Gps. iPad

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ref5035

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Going from Los Angeles to New Orleans

interested in getting a scanner and something GPS so I can follow the track live on iPad. More of a google earth type vs just highways. Is there such a thing ?

I do have an android phone and an I pad

Scanner ? Type ?

From Houston we are taking a cruise ship well the same scanner be able to be used on the cruise ship

Does your iPad have LTE capability? If so, it contains a GPS chip and can be used as an adequate GPS. You won't have constant cell connections on your trip, but you won't need them. You can download maps from Google Maps and store them on your iPad before you leave. Then the GPS chip will plot your location on the downloaded maps even in areas without a cell connection.

Word of warning - When the train is near El Paso, make sure to switch your settings to non-roaming! Otherwise, your data signal may be picked up by a Mexican cell tower - and you'll be charged international rates!

I left mine on roaming, and it got picked up by a Mexican tower. I received a nice bill for like $9 for "international roaming"! :eek:

Word of warning - When the train is near El Paso, make sure to switch your settings to non-roaming! Otherwise, your data signal may be picked up by a Mexican cell tower - and you'll be charged international rates!

I left mine on roaming, and it got picked up by a Mexican tower. I received a nice bill for like $9 for "international roaming"! :eek:
Just disable International Roaming, leave Domestic Roaming on.

This depends on your plan as well - a fair amount of plans these days include roaming in Mexico and Canada at no additional charge, so if you're on a Mexican tower it's not a big deal with those plans.

So you only need to switch your settings to non-roaming (or non-international roaming) if your plan doesn't include it. If it includes international roaming at no extra charge, keep it on! :)

Word of warning - When the train is near El Paso, make sure to switch your settings to non-roaming! Otherwise, your data signal may be picked up by a Mexican cell tower - and you'll be charged international rates! I left mine on roaming, and it got picked up by a Mexican tower. I received a nice bill for like $9 for "international roaming"!
This depends on your plan as well - a fair amount of plans these days include roaming in Mexico and Canada at no additional charge, so if you're on a Mexican tower it's not a big deal with those plans. So you only need to switch your settings to non-roaming (or non-international roaming) if your plan doesn't include it. If it includes international roaming at no extra charge, keep it on! :)
Nearly every major provider plan includes some form of preauthorized international roaming, the question is what rate structure you have. Never assume that your international roaming plan is rationally priced without checking in-detail first. I've had nasty surprises with both Canadian and Mexican roaming in years past and yet my bills were company paid and far below the worst case scenarios you read about in the news. At this point I have an unlocked phone and flat rate data plan that works almost anywhere in the world but international contracts are subject to renegotiation and it's always advisable to check periodically to avoid any major surprises. If you wait until a massive bill shows up it's already too late.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use an Android application called CoPilot by ALK Technologies. By default the maps are loaded on the device, but can also be stored on a memory card. I have all of North America stored in just a couple of gigabytes on a 64GB SD card in my phone. I'm actually using it right now on the Pennsylvanian:

WIN_20170703_083532.JPG

(shot with my Surface Pro 2 just now)

You pay for the maps once, and get (as far as I can tell) lifetime updates. The application and its maps will even span across any additional compatible Android devices added to your Google account.

---PCJ

This is what I got a few years ago for my first LD trip.

gps.motionx.com
I have an app named GPS HD from MotionX. I understand that it is a 32 bit app with no 64 bit version available. Periodically, iOS warns me that it will slow the iPad (which I have not noticed), and I have read that iOS 11 will not allow 32 bit apps to run.

Regarding scanners, generally a multiband scanner will cover both the railroad and marine bands, as well as many others.

Cruise ships only use the marine band for navigational purposes. For internal ship communications, many have gone to an internal cell phone system, which being encrypted cannot be monitored on scanners...

I have an app named GPS HD from MotionX. I understand that it is a 32 bit app with no 64 bit version available. Periodically, iOS warns me that it will slow the iPad (which I have not noticed), and I have read that iOS 11 will not allow 32 bit apps to run.
I contacted them and asked them about that and they said they're working on an update. They couldn't tell me when they expect to have it available.

Someone told me about an iOS app called GPS Tracks. Does anyone have it?

I notice in Maps that I can enter a trip from one Amtrak station to another, select transit and it's routed as good as tracking it in MotionX. If there were a way to save it to a GPX file it would be perfect...

Also....

Los Angeles to houston ... schedule arrive 11am in houston on cruise day

Based on history is it reasonably safe we will make it down to Galveston by 3 pm for cruise ship ??

Too risky ?? Safe bet ???

