Crescent between WAS & NYP cancelled for summer

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My son and daughter-in-law are scheduled to go from ATL to NYP in July. They got notified by Amtrak that the Crescent will terminate in WAS until September 1. We are taking the Crescent from GRV to NYP in late September. Hop they do restart it by Sep 1.

I hope it's because of the NYP track work and not something else.

My son and daughter-in-law are scheduled to go from ATL to NYP in July. They got notified by Amtrak that the Crescent will terminate in WAS until September 1. We are taking the Crescent from GRV to NYP in late September. Hop they do restart it by Sep 1.

I hope it's because of the NYP track work and not something else.
It is due to NYP track work.

The truncation of the Crescent at D.C. is part of the required service reductions due to New York Penn Station track work. Several regional trains will be canceled and some Empire Service trains will be sent to Grand Central Terminal as part of the work project.

I believe Crescent passengers will be accommodated on Acellas.

The truncation of the Crescent at D.C. is part of the required service reductions due to New York Penn Station track work. Several regional trains will be canceled and some Empire Service trains will be sent to Grand Central Terminal as part of the work project.

I believe Crescent passengers will be accommodated on Acellas.
I know southbound there's the choice between regionals & Acelas. I would hope the same is true northbound.

What about checked baggage from WAS to NYP?

jb
Probably will go by Silver Star between WAS and NYP?
Right, there's no problem there. Silver Star, Meteor, Carolinian, Palmetto, and Regional 67/66 all can carry baggage between those cities.
Maybe there's a problem.

I just did a pseudo booking for 7/21 from New York (NYP) to Atlanta (ATL). The trains the reservations system came up with are:

Dep. 83 from NYP at 2.02 p.m arriving WAS at 5.20 p.m.

Dep. 19 from WAS at 7.55 p.m. arriving ATL at 9.41 a.m. (on the 22nd)

So, If I get to NYP at noon, 67, 79, 89 and 91 are already gone.

97 leaves NYP at 3.15 p.m. and gets to WAS at 6.55 p.m. - so that's a possibility, but with only 1 hour leeway.

Needless to say, I'd be worried about my luggage making the connection.

jb

Last edited by a moderator:
If the luggage is dropped off before the departure of Silver Star it will travel by Silver Star. Otherwise it will arrive in New Orleans or Atlanta or wherever a day after you do. For Charlottsville, Lynchburg, Greensboro and Charlotte, it will arrive less than a day late.

I would hope that Amtrak would probably inform the passengers about the options regarding checked baggage, but they probably won't.

Amtrak is guaranteeing the connection at WAS between the southbound Silver Meteor and the Crescent. I'm guessing that becomes the preferred southbound checked luggage option with bag transfer at WAS. There does not appear to be a corresponding northbound option.

Actually, if Amtrak has managed to get the later southbound scheduled agreed to by NS, that solves the baggage check in problem substantially, since the Crescent would essentially be running on the marker of the Meteor out of Washington (or just vice versa). And northbound it is just a matter of getting the luggage a few hours later the same afternoon at points north of Washington. Indeed, if they ran the Crescent a little later the gap would be even less.

What about checked baggage from WAS to NYP?

jb
Probably will go by Silver Star between WAS and NYP?
Right, there's no problem there. Silver Star, Meteor, Carolinian, Palmetto, and Regional 67/66 all can carry baggage between those cities.
Maybe there's a problem.

I just did a pseudo booking for 7/21 from New York (NYP) to Atlanta (ATL). The trains the reservations system came up with are:

Dep. 83 from NYP at 2.02 p.m arriving WAS at 5.20 p.m.

Dep. 19 from WAS at 7.55 p.m. arriving ATL at 9.41 a.m. (on the 22nd)

So, If I get to NYP at noon, 67, 79, 89 and 91 are already gone.

97 leaves NYP at 3.15 p.m. and gets to WAS at 6.55 p.m. - so that's a possibility, but with only 1 hour leeway.

Needless to say, I'd be worried about my luggage making the connection.

jb
My other solution (ignoring that I guess 19 may have a later departure, in addition to a guaranteed connection) is that you are able to check bags up to 24 hours in advance. ..Not that I'd want to deal with Penn Station just to check bags, unless I was fortunate enough to live within a reasonable distance. But, it is possible.

We have a trip booked from Boston to New Orleans 4th of July week, with a one hour layover in New York Penn.

Would our route be affected??

We have not received any emails or texts from Amtrak.

We have a trip booked from Boston to New Orleans 4th of July week, with a one hour layover in New York Penn.

You are OK. The schedule change is in effect from July 10 to September, 1.

Last edited by a moderator:

If it did affect you, it would be the easiest to fix. You have to transfer anyway. They can just as easily have you transfer in WAS as opposed to NYP. It's the people in NYP and PHL who will have the most inconvenience.

If it did affect you, it would be the easiest to fix. You have to transfer anyway. They can just as easily have you transfer in WAS as opposed to NYP. It's the people in NYP and PHL who will have the most inconvenience.
But Pooh it doesn't affect you, so you can ignore all this railfan nerd analysis ;)

What were they given to get from Washington to NYP? Or is that strictly up to them?

jb
They said they got refund of WAS-NYP portion of Crescent and free tix WAS to NYP. Don't know which train yet. Got text msg from them.
UPDATE:

My son said they were immediately refunded to their credit card the value of the WAS-NYP portion AND given free coach tickets on a regional to NYP from WAS. They felt it was a very fair deal. They will be going from NYP to BAL on the way back then after a stay there, they will return to ATL. I assume, they got a similar deal - refund of BAL-WAS and free tix on a regional.

Back