Amsnag Alert emails

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tennessee Traveler

Conductor
Is anyone else receiving multiple emails from biketrain stating "you have not set up a fare alert in 90 days. If you don't set up a fare alert your account will be closed."? I've never set an fare alert and to my knowledge never "joined" biketrain. I was unable to find an email address to reply to biketrain. Is this spam email? I received over 20 of these identical email starting Friday June 23 and they continue this morning.

I have also received them.

A long while ago, when asked on AU for "testers", I volunteered to receive emails. I occasionally receive test messages, but I ignore these. (I'm good at ignoring things! :giggle: ) I think these are also test messages.

I don't think they are spam.

FWIW, I'm signed up with AmSnag, do have active Fare Watches but have not received any such emails - not even labeled as "junk".

I wouldn't open one of those unsolicited notices with a 10 foot pole. You've nothing to gain by doing so and maybe much to lose.

I don't use the fare alerts because my vacation days are not really flexible.
The point of the fare alerts is to notify you of a drop in a fare on a day of interest, for example, on the day you are traveling.

Before purchasing a ticket, I use Amsnag to decide on travel days. (If your travel days are fixed, then you would skip this step.) After purchasing a ticket, I ask Amsnag to notify me if the fare drops on the day I will travel. if the fare goes down, then I call Amtrak and modify my reservation.

FWIW, I'm signed up with AmSnag, do have active Fare Watches but have not received any such emails - not even labeled as "junk".
Same here. But I believe I set up the fare alerts within the past 90 days, so I don't meet the conditions for getting the messages as described in the original post.

Same here. But I believe I set up the fare alerts within the past 90 days, so I don't meet the conditions for getting the messages as described in the original post.
Same here. And that alert saved me a bit of money when the fare dropped at the last minute (after having gone up quite a bit in the meantime).

I haven't used the fare alert in awhile and have been getting these emails. They are annoying and hope someone can take care of the problem. I use Amsnag regularly and have found it to be very helpful. Thanks in advance to Paul or whomever can stop these.

I wonder if you go to amsnag directly and set up a fare alert - any random one - it will stop the emails. Once Paul responds, then you can cancel the fare alert.

Just an idea.

Great idea, AmtrakBlue! Like many good ideas, it's fairly obvious after the fact. If anyone tries it, please report the results here.

I suspect the site may have been hacked as I cannot imagine why the numerous emails that I have also been receiving would offer such an alternative. Lets wait to hear from the owner of the site for his explanation
I doubt it has been hacked. I suspect just a coding/programming error.

If it was something malicious, there would be an attachment or link in the email.

I suspect the site may have been hacked as I cannot imagine why the numerous emails that I have also been receiving would offer such an alternative. Lets wait to hear from the owner of the site for his explanation
I doubt it has been hacked. I suspect just a coding/programming error.

If it was something malicious, there would be an attachment or link in the email.
That's my thought, too.

Nothing bad about the emails. They are text only. Nothing to be concerned over.
Doesn't need to have an attachment to be dangerous if the email merely contains a link supposedly to Amsnag for the recipient to set an alert, but that link instead points to a bogus website.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing bad about the emails. They are text only. Nothing to be concerned over.
Doesb't need to have an attachment to be dangerous if the email merely contains a link supposedly to Amsnag for the recipient to set an alert, but that link instead points to a bogus website.
That is what I meant by text only. No links. My last response even mentions the lack of links in the email.

Back