Amtrak Siemens Charger locomotive (SC44, ALC42, ALC42E) (2015 - 1Q 2024)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another video of the Charger display at the California State Railroad Museum by YouTube user Copper Cruz which includes a look in the cab.

From Railroadfan.com the following trains will have the Charger on them:

AMTRAK Train.....#954 Chicago to Pontiac, Monday, May 1, 2017. Depart Chicago at 10:00 AM Central Time. Arrives Pontiac, 5:45 PM Eastern Time.
AMTRAK Train.....#959 Pontiac to Chicago, Tuesday, May 2, 2017. Depart Pontiac at 8:00 AM Eastern Time. Arrives Chicago 1:25 PM Central Time.

AMTRAK Train.....#960 Chicago to Port Huron, Wednesday, May 3, 2017. Depart Chicago at 10:00 AM Central Time. Arrives Port Huron 5:38 PM Eastern Time.
AMTRAK Train.....#963 Port Huron to Chicago, Thursday, May 4, 2017. Depart Port Huron at 7:45 AM Eastern Time. Arrives Chicago 1:10 PM Central Time.
I plan on being trackside today & will try and grab some pics. It's not believed to be leading.

peter

Here's a couple videos of testing from the past several days. The first one from YouTube user Scott Nauert shows the 4611 leading its test train in Missouri on April 25.

Video from yesterday by YouTube user jchwayz shows the westbound Empire Builder at Winona, Minnesota with Cascades Chargers 1400 and 1403.

Nice video.

The westbound Empire Builder? I know they are sending them to Pueblo for testing and burn in. Are they then being sent to Chicago before heading back to Seattle?

Nice video.

The westbound Empire Builder? I know they are sending them to Pueblo for testing and burn in. Are they then being sent to Chicago before heading back to Seattle?
Due to the problem on the coast starlight, the first batch went the long way to Seattle...

Nice video.

Due to the problem on the coast starlight, the first batch went the long way to Seattle...
Got it, somehow I didn't make that connection in my mind.

Reading the latest section 305 meeting notes, it sounds like the Chargers, at least those that have been delivered, will probably be in service before the summer ends.

I saw them at Chicago Union Station yesterday, at about 10:30. I'm headed back that way this evening - try to get a shot of them as I go by if they're still there.

Several Siemens Chargers related developments here in Seattle...

The first two locomotives are now in Seattle. On Monday I spotted them parked at the end of the Sounder storage tracks at the Holgate Street Yard. They now appear to have moved inside the Amtrak maintenance building.

18491680_10158642694560576_9080415708183823986_o.jpg

WSDOT is holding a "rollout event" for the Chargers this Sunday, May 21st at 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on the platform of King Street Station. There will be the standard speeches from elected officials, commemorative giveaways, opportunities to take photos in front of the train, and informational displays about the locomotives. What there won't be are cab tours. WSDOT says due to "safety restrictions," no one will be allowed on/in the locomotives.

Here's a link to the Facebook post detailing the event.

Also interesting, WSDOT has launched a new ad campaign for the Cascades... and the Chargers are the new "face of the service" on billboards around Seattle.

Here's a tweet showing one of the billboards.

WS1402 and WS1404 are making their was home from Pueblo. 3(20) should intercept them in ABQ.

The first two locomotives are now in Seattle. ...

attachicon.gif
18491680_10158642694560576_9080415708183823986_o.jpg

WSDOT is holding a "rollout event" for the Chargers this Sunday, May 21st at 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. on the platform of King Street Station. There will be the standard speeches from elected officials, commemorative giveaways, opportunities to take photos in front of the train, and informational displays about the locomotives. ...

Here's a link to the Facebook post detailing the event.
Hope the Rollout Event goes well today -- a big crowd, plenty of reporters and TV cameras, happy politicians.

The goal here is to get another 20 or 30 minutes or so out of the run time to Portland. That's gonna need another Stimulus-sized pile of money and much political support to happen. But the new locomotives are a solid step.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ceremony is on Facebook. Small crowd from the looks of it. The toast was done with cider.