We will use private transportation houston to Galveston

Much too risky for something as important and expensive as a cruise. I would almost suggest taking the northern route via Kansas City, Galesburg, Springfield, and Longview (ETA: with the intention of arriving on the previous day), but the Southwest Chief has had so many timekeeping issues of late that you can't depend on those connections, either.

Galveston is a very nice city and well worth a couple of days' pre-cruise visitation. Is taking the next previous Sunset Limited and spending a couple of nights in a Galveston hotel a real possibility? I can recommend the Moody Gardens Hotel and also the Tremont House downtown near the railroad museum and The Strand.

Second ehbowens ideas!

The traffic in Houston is horrible and the Gulf Freeway between Houston and Galveston is more like a Parking Lot most times.

Spending a couple of days in Galveston is sort of a New Orleans Light with a Beach!

That'd be too risky for me no matter what transportation method I was using to get to Houston, at least for a cruise that likely isn't easily rescheduled or cancelled. According to Google Maps, it's 56 minutes to get from downtown Houston to downtown Galveston, and any minor delay could throw that off. Even flying in same-day for a cruise like that seems risky in this type of case - if a flight goes haywire or there's some delays there's not enough cushion to meet a hard time that's not easily rescheduleable such as a cruise.

I'd get in a day or two early, whether it's staying and exploring Houston or Galveston. I've never visited either town, so I can't recommend which one is better, though I'd imagine it'd be more relaxing if you stay the night before the cruise in Galveston so that you don't have to worry about traffic hiccups the day of.

If you do go in early:

• Moody Gardens is a destination in and of itself. You can easily spend two full days there without getting bored.
  • Schlitterbahn water park is adjacent to the Moody Gardens complex.
  • Downtown Galveston features The Strand historic district and the tall ship Elissa
  • In my completely unbiased opinion :cool: , the collection at the Galveston Railroad Museum is worth a couple hours of your time.
  • I recommend the Star Drug Store for a modestly priced lunch and La King's Confectionary for great ice cream treats.
  • Amtrak serves Galveston from Houston via an extension of the Thruway bus from Longview, although you'll have to cool your heels in the Houston station for a couple of hours before it arrives. Pop over to Landry's Downtown Aquarium for some great (albeit expensive!) food and a mild diversion.
Edit to Add: The Galveston Amtrak connection works when coming from or departing to the west and north, but it's not good leaving to the east after your cruise. For that matter, even the various van shuttles (which run only to Hobby Airport) are tough to make work leaving eastbound. Best to have privately arranged transportation that you can depend on. I'd be leery of Uber or Lyft, but an actual limo service or the equivalent should be fine.

That'd be too risky for me no matter what transportation method I was using to get to Houston, at least for a cruise that likely isn't easily rescheduled or cancelled. According to Google Maps, it's 56 minutes to get from downtown Houston to downtown Galveston, and any minor delay could throw that off. Even flying in same-day for a cruise like that seems risky in this type of case - if a flight goes haywire or there's some delays there's not enough cushion to meet a hard time that's not easily rescheduleable such as a cruise.
There's a reason why cruise lines buy up huge blocks of seats on those 5:30 am flights....

Besides, even if everything did work out and the cruise was made on time, they would be spending thirty-six hours biting their nails and fretting at every stop signal, passing siding, or every station stop which ran five minutes too long. Is that really how they want to start their vacation?

There's a reason why cruise lines buy up huge blocks of seats on those 5:30 am flights....Besides, even if everything did work out and the cruise was made on time, they would be spending thirty-six hours biting their nails and fretting at every stop signal, passing siding, or every station stop which ran five minutes too long. Is that really how they want to start their vacation?
Who wants to start their vacation waking up at 3:30AM for a 5:30AM flight? I've tried that a few times and found it to be highly undesirable. At that hour I tend to be exhausted and confused and prone to making mistakes. The staff seem grouchy and stressed out over getting the first wave of flights off and running. I'd imagine cruise lines book really early flights because they tend to be much cheaper, but I've discovered that traveling at a reasonable hour can be worth twice the price of the cheapest early morning ticket. Later this year I'm going to try a midnight long haul flight and see if I like those better. In theory I can get in a full day's work at my job and run some pre-trip errands. Then take my time getting to the airport and having a meal and some drinks before boarding and then falling asleep with some AVOD content. It sounds perfect to me. Now it's just a matter of confirming it works out as well as I hope.

Who wants to start their vacation waking up at 3:30AM for a 5:30AM flight?
I hear you. As a matter of fact, I'm taking a cruise (to Alaska) with my parents in September. We're leaving Houston three days early (we wanted to see more of Vancouver after our overnight visit last year). Air was booked through the cruise line; they still put us on an early flight but it's 0710 and we decided to spend the night before in the hotel in the airport.

I took plenty of those 0530 flights in the two years I worked aboard an oil tanker....

Back