Chicago Metropolitan Lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm leaving CHI on the SWC 3 this Friday (7/14) heading to LAX. I'll be dropped off at the station with a few hours to kill before boarding. I am riding Coach all the way to LAX.

Somewhere on this Forum I read I can purchase a pass to the Metropolitan Lounge & hang out there rather than the Waiting Area. Do I have to do this in advance? How much is it these days?

What might be the advantages to using the Metropolitan Lounge before boarding?

Thanks!

Frank

Is that a different lounge or do I have the name wrong?
Two different lounges. I do not know the answer regarding day passes in the Metropolitan Lounge. If I had to pay to wait in a lounge, I would choose the Legacy Lounge, which is very nice and not as crowded as the Metropolitan Lounge. Legacy Lounge has a "happy hour" with complimentary beverages.

Is that a different lounge or do I have the name wrong?
Two different lounges. I do not know the answer regarding day passes in the Metropolitan Lounge. If I had to pay to wait in a lounge, I would choose the Legacy Lounge, which is very nice and not as crowded as the Metropolitan Lounge. Legacy Lounge has a "happy hour" with complimentary beverages.
One of the reasons I'm willing to pay (beyond the "happy hour" :) is getting the earliest boarding call I can as I'm picking my seat for the duration from the get-go. I am ticketed as a "Senior" but I read a post saying they made the first call in one of the lounges. Is that generally the case?

They board the sleepers early from the Metropolitan Lounge. I assume, but do not know, if coach boarding occurs at the same time. I also do not know if the Legacy Lounge boards coach passengers at the same time. I have heard it is early, but do not know logistics.

Hopefully, someone who has early boarded from coach will chime in.

Thanks Admin! Great info!

Hopefully someone with recent "local knowledge" will give me some more details about both the Metropolitan & Legacy lounges.

Take care,

Frank

I've been to both since each opened. The Met Lounge is certainly a nice space but I prefer the Legacy Lounge. It has a more laid back feel to it and in my limited interaction the staff came across a lot more friendly. I think because it is a lounge that has a lot of regulars, there are Metra commuters that have monthly or annual passes who hang out there before heading home to the 'burbs. The times I've been in there I've had nice chats with the attendants who work in there. In the Met Lounge my only interaction has been them checking me in.

Happy hours are nice, I think they let you have up to four free drinks, so that $20 pays for itself just about if you're there during happy hour (twice a day).

I think I took a sandwich in there with me one time and nobody told me I couldn't, but I don't remember if they have an official policy. The Met Lounge has a no outside food policy that annoys me. And their snack offerings were not to my liking.

The priority boarding is nice too, for me it is also worth the 20 bucks.

Also, since you are a coach passenger the day pass for the Metropolitan Lounge is $50.

Amtrak says here that a day pass to the Chicago Metropolitan Lounge is $50 and to the Chicago Legacy Club is $20. I'd go with the Legacy Club. Both board before general boarding, although I'm not sure which tends to board before the other. (I've boarded from both but didn't notice if one group of passengers seemed to board before the other.)

Wow, a big price difference between $20 & $50! Especially for a one-shot deal. I suspect I'll be going with the Legacy! :)

It also sounds like the Legacy will suite my purpose better anyway.

What times are Happy Hour? The SWC 3 leaves at 3PM & seems to be regularly on-time. I'll get there around Noon.

"We just boarded from the Metro Lounge last month. I did not see anyone boarding from the Legacy Lounge earlier since we were the first group in the sleepers on the SWC #3. The "gate keepers" did not check our tickets as our group made our way to Track 22, assuming we were all the sleeper passengers that had just been called. We had no kindergarten leader ahead of us like in the old lounge. Red Caps did take passengers before we were released down the hall in the Metro Lounge, so I suppose you could have a Red Cap service get you down to the train ahead of everyone else.

But that is another issue that has been hashed around here before with varying degrees of support :)

Wow, a big price difference between $20 & $50! Especially for a one-shot deal. I suspect I'll be going with the Legacy! :)

It also sounds like the Legacy will suite my purpose better anyway.

What times are Happy Hour? The SWC 3 leaves at 3PM & seems to be regularly on-time. I'll get there around Noon.
First happy hour is 12:30-2:00 (second is 4:30-6:00) so you should be golden for sipping a few drinks then getting on the train with priority boarding.