Just a couple shots I took of SC-44 1402 & 1404 while they wait to join #3 which is only looking to be 30 minutes tardy today.

ImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1495577695.217143.jpgImageUploadedByAmtrak Forum1495577703.190929.jpg

Video of the Roll-out Event at King Street Station by Evergreen Railfan Productions. Also, here's a news article about the event.

Thanks. I needed to see the sign reading, "Two additional round trips between Seattle & Portland coming fall of 2017," confirming that delayed start up.

I'd been hoping that at least one of the main corridor upgrades paid for by the Stimulus would start new timetables sooner, like, July, when all the work is supposed to have finished. Just wishing to have a simple success story to brag about while Congress is considering Amtrak's future funding. But I guess WSDOT doesn't feel the same urgency.

Thanks. I needed to see the sign reading, "Two additional round trips between Seattle & Portland coming fall of 2017," confirming that delayed start up.

I'd been hoping that at least one of the main corridor upgrades paid for by the Stimulus would start new timetables sooner, like, July, when all the work is supposed to have finished. Just wishing to have a simple success story to brag about while Congress is considering Amtrak's future funding. But I guess WSDOT doesn't feel the same urgency.
I don't know if I'd say the startup is "delayed."

Here's the situation... Sounder, the commuter rail service, is also adding two round trips between Seattle and Lakewood this fall.

All of the transit authorities in this region do their service shakeups on the same day, twice a year. The next shakeup will take place September 23rd.

That's when the new Sounder runs will be added and slots can be opened up for the Cascades trips without having to do special supplemental timetables for Sounder.

Here's the situation... Sounder, the commuter rail service, is also adding two round trips between Seattle and Lakewood this fall.

All of the transit authorities in this region do their service shakeups on the same day, twice a year. The next shakeup will take place September 23rd.

That's when the new Sounder runs will be added and slots can be opened up for the Cascades trips without having to do special supplemental timetables for Sounder.
Good info.

Amtrak is currently listing jobs for a/c and engineers out of Portland. Service increase or replace attrition? We will see. Is there time to qualify crews Nisqually to Tacoma (Freighthouse)?

Is (or will be) Tacoma (Freighthouse) ready for Amtrak by Sept 23?

Is (or will be) track from Lakewood to Nisqually ready by Sept 23?

While Sept 23 might be the golden date (taking the pessimistic-realist view) I still think it will be somewhat later.

Good info.

Amtrak is currently listing jobs for a/c and engineers out of Portland. Service increase or replace attrition? We will see. Is there time to qualify crews Nisqually to Tacoma (Freighthouse)?

While Sept 23 might be the golden date (taking the pessimistic-realist view) I still think it will be somewhat later.
My understanding is that the track is being tested at this time, and that it should be ready for service sooner than later.

Video from today by Castro's Railfans Videos shows Chargers CDTX 2106 and 2104 trailing on an Amtrak California train at Auburn, California.

Is there time to qualify crews Nisqually to Tacoma (Freighthouse)?

Track construction from Lakewood to Nisqually is finished and has already been tested using Amtrak equipment traveling at full speeds.
Construction on the new Tacoma station at Freighthouse Square appears to me to be progressing on schedule. The walls are up and the windows have been installed. (WSDOT has a construction camera so you can check the progress: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/projects/Rail/pnwrc_PtDefiance/constructioncam/default.htm )

As to getting crews qualified... I don't know. I'm not sure how long that process normally takes. With the new locomotives coming online, Amtrak should be able to lash together a special train to get crews qualified on both the Chargers and the new territory.

As to the startup date, I tend to be pessimistic when it comes to Amtrak and projects being done on time... but I think good progress is being made. If no major problems arise and nobody drags their heels... the trains should be able to start running Sept 23rd.

That said, the schedule shakeup is set in stone. Even if Amtrak/WSDOT aren't ready... the new slots will be ready for them, and the current train schedule may need to be tweaked to accommodate their revised slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back