be better of taking the Texas Eagle and getting into Chicago around 2:00 pm, the boarding the LSL at 9:30.

I Agree/Book The Texas Eagle to CHI.

If the #322 Coach is offered, it (Usually) is Lower Bucket than #22 or #422, ( Tri-Weekly) but take the Lowest Fare, they're all One Train with Separate Coaches.

Thanks all...we made it with plenty of time to spare although it seemed dicey for a while...Were on time or early up to just before Bloomington-Normal and then we ended up having to wait quite some time for a southbound freighter which put us about 20 minutes late...luckily we made up about 10 minutes by the time we ht Summit,IL and then actually got into Chicago 20 minutess early.

Made the connection with plenty of time and even had time to check our bags, grab a quick ice cream for desert and hit the station restrooms...

They actually boarded super early, we were in our seats by 8:55pm for a 9:30pm departure...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back