Kissimmee Construction May '17

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jis

Permanent Way Inspector
Staff member
Administator
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
I traveled from Kissimmee to Tampa and back by the Star on Saturday the 13th. Construction for SunRail is in full swing at Kissimmee.

The Parking Structure is done but is still at least a couple of months away from being commissioned apparently. Meanwhile reconstruction of the Parking Lot by the station building has taken all the parking spots except the handicapped and loading/unloading spots by the platform out of service for the time being. This means no short or long term parking at the station. Rumor has it that it will be a week or two before the new parking lot becomes available with the better and bigger long term parking lot. So plan accordingly if using KIS. Call and ask about the parking situation before traveling through there.

Meanwhile for a trip like mine which involved no overnight parking but parking for longer than three hours, no one seems to mind if you leave your car in the Civic Center parking lot across the track.

Will this mess be finished by the time I take the Meteor in March 2018? I'm getting dropped off, so no parking concerns.

Will this mess be finished by the time I take the Meteor in March 2018? I'm getting dropped off, so no parking concerns.
Yes. The parking structure will be in service by Fall this year, and the SunRail trackwork and new platform should also be done by then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. The parking structure will be in service by Fall this year, and the TriRail trackwork and new platform should also be done by then.
I know TriRail is expanding to downtown Miami, but wouldn't a Kissimee extension take away a large portion of Brightline's market? :) Speaking of Sunrail, is there any news as to weekend service? It would be nice to take a weekend Amtrak trip TPA-KIS/ORL/WPK and ride the full SunRail system before I leave next summer to go to college in CHI.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back