Thanks for all the info! Looks like I'll be going the Happy Hour this Fri. in the Legacy Lounge before heading west on the SWC!

Take care,

Frank

I posted a rather extensive review of my recent experience with the Legacy Lounge here a few weeks ago. The moderator moved it to the "Travelogue" section, however. You can still go there and read it - probably worth your while.

For me, it was worth the $20. But I suspect the boarding process might vary some from train-to-train and day-to-day.

Here is a copy of my Review of the CUS Legacy Lounge about 4 weeks ago:

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:43 PM

I posted a question here a few weeks ago asking about the benefits of the new Legacy Club in terms of seating priority. I am a senior so already get a degree of priority seating and was wondering how the Legacy Club seating compared vs. the standard senior seating. The responses that came back were varied - some saying that Legacy and Senior were seated at the same time and others that the Legacy seating had priority.

Yesterday I took my actual trip (#5 Chicago to Denver) and elected to pay the $20 extra for the Legacy Club, primarily just to satisfy my curiosity. My experience is only one datapoint, but here is what happened:

I only arrived at the station in time to spend about 1.5 hours in the Legacy Club and had already been well fed, so I certainly didn't extract the maximum value in terms of food and drink. I had some water (3 choices on tap: Cold Filtered, Room Temp Filtered and Sparkling Cold). Also a small container of OJ to take on the train along with a bag of veggie chips. The first happy hour was on during my visit, so I had a half glass of wine also. You are allowed 3 alcoholic drinks at each of the two happy hours. Overall, I'd rate their selection of snacks as very good. High end versions of chips, energy bars, sodas, etc.

The free wifi was also a definite plus. Average in performance: 4.3 Mbps down and 0.6 up. But certainly much better than the zero wifi in the normal boarding area. Also desks and counters set up for laptop charging, etc.

The bathrooms are nice, with large counters and sinks. Shoeshine machines also.

The Legacy Club is quite spacious with a large array of comfortable couches and chairs. A couple of large screen TVs with news, etc. When I was there (around noon) there were perhaps an average of 15 people there at any given time, all spread out in various areas. So felt very uncrowded and like you could have you own "private" space if desired.

At 1:15 PM (45 minutes before train departure) they asked for all people on the #5 to come forward to walk to the train. This was encouraging because the Seniors normally board about a half hour before departure. There were only two of us on this occasion, and a Legacy Club rep walked us over to the entrance to the tracks - where the door to the senior waiting area exits. It seemed like she was going to walk us directly to the train, but then she said she had to speak with the boarding agent in the normal waiting room. She spoke with her and between them they designated two seats near the door for the two of us to sit in. Not sure it works this way every time. Maybe the Legacy Rep can bypass this step sometimes but on that day the train just wasn't ready to immediately accept passengers? Don't know.

In any event, after 3 or 4 minutes the gate agent said they were ready to begin boarding and said that the two Legacy passengers would go first. So we did. The seniors seemed to be hot on our trail shortly thereafter. It was a full train and of course we (not traveling together) were directed to the appropriate cars (Denver for me, California for him). Do believe I was the first on on my car and had my choice of seats (YAY - much better than being assigned). Seemed like that day they allowed most people to find their own seats, although they had a few rows labeled "couples only". Then at the end, the conductor helped fill the remaining seats. Someone was put next to me then on the aisle, but she got off in Omaha and I had both seats for sleeping.

So I was overall very happy and glad I spent the $20. Believe I would do it again, especially if I were to be at the station for a longer period.

I posted a rather extensive review of my recent experience with the Legacy Lounge here a few weeks ago. The moderator moved it to the "Travelogue" section, however. You can still go there and read it - probably worth your while.

For me, it was worth the $20. But I suspect the boarding process might vary some from train-to-train and day-to-day.
Thank you very much for your posts! Very informative!

I think I'll pay up & hang out in the Legacy Lounge. Sounds like a pretty good spot to begin my latest adventure. :)

Frank

The Legacy Lounge is gorgeous. I almost wish I could choose to hang out in that lounge instead of the Metropolitan Lounge when I have a business class/sleeper ticket. I like it so much better.

Back