Sac to Chi then Chi to Sea

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aegis

Train Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I am considering the above trip..This would complete two routes I have not traveled on. I have done the SWC to Chi and then DC. I do the CS twice a year from Sac to ALY. I will book a roomette, not sure if I am going alone or not..Any suggestions?? .. Plan on 2-3 nights in Chi.. before the return on Empire builder..

We did the westbound Empire Builder (to Portland) and the eastbound California Zephyr last September. Worked out great. Regardless of which direction you choose, I highly recommend making the trip.

I've now ridden every Amtrak route west of Chicago, save the Texas Eagle between San Antonio and Austin and the San Joaquin.

I agree that the EB is better going east. The most scenic portion of the route - through Glacier National Park - lasts only a couple of hours. Going west, there's a good chance that it'll all be in the dark, depending on the time of year and how late the train's running. Going east, you go through the park in the morning, so it'll almost certainly be in daylight.

I've only done the CZ westbound, but I imagine it would be good in either direction.

Back