Breakfast. How do you screw up breakfast?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because the potato quality can vary, I am going to be very, very brave on my way out west and try the grits (if they have them--or is that just the southern trains?). I looked them up and realize now they are made of corn--I always thought they were like cream of wheat, because they look awful.
I was introduced to grits as a nine-year-old kid and still order them occasionally. They are very much like Cream of Wheat, without much flavor of their own...but if you add a little salt and butter, and I also prefer sugar and, on occasion, milk, they're not bad.

How do you screw up breakfast?
Ask my mother. You wanna talk about crimes against eggs... *shudder*
For many years, I thought I hated eggs. It turns out it's because I'd never had them cooked the way I like them.

My father likes runny eggs, so every time my mother made scrambled eggs, they were barely cooked. She also made fried eggs over-easy. I'd dip my toast in the yolk and then choke down the rest (there was no "I'm not eating this" in our house).

When I was in college, a friend ordered eggs "over-medium". I asked, "Isn't it called "over-easy"?" and he explained it's like ordering a steak a certain way. I'd always thought "over-easy" was a nickname for "flipped eggs", not an indication to barely cook them. Anyway, I tried his eggs, and by god... firm whites with a dipping yolk... YUM.

Now I eat eggs all the time. :D I LOVE eggs. (As long as they aren't runny.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I still hate grits, though. I think it's a texture thing because I've had them all sorts of ways. <_<

Eggs are awesome when cooked correctly and they seem to be a major part of most cultural cuisines. Which is kind of impressive to me. As for grits I'm convinced they're nothing more than an unavoidable byproduct of something else. What that something else might be I have no idea, but hopefully it tastes better than grits.

Eggs are awesome when cooked correctly and they seem to be a major part of most cultural cuisines.
I get irrationally upset when a Chinese restaurant doesn't put scrambled egg shrapnel in my fried rice.

Back to southern food: I like that a lot of southern families consider mac & cheese a side dish much the same way other people would serve potatoes or veggies. I'll never forget my first couple of holidays with my ex's family. His mother is from Kentucky, and by god, we had mac & cheese with Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. I was SO EXCITED.

Because the potato quality can vary, I am going to be very, very brave on my way out west and try the grits (if they have them--or is that just the southern trains?). I looked them up and realize now they are made of corn--I always thought they were like cream of wheat, because they look awful.
Grits by themselves have no taste Patty. I like to put Butter and/or Syrup and some Black Pepper on them, aka "Southern Style."
All Diners should have then since Amtrak has adopted the (highly disliked by some of us) National Menu..

Now that Amtrak has the Breakfast Bowl I'd like to try it if it's still available in the Diner when I ride the Sunset/Eagle on the way to the Gathering in Sept.
Grits with cheddar cheese are the best!

Eggs are awesome when cooked correctly and they seem to be a major part of most cultural cuisines. Which is kind of impressive to me. As for grits I'm convinced they're nothing more than an unavoidable byproduct of something else. What that something else might be I have no idea, but hopefully it tastes better than grits.
Believe it or not, not only are grits NOT a byproduct, there are heirloom varieties of corn specifically developed for grinding into grits. Cooked, they actually taste like corn, rather than the cardboard-like quality of most supermarket grits.

My husband is fond of grits cooked with garlic, served with salt, pepper, hot sauce, and butter. Cheddar or jack cheese optional.

Overall the breakfast meal has usually been very good, save for one order of soggy railroad french toast on the EB and a "rubberized" Omelet on the Cardinal. That year we ordered the Omelet on the Cardinal and it was terrible. The following year we had another Cardinal trip and we were hesitant to try the Omelet again but John, (the server/food service attendant) recommended it, and said it was good. We tried it again and this time the omelet was moist, tender, tasty and very good. John did well with what little he had to work with. I guess it all comes down to the skill of the chef or the person who is preparing and warming the food.

After reading all about grits, I have decided that I am being brave enough to go all the way across the country, and there is no need to be even braver and try the grits. They lost their chance when they were compared to cream of wheat, which I remember having to eat when I was a child (like Sarah, no turning down what was offered) and had to add about half a jar of grape jelly to before I could choke any of it down.

Besides, I just looked at the national menu, and there is nothing on there for lunch that appeals to me, so I will have the three-egg omelet and potatoes the first morning on the EB to tide me over til dinner, and the second morning eat whatever is given to me in a box.

Patty: don't overlook the New Salad ( Chicken optional) for Lunch. And actually the Black Bean Veggie Burger isn't bad, especially when you add Cheese and Bacon which we call a "Cheater Burger!"

You could always go to "Whole Paycheck" (or other joints) during the layover in Chicago, and stock up on healthy snacks and drinks. PM Penny for tips, she's the Pro in this are!

I'm pretty pumped about the lunch salad. I'm usually still kind of full from breakfast but not so full that I can wait until dinner, so having a light meal option instead of the usual platters is wonderful.

That sounds horrible. I have generally had good breakfasts on Amtrak. Tend to choose the Continental (yoghurt and müesli, juice, lots of coffee) as I'm used to that, but the French Toast (classic railroad food) is good as well. By the way, the food on VIA Rail Canada is much better, in my opinion.

I'm pretty pumped about the lunch salad. I'm usually still kind of full from breakfast but not so full that I can wait until dinner, so having a light meal option instead of the usual platters is wonderful.
yeah that burger for lunch can be a gut crusher

By the way, the food on VIA Rail Canada is much better, in my opinion.

Do you mean on the one train that offers a full service diner, or all of VIA?

yeah that burger for lunch can be a gut crusher
Even the turkey meatballs, while delicious, are pretty heavy in the stomach. They are HUGE.

That sounds horrible. I have generally had good breakfasts on Amtrak. Tend to choose the Continental (yoghurt and müesli, juice, lots of coffee) as I'm used to that, but the French Toast (classic railroad food) is good as well. By the way, the food on VIA Rail Canada is much better, in my opinion.
Muesli? They have muesli? I just looked at Amtrak Food Facts, and it says they have Kellogg's brand cold cereals. I usually get the hot oatmeal.

Muesli? They have muesli? I just looked at Amtrak Food Facts, and it says they have Kellogg's brand cold cereals. I usually get the hot oatmeal.
Hot oatmeal. That might work, especially if I bring along maple syrup instead of whatever the other stuff is. Late August trip after a too long absence from the rails.

Sorry, I meant oatmeal, which comes closest to my müesli.

@Crescent-Zephyr: I loved the food on all three of them, the Ocean (I was in Sleeper Plus), the Corridor train (I was in Business Class), and the Canadian (I was in Sleeper Plus). Better food than Amtrak, and three courses lunch and dinner (soup or sallad; entrée; cake or ice cream).

i need to get back up there and ride more of VIA.

I've only ridden the Canadian and have heard the Ocean is all catered food with limited options... But I haven't ridden so I can't judge for myself.

Was the corridor business class better than Acela first class meal? (I think that's the only comparable service.)

Back